• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Reskilling yourself in such a fast moving industry"

Collapse

• fool
    replied
    Originally posted by gables View Post
    So you mean homogeneous?
    Actually, drop the non-. Things that are different is a problem and thats why things like docker are popular, it gives you a standard format to host whilst inside the abstraction you can be doing anything you want.

Of course some smart arse will note we've just moved the problem and thus declare what we've did is pointless whilst others will assume the complexity has dissappeared. Neither are particularly useful and both fall into my previous sterotypes.
    Last edited by fool; 6 October 2016, 08:38.

Leave a comment:

• darrylmg
    replied
    Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
    Pay for Computer Weekly ... never! I always had a free subscription. All worked well till the internet took over. I used to read it, but once I progressed in the industry realised that they were full of tulip, the only reason to have it was for the classified Job ads in the back. You can still read it on-line if you like to fill you mind with 100% rubbish. CW jobs is the lineage for the job.

BTW: AS/400's latest name is i-Series / Series-i. Still in use in all the Top Investment banks for clearing. So some mileage left in that skill ...
    I got into Borland Delphi just because PC-Plus magazine gave away a free copy of Delphi 3.
    It wasn't for a career, back then it was just fun. So many software tools hadn't yet been written that you would decide to write your own.
    These days you just google it and you a dozen on cnet. The only problem is working out which ones are not going to do evil things on your systems.

Hence, I believe a re-skilling in either security architecture, secure programming methodologies or other security focused skills will be the best option for me for the next 10 years.
    I like the sound of a 5 day ethical hacking course, just from a raw interest in IT perspective.
    I have not yet investigated how lucrative contracting is in those areas.

Leave a comment:

• LondonManc
    replied
    Originally posted by DanielSQL View Post
    The whole lot.

I presume the demand for internet security experts is rather high these days.
    It depends what interests you - for example, there are companies that are paid to carry out penetration testing for example; that is, say a retailer creates a Christmas microsite, they'll pay a company to try and hack them and give them a report of any vulnerabilities.

Leave a comment:

• Bee
    replied
    Originally posted by pauldee View Post
    I think security is the only guaranteed growth industry. Don't tell anyone but it's actually easy: It's just basically the equivalent of fitting window locks and an alarm on your house, then waiting for the bad guys to go down the road where they haven't bothered fitting them
    No need of tech for that, with 2 German Shepherds your option is obsolete.

Leave a comment:

• pauldee
    replied
    I think security is the only guaranteed growth industry. Don't tell anyone but it's actually easy: It's just basically the equivalent of fitting window locks and an alarm on your house, then waiting for the bad guys to go down the road where they haven't bothered fitting them

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by Bee View Post
    Don't complicate the life of the newbie.
    You mean like giving them a view and advice when you don't know?

That said I make a living out of that
    Last edited by northernladuk; 3 October 2016, 11:39.

Leave a comment:

• Bee
    replied
    Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
    Which part? Pen testing, ethical hacking? Or the dark side?
    Don't complicate the life of the newbie.

Leave a comment:

• Bee
    replied
    What is the cyber security arena like?
    I have an impression that is a very interesting and a promising area, unfortunately is not my area.
    A good certification in Cyber Security could be good start.

Leave a comment:

• DanielSQL
    replied
    Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
    The whole lot.

I presume the demand for internet security experts is rather high these days.

Leave a comment:

• LondonManc
    replied

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    If I tell you I'll have to kill you. HTH

Leave a comment:

• DanielSQL
    replied

Leave a comment:

• gables
    replied
    Originally posted by fool View Post
    For the ones who can answer these questions, we move towards the problem statement:

You have N* non-heterogeneous applications; what problems do you face and how do you deal with them?
    So you mean homogeneous?

Leave a comment:

• pauldee
    replied
    Originally posted by Big Blue Plymouth View Post
    F#?
    Yeah that too.

Leave a comment:

• Big Blue Plymouth
    replied
    Originally posted by pauldee View Post
    Functional programming is definitely one of the paradigms we're all going to need in the coming years. So it's worth learning Haskell even if you never use it - it will mean you can pick up Scala or Clojure and run with it when you need to. It will even improve your JavaScript.
    F#?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X