• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "QDOS CV Review Offer"

Collapse

• Cid
    replied
    i recently had my CV redone by one of the professional outfits.

What happened is that i was applying for Head of IT roles and one agent who i called and chased said he wasn't going to put me forward as my CV was far too long and listed a lot of technical skills etc.

He suggested that if applying for Head of IT roles then the hiring managers who are going to be reviewing applicant are going to speaking an entirely different language

i mulled it over for a bit and decided that its worth having it done properly.

Sure there are many people who can write very well, but I'm not one of them, and if the cost of getting the next gig is a days rate, its gotta be worth the money.

i have since secured a new contract as a Head of IT, How much of a part did my new CV play ? Well i suspect it was very important as both the hiring manager (MD) and HR director made it clear they have no technical knowledge.

As much as i think the new CV is full of C type jargon.
    it is at the end of the day what they understand.

Leave a comment:

• Manic
    replied
    So an update. Had my CV and Linkedin profile updated. Initial feedback from peers and agents is that it is very good. Not had chance to use it yet though as secured a new gig on my old CV. Have a direct contact for the CV writer if anyone interested (bit cheaper direct).

Leave a comment:

• Manic
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    Oooops. There is plenty of free advice out there that should allow you to improve that without having to pay for it IMO.
    Yup I know. It's not easy as it is rare that I actually apply for anything and as such I therefore don't have a tailored CV. I have technical, programme and project management roles, sometimes hybrid and every role is relevant. Thankfully most are 1year plus, some being several years but I could do with a way of rolling up generic experienece which is relevant to many gigs.

Time is the issue really, so am keen to see what this outfit will offer.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by Manic View Post
    Cough 7 cough

Oooops. There is plenty of free advice out there that should allow you to improve that without having to pay for it IMO.

Leave a comment:

• Manic
    replied
    Ohhh.. How many pages? Spill..
    Cough 7 cough

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Bravo.

in the meantime I've submitted my (admitedly a little overly long) CV and will let you know my thoughts.
    Ohhh.. How many pages? Spill..

Leave a comment:

• Manic
    replied

Bravo.

in the meantime I've submitted my (admitedly a little overly long) CV and will let you know my thoughts.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    And as if by magic....

https://www.contractoruk.com/forums/...ntractors.html

Leave a comment:

• simes
    replied
    Originally posted by saptastic View Post
    It is free so worth a try but am sure they will up sell you - I have always thought it is worth a fresh pair of eyes for £100 or so. [/url]
    To be frank, come gig hunting time, I always ask each and every agent for feedback. Each set of eyes is different, each knows what they want and every conversation is free.

Advice to be taken on board or not.

Has always worked for me.

Leave a comment:

• saptastic
    replied
    Same outfit Saptastic.
    Ah - Okey dokey.

Leave a comment:

• Manic
    replied
    Same outfit Saptastic.

Leave a comment:

• saptastic
    replied
    It is free so worth a try but am sure they will up sell you - I have always thought it is worth a fresh pair of eyes for £100 or so.
    You don't have to take their advice but my highlight some key points to help you get a gig.
    Most people think she should get a gig because they are perfect for it - but that still has got to come across effectively to a pimp or others will trump you.

CUK offer one from the CV webinar people so you can compare to QDOS - that should be interesting

Contractor CV review - why get your CV reviewed?

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
    I know a couple of people who've used the CV and Interview advisers (who do the webinars) and have thought it was worth the money.
    Interesting. The majority of the feedback of the people that used them on here seemed quite negative. Always meant to come to one of the webinars but never managed to make it yet.

I imagine there is a wide gap of quality on offer. Some will re-write your CV for you using generic good practice (but not focussed enough for us) where others will advise you on the best way to format and present what you want who also understand the market. I suppose you need to do the proper research and pick the right outfits. You'd think QDOS will have done with that with anyone they partner with.

Leave a comment:

• mudskipper
    replied
    I'd be very interested in your feedback about the whole experience. I remember in the previous CV discussion we only got one or two people saying they'd had a review like this and it didn't work for them so more feedback would be very useful.
    I know a couple of people who've used the CV and Interview advisers (who do the webinars) and have thought it was worth the money.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    You echo my thoughts. I'm thinking it won't do any harm, and I may learn something, or maybe even validate it's quite good
    I'd be very interested in your feedback about the whole experience. I remember in the previous CV discussion we only got one or two people saying they'd had a review like this and it didn't work for them so more feedback would be very useful.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X