• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Is my accounting fee similar to others"

Collapse

• malvolio
    replied
    Originally posted by l35kee View Post
    Is that inc VAT? I pay less than that exc VAT but I get some nice additions like Free Agent and business insurance included.
    Don't bother answering, he's been banned for being a tit...

FWIW I pay £90 a month including VAT.

Leave a comment:

• l35kee
    replied
    Originally posted by fatboyslim View Post
    I am with an accounting agency that seems good but wondering if I am paying more than others. I pay £144 per month when in contract and £24 when out of contract.
    I have no issues with them, they respond to mails/calls when I need(which is very rarely).
    Is that inc VAT? I pay less than that exc VAT but I get some nice additions like Free Agent and business insurance included.

Leave a comment:

• fatboyslim
    replied
    Originally posted by jamesbrown View Post
    We await your thread of woe in General with trepidation.
    lol.. think its unlikely. I have not shared any password, so its all good.

Leave a comment:

• jamesbrown
    replied
    I have not given password either, I think its paid to HMRC by direct debit(not sure about the details).
    We await your thread of woe in General with trepidation.

Leave a comment:

• fatboyslim
    replied
    Originally posted by Sausage Surprise View Post
    Nearly twice what I pay
    oh no.
    I was checking gorilla accounting that was suggested here in another thread, they are a third cheaper but I like the fact that in my case I can pay only a small fee if I am out of contract. Does yours give such option?

Leave a comment:

• Sausage Surprise
    replied
    I am with an accounting agency that seems good but wondering if I am paying more than others. I pay £144 per month when in contract and £24 when out of contract.
    I have no issues with them, they respond to mails/calls when I need(which is very rarely).
    Nearly twice what I pay

Leave a comment:

• mudskipper
    replied
    I have not given password either, I think its paid to HMRC by direct debit(not sure about the details).
    You should be sure about the details - it's your business, not your accountant's. As others have said, there have been several examples of rogue accountants ripping off their clients (google Darren Upton) - you need to understand who you're paying, how and why.

Leave a comment:

• fatboyslim
    replied
    Originally posted by Hertsseasider View Post
    I pay the same amount so am guessing you are with the same mob as me. have used them for 5/6 years with very little issues. fill in all the details on line and they tell me what to pay and when. I've sort out the odd bit of advice and they've been fine.

If your happy with the service then best left alone, I can imagine it's a bit of a ball ache to change over

Cheers
    I was wondering if I was missing anything but seems its all good.
    Thanks for the replies guys.

Leave a comment:

• fatboyslim
    replied
    Originally posted by HugeWhale View Post
    They pay?
    My accountant does not have access to my account (apart from seeing statements). I wouldn't give my passwords away. If anything needs paying he tells me and I pay it.
    My neighbour is a musician and his band famously got ripped off by their accountant. This made me wary.

I hope you really trust yours.

Leave a comment:

• Hertsseasider
    replied
    I pay the same amount so am guessing you are with the same mob as me. have used them for 5/6 years with very little issues. fill in all the details on line and they tell me what to pay and when. I've sort out the odd bit of advice and they've been fine.

If your happy with the service then best left alone, I can imagine it's a bit of a ball ache to change over

Cheers

Leave a comment:

• tarbera
    replied
    yah

Its not about the Size of the Fee its how they use it, a large fee might be painful to swallow but provides excellent service, a small fee you might end up doing it all yourself !!!!

Leave a comment:

• LondonManc
    replied
    They pay?
    My accountant does not have access to my account (apart from seeing statements). I wouldn't give my passwords away. If anything needs paying he tells me and I pay it.
    My neighbour is a musician and his band famously got ripped off by their accountant. This made me wary.

+1

Don't mind them having access to myco's HMRC login for filing and reviewing things, but no access to the purse strings.

Leave a comment:

• Lance
    replied
    They pay?

Accountant Simon Pearce jailed for tax fraud - BBC News

Leave a comment:

• HugeWhale
    replied
    Ah I mean accountant not agency.
    I send them expenses and business bank statements and they pay to hmrc whatever due. (corporation tax, vat). What kind of other help can they give, since I have not tried any other accountant, I dont know(which is why I opened this thread).
    They pay?

Leave a comment:

• LondonManc
    replied
    Ah I mean accountant not agency.
    I send them expenses and business bank statements and they pay to hmrc whatever due. (corporation tax, vat). What kind of other help can they give, since I have not tried any other accountant, I dont know(which is why I opened this thread).
    Advice on expenses that you should and shouldn't claim, flag up if you're getting near breaching the 24-month rule on claiming T&S expenses, P11D issues & concerns, explaining what the sweet spots are in terms of salary take, dividend thresholds, etc.

Then there's the warning of what's changing each year - they'll review the budgets and advise you what's up, what's down in terms of divi tax, CT, etc.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X