• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "help with background check"

Collapse

• MrButton
    replied
    Originally posted by Lance View Post
    Given the crap advice you gave, that the OP followed, what on earth makes this good as well?
    Yep.

Leave a comment:

• tarbera
    replied
    Given the crap advice you gave, that the OP followed, what on earth makes this good as well?
    The client has said that they want to see evidence of a payment plan. To not do that risks the role.

You might be right this time, that it being settled will be enough, but that’s not what’s been asked for. The OP needs to play their game.
    If he had came clean he would have no offer, as no payment plan was offered the debt today is what it was when he defaulted he has no story to tell that would have satisfied the agency/client

Holding his hands up would have just got him kicked out sooner in the process as I have seen many times

Leave a comment:

• Lance
    replied
    help with background check

Originally posted by tarbera View Post
    Op never put a payment plan in place, it's still at default status, at rbs we once had 8 out of 13 offers withdrawn for defaults from £500 to a few K, most of the people were unaware they had defaults (ex wives, partners, moving banks and dd not been moved over, fraud by others in own account, working abroad for 6 months and forgetting to pay gas bill etc) people for roles that never touch customers or money ever ever a PMO for example

Settle the debt op it will go settled

Look for another role
    The client has said that they want to see evidence of a payment plan. To not do that risks the role.

You might be right this time, that it being settled will be enough, but that’s not what’s been asked for. The OP needs to play their game.
    Last edited by Lance; 10 March 2018, 13:11.

Leave a comment:

• tarbera
    replied
    Originally posted by BR14 View Post
    you Have to be honest with these checks. you've put yourself in a bad position now. - has everything been paid?
    Op never put a payment plan in place, it's still at default status, at rbs we once had 8 out of 13 offers withdrawn for defaults from £500 to a few K, most of the people were unaware they had defaults (ex wives, partners, moving banks and dd not been moved over, fraud by others in own account, working abroad for 6 months and forgetting to pay gas bill etc) people for roles that never touch customers or money ever ever a PMO for example

Settle the debt op it will go settled

Look for another role

Leave a comment:

• BR14
    replied
    Originally posted by mikelmb View Post
    just a quick update! I have been given a start date, but they conducted an extensive background check (credit check) on me. I never declared the defaults but they found out and asked me to prove that there is a payment plan in place or the offer would have been withdrawn (just because of unpaid phone bills!).
    you Have to be honest with these checks. you've put yourself in a bad position now. - has everything been paid?

Leave a comment:

• mikelmb
    replied
    just a quick update! I have been given a start date, but they conducted an extensive background check (credit check) on me. I never declared the defaults but they found out and asked me to prove that there is a payment plan in place or the offer would have been withdrawn (just because of unpaid phone bills!).

Leave a comment:

• radish2008
    replied
    Originally posted by WavyDavy View Post
    However, the experiences on here seem to be contrary to this.

Davy
    You are right.

Don't confuse experience with opinion ;-)

Apart from the RBS thing, which will be an in place check done by the bank under their employment T&C, not an employment screen done externally.

Leave a comment:

• radish2008
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    This appears to be really poor advice to me unless you can come up with some evidence. What you say is a bank won't go the extra step to look deeper in to someone's credit history when it's easy for them to do so and the penalties are so much let alone the losses the bank incurs? That's just ludicrous.

Experian themselves think that banks will do this...

How do I update a default and will it affect job chances? - Experian UK
    So it's not listed in Experian's service offering though.

Account history information is shared between lending institutions under the Principle of Reciprocity. This means that they see what they share. An employment screening company does not participate in this relationship and therefore cannot see this information. They can only see publicly available information which is the information Experian details on their website.

A bank will be able to see this info and RBS probably does it under the terms of employment, that wasn't the OPs question though - he was talking about a default stopping him getting the job an d my advice is that for an external screen he will probably be ok.

If a full credit search was routine then I would have seen it on my credit file in the search history - as it was I could see the employment screen only.

Leave a comment:

• WavyDavy
    replied
    Originally posted by radish2008 View Post
    No it really isn't. An employment screening agency does not have access to your account history or default information. I worked in a CRA for 5 years
    The above was my understanding of the situation. To see late payment and default information (i.e. a credit report) rather than only judgements and bankruptcies (public record), you have to be in a reciprocity arrangement with the CRA, i.e. be reporting data as well as consuming data - like a bank or utility company.

My understanding was that pre-employment screeners (HireRight etc) and agencies weren’t part of the reciprocity agreement with CRAs and so could not see this data. Only judgements and IVAs and Bankruptcies.

However, the experiences on here seem to be contrary to this.

I’m properly confused

Davy

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    There will be a credit check. But it will most probably be done by an employment screening company and they can only see public information, so bankruptcy, fraud etc. A default is not public information.

It's unlikely the bank will do a full credit check with histories etc. and if they did it would show on your credit file history. I guess it also depends which are of the bank you work in but I'd think the OP will be ok.
    This appears to be really poor advice to me unless you can come up with some evidence. [EDIT : I See you have in the post above now] What you say is a bank won't go the extra step to look deeper in to someone's credit history when it's easy for them to do so and the penalties are so much let alone the losses the bank incurs? That's just ludicrous.

Experian themselves think that banks will do this. If you are happy with gambling with 'might' then fill your boots.

How do I update a default and will it affect job chances? - Experian UK
    Last edited by northernladuk; 28 February 2018, 11:33.

Leave a comment:

• radish2008
    replied
    yes it is

yes they do
    No it really isn't. An employment screening agency does not have access to your account history or default information. I worked in a CRA for 5 years

From Experian's website:

What's the process?
    When you request a pre employment credit check, our system will quickly scour numerous public and private databases for any adverse financial warning signs. We check County Court Judgements (CCJs), bankruptcies, voluntary arrangements, decrees and administration orders. The Experian Adverse Financial Check also consults the candidate’s electoral roll registration to confirm their current address.

To answer your second point - why would the bank outsource their checks and then do them again ? I was hired in for a bank and underwent an enhanced screening - the agency took 6 weeks and went into massive detail, the bank didn't do anything.

Leave a comment:

• tarbera
    replied
    lol

. A default is not public information.

It's unlikely the bank will do a full credit check with histories etc.
    yes Its on your credit File you give authentication to vetting company to see

yes they do
    Last edited by tarbera; 28 February 2018, 11:28.

Leave a comment:

• radish2008
    replied
    Did you not read the post?
    There will be a credit check.
    There will be a credit check. But it will most probably be done by an employment screening company and they can only see public information, so bankruptcy, fraud etc. A default is not public information.

It's unlikely the bank will do a full credit check with histories etc. and if they did it would show on your credit file history. I guess it also depends which are of the bank you work in but I'd think the OP will be ok.

Leave a comment:

• ladymuck
    replied
    He was not lying to anyone - the default arrived in 3rd year of his contract, He has the experian notify service - same day he was notified he paid it off (nothing in his contract to notify RBS of defaults) - poor chap at time of divorce had paid it all off (and thought closed), ex-wife just ran up the bill a year later.

I forget my point I was making also
    Oh I thought you said the bank did a random check so he told the truth, a truth that would have come out if a full check had been done (one of your 1 in 10). I didn't realise you meant he did a random check and then told the bank what he found.

I will expand on my initial musings with "if you're not asked, don't tell; if you are asked, tell the truth"

Leave a comment:

• tarbera
    replied
    so he'd be booted for lying?

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
    I did say different areas have different approaches. A credit check would have shown it up anyway, as part of their random check, so he'd be booted for lying and having a default. Not sure what your example illustrates?

When I was last at RBS I had to be re-checked because I had three consecutive weeks off (furlough + extra).
    He was not lying to anyone - the default arrived in 3rd year of his contract, He has the experian notify service - same day he was notified he paid it off (nothing in his contract to notify RBS of defaults) - poor chap at time of divorce had paid it all off (and thought closed), ex-wife just ran up the bill a year later.

I forget my point I was making also

Leave a comment:

Working...
X