• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Advice Needed Please be Gentle with Me"

Collapse

• psychocandy
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    Shut it you gormless pillock.
    Now I'm sure young lady in question could claim JSA when not working.......

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
    So am I all three? ;-)

Now, OP about claiming JSA when you're on maternity leave.....
    Shut it you gormless pillock.

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    So am I all three? ;-)
    You might think that. I couldn't possibly comment.

Leave a comment:

• WordIsBond
    replied
    Flippin heck OP even NLUK has been nice on this thread!
    Just because he's nasty to you doesn't mean he is to everyone. You're special, you are.

Well, not that special.

Leave a comment:

• worrieduk
    replied

Some good advice here but bottom line is look after number 1....
    I have been very lucky and glad for all the good response.

Leave a comment:

• worrieduk
    replied
    Originally posted by WordIsBond View Post
    The client will want a seamless handover. So they want enough time to find and clear someone before you leave. If you allow two weeks for recruitment and two months for compliance checks you should tell them 3 months before you plan to disappear. That gives a couple weeks for you to bring your replacement up to speed.

If you have a substitute to offer you could shorten that by a couple weeks, since they may not have to do any recruitment.

It's possible they'd let you go but if you have been doing a good job for them they won't. They will want you to stay until the new person is on board.

Tell them you wanted to give them plenty of advance notice.

Also, you should tell them you will still be willing to take phone calls after you've left to answer questions, if needed. You are a professional and want their project to succeed even if you have to step back from it.

Remember, you are trying to build a business. A business responds to the needs of its customers or it dies. So put yourself in their shoes and do your best to make this as good for them as you can. They should remember that.

I wouldn't bother with telling the agent until when your contract says you have to. They may learn from your client and that's fine. If they contact you, you can just say you will be giving them notice in accordance with your contract.
    Thank you. I will consider your advice [emoji846]

Leave a comment:

• worrieduk
    replied
    So am I all three? ;-)

I don't plan to do that. I should qualify for at least maternity allowance.

Leave a comment:

• WordIsBond
    replied
    The client will want a seamless handover. So they want enough time to find and clear someone before you leave. If you allow two weeks for recruitment and two months for compliance checks you should tell them 3 months before you plan to disappear. That gives a couple weeks for you to bring your replacement up to speed.

If you have a substitute to offer you could shorten that by a couple weeks, since they may not have to do any recruitment.

It's possible they'd let you go but if you have been doing a good job for them they won't. They will want you to stay until the new person is on board.

Tell them you wanted to give them plenty of advance notice.

Also, you should tell them you will still be willing to take phone calls after you've left to answer questions, if needed. You are a professional and want their project to succeed even if you have to step back from it.

Remember, you are trying to build a business. A business responds to the needs of its customers or it dies. So put yourself in their shoes and do your best to make this as good for them as you can. They should remember that.

I wouldn't bother with telling the agent until when your contract says you have to. They may learn from your client and that's fine. If they contact you, you can just say you will be giving them notice in accordance with your contract.

Leave a comment:

• psychocandy
    replied
    Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
    So, we're not quite so bad...tbh, we tend only to savage the stupid, lazy and people trying to pull a fast one.

No matter how much they whine when you quit, they'll be your best friend like a shot if they can make money from you again.
    So am I all three? ;-)

Leave a comment:

• psychocandy
    replied

Some good advice here but bottom line is look after number 1....

Leave a comment:

• psychocandy
    replied
    Originally posted by uk contractor View Post
    Do not tell the agency until you are about 6-7 months into the pregnancy.

They seem nice people to you now so do the client but trust me on this I have well over 20 years IT contracting experience. If you tell them soon they will replace you fast. Do a good job for 6-7 months then tell the client first see what they say BEFORE telling the agency otherwise the agency will find your replacement & try to talk the client into accepting them to preserve their income stream. I have seen this happen several times as well over the years. The agency will seem nice to you now as your about to be an easy income generator for what they expect is a long time! Their attitude will change drastically when you have to tell them. Forget loyalty its a one way street. Do the 6-7 months to get some money your going to need for your new family then tell them & they will still most likely let you work up to month 8 if you want to.

Best case scenario is if the end client likes you they will invite you back in the future if you do a good job and they like you as a person. The agency is quite literally the last priority you want to tell. Once you have been recruited just taking a cut from your earnings & will have little to any day to day contact so do not deserve to be told until the last possible moment around the 6-7 months mark gives them time to find a replacement.
    Very good post this....

Leave a comment:

• worrieduk
    replied
    Originally posted by l35kee View Post
    What is the notice period? I wouldn't use the word "guaranteed" if it's outside of IR35!

Sent from my SM-G955F using Contractor UK Forum mobile app
    Noted. I think what I wanted to say what work only planned for 12 months all things going well. Notice period is one week.

Leave a comment:

• l35kee
    replied
    Originally posted by worrieduk View Post
    Hello, not sure if I understand fully but it is a 12 month contract which might be renewed depending on if the client has more work, however work only guaranteed for the 12 months signed. I am using a LTD. Thank you.
    What is the notice period? I wouldn't use the word "guaranteed" if it's outside of IR35!

Leave a comment:

• worrieduk
    replied
    Originally posted by l35kee View Post
    Because you mentioned 12 months.. Is this a "contract" contract or a fixed-term contract? Are you using your Ltd?

Hello, not sure if I understand fully but it is a 12 month contract which might be renewed depending on if the client has more work, however work only guaranteed for the 12 months signed. I am using a LTD. Thank you.

Leave a comment:

• l35kee
    replied
    Because you mentioned 12 months.. Is this a "contract" contract or a fixed-term contract? Are you using your Ltd?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X