• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Asking for advice

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Asking for advice"

Collapse

• billybiro
    replied
    Originally posted by SuperZ View Post
    If they're utter shambolic maybe we should be helping them improve? They also don't have deep pockets to be spending on IT systems, their purpose is to help others using the money donated to them. They can't afford to run a large project for it to fail, like the public sector can.
    I like the thought of working with a charity for a while
    Don't kid yourself. They really didn't care about maximising the money that actually went to the root charitable cause they were supporting. They couldn't afford the deep spending on IT systems, but they could afford to send an entire team of their execs off to far flung places in the world using first class travel and 5-star hotels all the way, mostly for simple, short "meetings" that could have easily (and considerably more cheaply) been conducted remotely over video conference.

And every project I did for them did indeed "fail" (for given definitions of "failure"). This was directly down to them wanting the moon on a stick and only wanting to pay peanuts for it. (The firm I was working through was the 4th firm in 3 years that this charity had used. This was because the first 3 had sacked the charity as a client!). They also absolutely insisted upon change after change after change (leading to massive scope creep) to the agreed project specifications without any equivalent alterations to cost or deadline. As such, every project was massively over budget, delivered late, and often without the "correct" features (i.e. "correct features" being whatever the client wanted that week). Failure by anyone's definition.

Worse, they never learned their lesson and continued to do the same idiotic things in every subsequent project leading to the (surprise, surprise) exact same results and no amount of attempting to "coach" them in running a successful IT project (no matter how "softly, softly" the approach) would wash.

Unless I was so desperate that there was simply no other work available anywhere else, I'd never work for a charity ever again.

Leave a comment:

• SuperZ
    replied
    If they're utter shambolic maybe we should be helping them improve? They also don't have deep pockets to be spending on IT systems, their purpose is to help others using the money donated to them. They can't afford to run a large project for it to fail, like the public sector can.
    I like the thought of working with a charity for a while

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
    Most major businesses only make money by having some sort of monopoly position e.g. paying almost no tax.

Especially true of banks. Oddly the only organized one I ever worked for was Goldmine sucks. They are supposed to be run by the illuminati or something. However they are incredibly well organized.
    http://forums.contractoruk.com/gener...ml#post2180739

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Originally posted by DaveB View Post
    Like many of the supposed Blue Chip enterprises. Current client co. is one of , if not the, biggest in it's market. Major global enterprise organisation and some of the stuff going on is just mind boggling.
    Most major businesses only make money by having some sort of monopoly position e.g. paying almost no tax.

Especially true of banks. Oddly the only organized one I ever worked for was Goldmine sucks. They are supposed to be run by the illuminati or something. However they are incredibly well organized.

Leave a comment:

• DaveB
    replied
    Originally posted by billybiro View Post
    This. I've done work for the biggest UK charity in their given field (and a very big charity generally) and they were utterly, embarrassingly shambolic.
    Like many of the supposed Blue Chip enterprises. Current client co. is one of , if not the, biggest in it's market. Major global enterprise organisation and some of the stuff going on is just mind boggling.

Leave a comment:

• billybiro
    replied
    Originally posted by v8gaz View Post
    Don't bet on it.
    This. I've done work for the biggest UK charity in their given field (and a very big charity generally) and they were utterly, embarrassingly shambolic.

Leave a comment:

• oscarose
    replied
    Keep an open mind - if you're anti/neg now then forget it. Don't want to be 2 weeks in and feel like jumping etc.

The opportunity may give you chance to broaden horizons and fit with your own personal values so you may even enjoy the experience!

Leave a comment:

• v8gaz
    replied
    Originally posted by Antman View Post

Tô be fair, the charity is one of the biggest in the UK, so maybe not so disorganised?

Thanks
    Don't bet on it.

Leave a comment:

• Antman
    replied
    One interview back at current client, went OK, but I'm becoming part of the furniture there and doesn't offer any future.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Any other irons in the fire? Interesting role?

Leave a comment:

• Antman
    started a topic Asking for advice

Asking for advice

I've heard what the general consensus is on working for a charity (ie. Don't do it) But this would be on a GDPR project, the main reason for me going for it.

Tô be fair, the charity is one of the biggest in the UK, so maybe not so disorganised?

Got the offer, lowish rate and away from home so mulling over it and I'd appreciate some help.

Thanks

Working...
X