• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Gambling debt and SC Clearance"

Collapse

• Old Greg
    replied
    Originally posted by Lance View Post
    £40k?
    Damn.

Double or quits?

Leave a comment:

• BigDataPro
    replied
    £40k?

Leave a comment:

• Lance
    replied
    Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
    How much d'you wanna bet?
    £40k?

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by GhostofTarbera View Post
    Most people have lost 3 times that in pension losses since lockdown - stocks is gambling also

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum
    I haven't.

Leave a comment:

• Old Greg
    replied
    Given that this is a 3 year old thread. and the OP hasn't posted since.
    I don't think you're going to get an answer.
    How much d'you wanna bet?

Leave a comment:

• Lance
    replied
    Originally posted by GhostofTarbera View Post
    Most people have lost 3 times that in pension losses since lockdown - stocks is gambling also

Losing your pension won't impact your chances of getting SC clearance though.

Leave a comment:

• GhostofTarbera
    replied
    Originally posted by BigDataPro View Post

Leave a comment:

• BigDataPro
    replied
    Originally posted by ITContractor20 View Post
    Well I have lost a significant amount to gambling this year. 40k at least.

Leave a comment:

• Lance
    replied
    Originally posted by contractor2020 View Post
    HI, has your SC clearance went well and have you got your SC cleared ?
    Given that this is a 3 year old thread. and the OP hasn't posted since.
    I don't think you're going to get an answer.

Leave a comment:

• contractor2020
    replied
    Have you got your SC cleared please ?

Hi guys,

I know the issue of SC has been asked several times on this forum having read the FAQ and other posts made by users. Although in relation to Gambling debt I am curious if anyone has had this and still managed to get SC Clearance? I am currently in 15k of debt due to a very dark period in my life right now and I am concerned that I will not be granted it and consequently lose my job.

The problem i have is that the debt is very recent and although I have never missed any payments my credit score is very very low right now. It was over 900 before on Experian.

Thanks for any assistance that can be given.

Regards
    HI, has your SC clearance went well and have you got your SC cleared ?

Leave a comment:

• Scruff
    replied
    Don't worry about debt - as long as you disclose it, and do not default on repayment, then you have very little to be concerned about?

If debt was a crime, then you might have concern.

Your concern should be your gambling habit - besides the personal grief, it leaves you open to being persuaded to do things that a "normal" person would never consider...Seek professional help.

Leave a comment:

• MrButton
    replied
    Apply, be honest. This is (in my opinion) the only thing you can do.

Your situation (from what you have said) shouldn’t be a huge concern.

Debt is debt. How you handle it is more what they will be concerned with.

There will also be an appeals procedure if you really needed to make a case. But seems like you’re being too sensitive.

Stick with permie!

Leave a comment:

• ITContractor20
    replied
    Originally posted by Snarf View Post
    I was about to ask a load of questions like is this a renewal? has there been a change in the role that now requires SC? But really this one line makes it quite simple :

"I am concerned that I will not be granted it and consequently lose my job"

From that I infer that you need SC clearance to do your job. If that's the case then I don't see that you have any option other to fill in the form honestly and see what comes back.

You basically have two options and three possible outcomes :

Option 1 : Fill in the form honestly and see what happens
    Possible outcome 1 : It gets approved
    Possible outcome 2 : It gets rejected

Option 2 : Dont apply for clearance because you dont think it will be granted
    Possible outcome 3 : It wont be granted.

If your job requires SC Clearance then only option one has a chance of you being able to keep your job... it doesnt cost you anything to apply for it, I dont see what the worry is.

If it helps I got clearance while sitting on top of 12k old credit card debt...
    The worry is that I will lose my job.
    Last edited by ITContractor20; 2 November 2017, 19:32. Reason: My job does legally require security clearance as of now.

Leave a comment:

• Snarf
    replied
    Hi guys,

I know the issue of SC has been asked several times on this forum having read the FAQ and other posts made by users. Although in relation to Gambling debt I am curious if anyone has had this and still managed to get SC Clearance? I am currently in 15k of debt due to a very dark period in my life right now and I am concerned that I will not be granted it and consequently lose my job.

The problem i have is that the debt is very recent and although I have never missed any payments my credit score is very very low right now. It was over 900 before on Experian.

Thanks for any assistance that can be given.

Regards
    I was about to ask a load of questions like is this a renewal? has there been a change in the role that now requires SC? But really this one line makes it quite simple :

"I am concerned that I will not be granted it and consequently lose my job"

From that I infer that you need SC clearance to do your job. If that's the case then I don't see that you have any option other to fill in the form honestly and see what comes back.

You basically have two options and three possible outcomes :

Option 1 : Fill in the form honestly and see what happens
    Possible outcome 1 : It gets approved
    Possible outcome 2 : It gets rejected

Option 2 : Dont apply for clearance because you dont think it will be granted
    Possible outcome 3 : It wont be granted.

If your job requires SC Clearance then only option one has a chance of you being able to keep your job... it doesnt cost you anything to apply for it, I dont see what the worry is.

If it helps I got clearance while sitting on top of 12k old credit card debt...

Leave a comment:

• Pondlife
    replied
    Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
    I've been asked when was the last time I placed a bet and how did it pan out before as part of a clearance process.
    Did you point out that Mr Tarbera's advice on equine related investments was in no way gambling. It's just that certain investments don't always pan out due to unforeseen circumstances.

A drunk jockey falling off a three legged nag must surely count as Force Majeure.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X