• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "How to handle inferiority complex of Permie hiring manager..??"

Collapse

• Whorty
    replied
    Originally posted by Darren_Test View Post
    I have ~20 years experience and looking for Programme/Portfolio Manager roles. This role was the single point contact for a big vendor in one of the top UK service provider. So looking at the role, client and the vendor my experience wasn't excessive.

When I apply for project level roles I normally downgrade my CV. But what I always seen is most of contractors I have seen in the same level as mine was more experienced than me. Though whole 20 years experience is covered in my CV initial 10 years only job titles.
    If I was recruiting a Programme or Portfolio Mgr I'd be expecting their communication skills to be the best (both written and verbal) and unfortunately your written English is not great (at least not on what you have been writing on this thread). If your CV is of the same 'quality' I'd be binning it without an interview too. If agent wants a reason, I have a list I use and 'too experienced' is one I do sometimes roll out.

Leave a comment:

• Whorty
    replied
    Friends,

How to handle inferiority complex (!) of hiring/line/reporting managers while they recruit interview Contractors who are much experienced than them...???

Most of permie resources I worked are lesser experienced, last few interviews I am getting too much reference to "Excessive Experience "!!! How to handle this situation..?? Thanks.
    Write in poor English with poor grammar - that should do it.

Leave a comment:

• Darren_Test
    replied
    Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
    Then the client is up to something and I wouldn't worry about it.
    trying to see if this is a new trend... if so I need a major surgery in my CV!!

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    I have ~20 years experience and looking for Programme/Portfolio Manager roles. This role was the single point contact for a big vendor in one of the top UK service provider. So looking at the role, client and the vendor my experience wasn't excessive.

When I apply for project level roles I normally downgrade my CV. But what I always seen is most of contractors I have seen in the same level as mine was more experienced than me. Though whole 20 years experience is covered in my CV initial 10 years only job titles.
    Then the clients have just decided you don't fit for some prejudicial reasons. There is nothing you can do about that.

Leave a comment:

• Darren_Test
    replied
    "Excessive experience" means they don't like your CV, they think you are too old or you come across as a robot.

Someone else has answered the last.

The first means modify your CV so it doesn't have loads of your old experience on it.

With the second if you your age/look old do stuff like daily exercise (even if you are skinny), dye your hair or if bald shave it all off and if you smoke stop to look healthier as you will look younger.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    I had close look at the spec, it was an excellent match...I was glad agency called me because I was sure he couldn't find a CV more matching than mine!!!!
    Then the client is up to something and I wouldn't worry about it.

Leave a comment:

• Darren_Test
    replied
    All it means is the agent didn't understand the client's criteria.
    I had close look at the spec, it was an excellent match...I was glad agency called me because I was sure he couldn't find a CV more matching than mine!!!!

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    My issue is quite opposite , See my response to weakness query -
    http://forums.contractoruk.com/busin...ness-es-2.html
    I look too young as well. It has it's advantages and disadvantages in terms of contract roles.

Anyway means it's either the first - you sound like a robot- or the second - your CV has too much old experience on it.

Leave a comment:

• Darren_Test
    replied
    "Excessive experience" means they don't like your CV, they think you are too old or you come across as a robot.

The first means modify your CV so it doesn't have loads of your old experience on it.

With the second if you your age/look old do stuff like daily exercise (even if you are skinny), dye your hair or if bald shave it all off and if you smoke stop to look healthier as you will look younger.
    My issue is quite opposite , See my response to weakness query -
    http://forums.contractoruk.com/busin...ness-es-2.html

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    To be clear..I didn't talk the specific client where I was submitted for a senior role. Agency found mine suitable from pile of 100+ CVs and submitted for me. Before the interview to my surprise it got rejected.!
    All it means is the agent didn't understand the client's criteria.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Darren_Test
    replied
    Originally posted by Elliegirl View Post
    I found myself wondering if this was actually about you and the way you come across. What does 'excessive experience' really mean? is this a polite way of saying 'bloke fancies himself a bit'. They will have seen your CV; if you have the experience, you have the experience. Surely the manager is looking for someone who will deliver and he can bask in your limelight because he appointed you? or does he end up thinking you are some kind of a threat to him (despite being a contractor) because of your attitude?
    Please accept my apologies if I've got you completely wrong by the way.
    To be clear..I didn't talk the specific client where I was submitted for a senior role. Agency found mine suitable from pile of 100+ CVs and submitted for me. Before the interview to my surprise it got rejected.!

Leave a comment:

• Darren_Test
    replied
    Originally posted by silverlight1 View Post
    and don't drive the Porsche / Ferrari / Lambo to the office car park
    didn't had chance for that..

Leave a comment:

• SlipTheJab
    replied
    Originally posted by malvolio View Post
    No he didn't. In terms of costs to the client, we probably aren't.
    Permie devs at current client-co are not very good but are on 75k and more, add on employers NI, pension, sick pay, holidays, training, bonus etc and it is probably more expensive for then than getting a contractor in for 500 notes a day.

Leave a comment:

• SlipTheJab
    replied
    Originally posted by MrMarkyMark View Post
    I did actually say play the idiot
    Good point

Leave a comment:

Working...
X