• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: BAE systems

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "BAE systems"

Collapse

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by amanwhoisquiet View Post
    what's the setup like in Barrow for digs? Is it all B&Bs?
    If you are staying for more than 5 nights in a B&B it would be cheaper to buy a house

Leave a comment:

• amanwhoisquiet
    replied
    what's the setup like in Barrow for digs? Is it all B&Bs?

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied
    Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
    I've got a 206 mile drive to London. Coming down, I can do it in less than 3.5 hours, setting off before 4am and arriving just after 7am.

Setting off on a Friday at 2pm, I'm "happy" to get home by 7-7:30 and that's with me knowing the back routes of Cheshire that I can use to get up to the M62/M60. You'd then have another x hours to go to get up to Barrow.

Friday southbound on the M6 looks carp too - Flight to MCR then train to Barrow looks safest. That said, it's annoying that the only London to Manchester flights are from Heathrow.
    You would be quicker going by train all the way...

Leave a comment:

• LondonManc
    replied
    Originally posted by Elliegirl View Post
    hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha
    That's me laughing hysterically at the four hour point, just before I'm hauled out of the vehicle by police. I've had a licence since the age of 19. I love driving. Actual driving. Not sitting in traffic. I've not owned a car for five years because it's not worth it in London. 8 hour drive? nope.
    I've got a 206 mile drive to London. Coming down, I can do it in less than 3.5 hours, setting off before 4am and arriving just after 7am.

Setting off on a Friday at 2pm, I'm "happy" to get home by 7-7:30 and that's with me knowing the back routes of Cheshire that I can use to get up to the M62/M60. You'd then have another x hours to go to get up to Barrow.

Friday southbound on the M6 looks carp too - Flight to MCR then train to Barrow looks safest. That said, it's annoying that the only London to Manchester flights are from Heathrow.

Leave a comment:

• Elliegirl
    replied
    That was 20 years ago; with the 50 zones on the M6, the level of traffic on the M6. Even using the toll road, you're just missing the M6/M5 bottleneck and meeting the rest of the traffic at Cannock.

Depends whereabouts you are in London and what time you're travelling but it could easily go over 8 hours.
    hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha
    That's me laughing hysterically at the four hour point, just before I'm hauled out of the vehicle by police. I've had a licence since the age of 19. I love driving. Actual driving. Not sitting in traffic. I've not owned a car for five years because it's not worth it in London. 8 hour drive? nope.

Leave a comment:

• v8gaz
    replied
    Originally posted by portseven View Post
    I moved from Barrow to East London at the age of 10, bit of a culture shock
    Thats odd, I heard there were lots of barrow boys in the east end?

Leave a comment:

• LondonManc
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    To be fair it's proper f***ked all the way south of there at the moment as well.
    Yep, good fun in the early hours of Monday morning driving down. M40's buggered up around J9 as well now.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Makes sense; the M6 is still cobbled past Preston.
    To be fair it's proper f***ked all the way south of there at the moment as well.

Leave a comment:

• LondonManc
    replied
    Originally posted by FrontEnder View Post
    It's dial up only once you get past Ulverston.
    Makes sense; the M6 is still cobbled past Preston.

Leave a comment:

• FrontEnder
    replied
    No internet?
    It's dial up only once you get past Ulverston.

Leave a comment:

• LondonManc
    replied
    Originally posted by FrontEnder View Post
    Unless you want t odevelop a chronic alcohol problem, my advice would be to bring lots of books.
    No internet?

Leave a comment:

• FrontEnder
    replied
    Unless you want to develop a chronic alcohol problem, my advice would be to bring lots of books.
    Last edited by FrontEnder; 18 October 2016, 12:46.

Leave a comment:

• Acme Thunderer
    replied
    Been a couple of times to Barrow on Client business.

Tried the fly to Manchester and drive the rest. As someone suggested earlier its not worth the hassle, by the time you have got out the airport, got on the bus to the hire car place, collected your car you may well have just driven all the way.

I have made the full journey by road took me about 6 hours, but that was on a Sunday and billable.

Used the company plane straight to Walney Island, but as its only an 8 seater so getting a place is difficult enough with a Client Business need, let alone a contractor wanting to go up. Also it is quite common to be bumped off if a senior manger wants the seat.

Leave a comment:

• SimonMac
    replied
    Originally posted by portseven View Post
    Ditto, I spent my first decade of life in Barrow, still have lots of relatives there so visit often. I moved from Barrow to East London at the age of 10, bit of a culture shock, so the other way round would be similar

As others have said 4 hours from Euston on the train, and I can highly recommend the train from Lancaster to Barrow, really scenic as it skirts the edge of Morecambe Bay.

Barrow also makes some other stuff of note too, Pies!

I am curious though, is there much IT contract work at Vickers? Born there but never worked there, would be interesting to do a stint, plus free lodging from the family...
    Yep, massive IT systems, at the moment they are prepping for the Successor Programme, all the day to day IT is out sourced to Capita though so if you want to be involved in that side there is a cost

Leave a comment:

• portseven
    replied
    Originally posted by CoolCat View Post
    OK Submarines, Bog roll, and Pies... where is the Pie bakery then?
    Jarrow street, it's not far from barrow park

https://g.co/kgs/bvfCJI

Leave a comment:

Working...
X