• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Been asked which agency I want to represent me"

Collapse

• bobspud
    replied
    Give Andy Piper at Mercator a call he’s one one the best agents I have come across.

Leave a comment:

• Hobosapien
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladyuk View Post
    Have you agreed a rate inclusive of margin? If so, Hays are likely to give you the best rate (and likely to take the job although they may grumble). Or Badenoch and Clark.

From my limited exposure to the new world order with PS procurement, I think as long as the contractor has agreed a rate with the client, it doesn't matter which agency the contractor chooses from the list, as either it will be a fixed margin or the client will cover the margin hence why the agency is on the list as they are within tolerance.

So from a contractor's point of view ensure the client has agreed the end rate and make sure anyone in the chain acknowledges that end rate will be what is on the contract you end up with.

As for Hays, I've used them once (a few years ago now) and had no trouble at all. They paid weekly, on a Friday if they received the approved timesheet by Tuesday IIRC. The only hassle, which probably happens 'everywhere' now is the need to present certain docs (passport, proof of address, etc) in person at one of their offices to prove you are who you are. Though they are so ubiquitous it's probably less hassle to go to the local office than risk losing the docs in the post.

Leave a comment:

• northernladyuk
    replied
    Originally posted by lotus_andy View Post
    There are about 500 on the list!
    Have you agreed a rate inclusive of margin? If so, Hays are likely to give you the best rate (and likely to take the job although they may grumble). Or Badenoch and Clark.

Leave a comment:

• Lance
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    His list is wrong.
    What you describe is what I called 'procurement rules'. The tinfoil hat bit was a tinfoil hat bit.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by pauldee View Post
    So the PS are insisting on agencies and now insisting on umbrella contractors for every contractor? Sounds like an appallingly inefficient use of public money. I wonder what the papers would make of it? Find a link between a senior civil servant and an agency/umbrella company and you'll have quite a juicy story.
    His list is wrong. PS have very complex engagement frameworks and a lot of hoops to jump through to get in and win work. It's there to make sure there isn't the link you mention which is why, as much as a PS body wants a contractor they have to put them through the framework. They cannot just issue a B2B contract and get on with.

This isn't unique to PS. Many private sector Co's have PSL so even though the manager found you, you'll still have to go through an agency if it is their policy.

Leave a comment:

• pauldee
    replied
    Originally posted by Lance View Post
    Various reasons.
    1) PS body not setup to do contractor payments, or have the legal nouse, the contractors LTD won’t be on the PSL, procurement rules
    2) [TINFOIL HAT] the IR35 status isn’t as clear as made out and the PS body want as much distance as possible [/TINFOIL HAT]
    3) PS HR refuse/don’t understand contractors

It’s not uncommon in private sector either.
    So the PS are insisting on agencies and now insisting on umbrella contractors for every contractor? Sounds like an appallingly inefficient use of public money. I wonder what the papers would make of it? Find a link between a senior civil servant and an agency/umbrella company and you'll have quite a juicy story.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by Lance View Post
    Various reasons.
    1) PS body not setup to do contractor payments, or have the legal nouse, the contractors LTD won’t be on the PSL, procurement rules
    2) [TINFOIL HAT] the IR35 status isn’t as clear as made out and the PS body want as much distance as possible [/TINFOIL HAT]

Non of these.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    I don't understand. If they've contacted you directly why do you need an agency?
    If you knew anything about the complex frameworks in PS you would.

Leave a comment:

• Lance
    replied
    I don't understand. If they've contacted you directly why do you need an agency?
    Various reasons.

Leave a comment:

• pauldee
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Hobosapien
    replied
    My rule (through bitter experience of a shyster agency going bust taking many thousands of contractors money with them) is the smaller the agency the shorter the delay I want in getting paid after timesheet submisson.

Weekly is best.

I'd only consider monthly if it was a big agency that is less likely to go 'bust' overnight. Fortunately lots of the bigger ones also do weekly as it's all automated via BACS.

Leave a comment:

• MrButton
    replied
    I was in the same situation a few weeks ago and was recommended 121 Recruitment Consultants, a small firm. The guy is called Balvir Dadral and he has been spot on.

Single client timesheet and weekly payment just one week in arrears.

PM me if you want their details

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by Hobosapien View Post
    You mean the agency declined an easy regular commission for doing nothing?

I'd be worried they think the 'outside IR35' status won't stand up to scrutiny and they don't want to be held responsible for the tax (as fee payer).

Though as this is a all new, I wouldn't put much faith in how it's supposed to work and would not want to be the first guinea pig to see how HMRC actually handle the mess, when PS client decides status of outside/inside IR35 but the agency is the one that has to worry about the tax (or offload that responsibility to an umbrella if they can, if I understand it all correctly)
    Nah. I'd guess it's either...
    They just don't want the hassle of going through whatever diligence and costs to get on the liat and get setup for just one contrsctor.
    They know they won't get on the framework if they aren't already on.
    They just don't want to deal with PS.

Leave a comment:

• Hobosapien
    replied
    Originally posted by lotus_andy View Post
    I nominated the one I used at a previous client as they paid bi-weekly but for some reason they've declined the offer.
    You mean the agency declined an easy regular commission for doing nothing?

I'd be worried they think the 'outside IR35' status won't stand up to scrutiny and they don't want to be held responsible for the tax (as fee payer).

Though as this is a all new, I wouldn't put much faith in how it's supposed to work and would not want to be the first guinea pig to see how HMRC actually handle the mess, when PS client decides status of outside/inside IR35 but the agency is the one that has to worry about the tax (or offload that responsibility to an umbrella if they can, if I understand it all correctly)

Leave a comment:

• fullyautomatix
    replied

Any decent agency would have a self billing setup paying you weekly as soon as timesheets are approved. Why did they decline the one you suggested?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X