• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Contract Renewal/Extension"

Collapse

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    Originally posted by Scrag Meister View Post
    I'm on a rolling 3 monther, and told there will be work until June 2018, still wont't give more than 3 months, but have previously been accustomed to 6m - 1year.

About to sign up for my 3rd extension, bringing it to one year.

I wouldn't fret it, and just adhere to the contractor mantra and "just keep invoicing".
    Amateur

My current project (initially three months) won't complete before end of 2018 at the earliest, by which time the client will look to replace the project that we've finished with something else. I may have left by then, I may not though.

Just passed 5 years, all in extensions of 6 months or less.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by Scrag Meister View Post
    I'm on a rolling 3 monther, and told there will be work until June 2018, still wont't give more than 3 months, but have previously been accustomed to 6m - 1year.

I wouldn't fret it, and just adhere to the contractor mantra and "just keep invoicing".

It lasts as long as it lasts.

Congrats on the extension to the end of the year.
    That's good to maximise expenses from a 24 month rule angle though no?

Leave a comment:

• Scrag Meister
    replied

It lasts as long as it lasts.

Congrats on the extension to the end of the year.
    Last edited by Scrag Meister; 18 September 2017, 07:12.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by zonkkk View Post
    It's worth asking whether they think there may be work for you at the end of the renewal. You get a feel for what's coming.

I see a strong possibility of another renewal just as good as a contract (at least with this client).

We all know things can change from one day to another and your typical signed contract has no real value in terms of end date (i.e. you don't get paid without a signed timesheet).
    But your third paragraph totally contradicts your first two. And for the record I disagree with the second one as a general comment. It's highly specific to your current client so I don't think it's much use as general advice.

Leave a comment:

• zonkkk
    replied
    It's worth asking whether they think there may be work for you at the end of the renewal. You get a feel for what's coming.

I see a strong possibility of another renewal just as good as a contract (at least with this client).

We all know things can change from one day to another and your typical signed contract has no real value in terms of end date (i.e. you don't get paid without a signed timesheet).

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by Bee View Post
    I didn't mention anything about commitment. You are always changing the meaning of simplest things with the same basic answers.

Personally, I've never abandoned or would abandon a good client with a good workload in the future.
    So what is the point of asking them if there is no confidence in their answer? You are asking them for an answer on which you are trying to make a decision.

Nothing you put is simple. Just making sense of it is a challenge.

Leave a comment:

• Bee
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    I very much doubt they'd be committing to extentions just after the next one has been offered. Even if they said yes there is a good chance they could change their mind in that length of time.
    I didn't mention anything about commitment. You are always changing the meaning of simplest things with the same basic answers.

Personally, I've never abandoned or would abandon a good client with a good workload in the future.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by Bee View Post
    Yes, I thought the same. If there is a lot of work I would check a possibility of another contract extension in December.
    I very much doubt they'd be committing to extentions just after the next one has been offered. Even if they said yes there is a good chance they could change their mind in that length of time.

Leave a comment:

• Bee
    replied
    Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
    It sounds like you have a good relationship with your client. Ask them. It's a simple conversation to have.

Something along the lines of "the agency sent through the contract paperwork but it's only to the end of the year, not the six months we discussed. Is that an error or has something changed?"

If you enjoy the work, it would be silly to refuse the extension without discussing it first. It's entirely possible that the company's financial year end is 31 December and it's easier from an accounting and admin perspective to have a clean split.
    Yes, I thought the same. If there is a lot of work I would check a possibility of another contract extension in December.

Leave a comment:

• ladymuck
    replied
    Originally posted by l35kee View Post
    Don't worry about it. We used to only ever give 3 month extensions, knowing full well we needed people for long after that.
    Ditto this. My previous client would do two months at a time, because longer would be seen as bad planning....

Leave a comment:

• l35kee
    replied
    Don't worry about it. We used to only ever give 3 month extensions, knowing full well we needed people for long after that.

Leave a comment:

• zonkkk
    replied
    Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
    Did the client share your expectations of how long the extension was likely to be? Or were you just expecting it to be six months rather than three?
    The extension offered was for exactly 12 weeks (including 1 week Christmas close-down).
    There was no hint that it would be any different to my previous extension and just found out it's because the big man only told them to renew (not for how long).

Leave a comment:

• zonkkk
    replied
    The man in charge only told HR to extend my contract and was just as surprised as I was when he heard about the end date; he also assured me there will be lots more work coming my way to take me long into 2018.

Leave a comment:

• l35kee
    replied
    I'm of the view that I'll stick with the client even it it would personally make sense to leave with an extension on the table because I can get another contract with a longer extension.

I'm new tho, so still happily naive.

Leave a comment:

• PermMCCon
    replied
    Z

In your words, "awesome client and excellent project".

This is great to hear and you will be surprised how many contractors I have seen leave great projects for more £££ somewhere else, only to then come back within a few months asking if they could return to our programme...

As per the other advice here, have a simple chat with them. Face to face, not email.

Something along the lines of

"Thanks for the contract extension, its a programme I really enjoy and happy to be part of. However, the extension only takes us to end of year?"

Leave it open, see what they reply. Dependent on that, you can then work on a 6 or 12 month extension.

All the best and do not under estimate how good it is to work somewhere you enjoy, that in itself is worth a lot.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X