• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "How much was your warchest?"

Collapse

• gables
    replied
    No warchest here when I first went contracting in 1993.

Started talking with agents whilst still permie and had loads of interest but due to not having a start date it seemed to stall things. So I handed in my notice giving me 5 weeks, and the agents went silent, panicked slightly but kept at it and picked up a contract in Brussels in week 5, contracted without bench time until 2002.

Market is different now I grant you, but at the time my skills were very much in demand so felt confident.

Leave a comment:

• bigthumper
    replied
    In my 30's, so yes, ultimate defeat sounds about right!
    Glad I went through the pain though, its all come good eventually...so far

Leave a comment:

• MattZani
    replied
    Originally posted by bigthumper View Post
    Had to bail out of my flat and go back to parents
    How old were you then?

I don't know but, personally speaking, going back to living with my parents would be the ultimate defeat

Leave a comment:

• bigthumper
    replied
    Setup Ltd company almost exactly 2 years ago.
    Had about 3k in bank, but permie job was a drag so left anyway.

Took 2 months to get first Contract gig.
    Had to bail out of my flat and go back to parents until I could build a war-chest as I was completely broke.

Since then I have bought a 300k house, and have not been out of a contact for longer than 2 months since!
    (by choice)

Best move I ever made, although I was single then and probably wouldn't take the same risks now with a family.

Leave a comment:

• SussexSeagull
    replied
    About two months. It then took me about two months to find my first contract.

Leave a comment:

• jamesbrown
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladyuk View Post
    If you upped your game, you'd be able to charge > £2.50.
    No, this really is my maximum game

Leave a comment:

• northernladyuk
    replied
    Originally posted by jamesbrown View Post
    So roughly 2.9999999 years with a weekly visit to nlady.
    If you upped your game, you'd be able to charge > £2.50.

Leave a comment:

• jamesbrown
    replied
    Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
    It's important to maintain standards.
    So roughly 2.9999999 years with a weekly visit to nlady.

Leave a comment:

• Old Greg
    replied
    Originally posted by WTFH View Post
    So 1 week?
    It's important to maintain standards.

Leave a comment:

• WTFH
    replied
    Originally posted by vadhert View Post
    About 3 years if I stay off the hookers and coke

So 1 week?

Leave a comment:

• vadhert
    replied
    About 3 years if I stay off the hookers and coke

Leave a comment:

• edison
    replied
    About 9 months including cash and other savings like shares/ISAs.

I was fortunate that I still had the bulk of a larger redundancy payment from two years earlier.

Although my warchest was quite big to start, it was a risk in the sense I quit a six figure package permie role before even starting to look for a contract role. I just hated some parts of my job and had to get away.

Took about 6-7 weeks to land my first interview and I started about 3 weeks later.

Leave a comment:

• ctm
    replied
    £0 but my girlfriend had around 2 months of my outgoings covered (if I didn’t go out or buy anything).
    Got my first contract during my notice period of the perm role and they were happy to wait. Just been extended again, currently have cover for about 4 months, but by the end of the new extension and probably the end of this contract I should have 7-8 months cover.

Leave a comment:

• TonyF
    replied
    Originally posted by WTFH View Post
    No body, no crime, no redundancy
    I used to date a girl who's father killed her mum / step-mum (can't remember which) and hid the body in pieces around Spain. He still got done for it, got released on a technicality and then said "yep, I did it".

No body, but he still did time for it.

Leave a comment:

• psychocandy
    replied
    Originally posted by SteelyDan View Post
    Not all of it; when it gets too tough he/she claims it's offensive then cries off to the mods leading to 'infractions'...
    :-)

Leave a comment:

Working...
X