• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "The 'Test' conundrum"

Collapse

• oliverson
    replied
    Originally posted by Malcolm Buggeridge View Post
    I was of a similar mind.

Done a few in the past which just vanished into the ether, so to speak, but secured my most recent role off the back of having completed a fairly hefty programming test.

Depends what else you've got in your queue I guess....
    Same here. These things come along once in a while but not too often. The test was a supposed hour or two but I spent a full day on it, on and off. Ordinarily I'd have avoided it but there market was very quiet and I'd just finished a role so I took the test on. In the face-to-face interview we got the code on the screen and I was asked about design decisions that were made. All in all it was a fair interview and the test was a fundamental part of the process rather than being just a barrier put before me. I landed the role and I'm actually there now so yes, it was worth my time. But similarly I've had some totally ridiculous requirements and I've knocked them back. You just have to weigh up what is being asked relative to what else you have on at that time.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by Agent View Post
    When you're working through an agency, who exactly do you think is your client? Your outlook is all wrong. The agency is contracting you for THEIR client, it's a simple thing that many IT Contractors struggle with. You have NO contract with OUR client.
    Oddly other agents don't have a problem with me supplying references directly to the end-client. I expect it's because they want me to take the contract as well...

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by gables View Post
    Best if that works both ways I find
    Old Greg would agree. He likes it both ways.

Leave a comment:

• gables
    replied
    You're probably right, alas the circle of recruitment continues. Like I mentioned in another post - a lead you give up today is a contract you secure tomorrow. You gotta give a little to get some back.
    Best if that works both ways I find

Leave a comment:

• Agent
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    It depends on whether it's a demand from the client or a sly trick for sales contacts from snake oil agents. I'll be betting it's the latter in a high percentage rate of times. So I'll generally opt for not meeting the demands which won't make an ounce of difference to getting the gig.
    You're probably right, alas the circle of recruitment continues. Like I mentioned in another post - a lead you give up today is a contract you secure tomorrow. You gotta give a little to get some back.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Same goes for references I guess, if you want the work you meet the demands, if you don't then you don't.
    It depends on whether it's a demand from the client or a sly trick for sales contacts from snake oil agents. I'll be betting it's the latter in a high percentage rate of times. So I'll generally opt for not meeting the demands which won't make an ounce of difference to getting the gig.

Leave a comment:

• Agent
    replied
    Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
    Which is none of their business, any more than you're at liberty to disclose your margin.
    Ha, true, I can disclose my margins if I needed/wanted to (and I do have open margins with some clients) but only if I want the project work. Same goes for references I guess, if you want the work you meet the demands, if you don't then you don't.

Leave a comment:

• LondonManc
    replied
    Sure, references confirming dates of assignment, job title etc are fine form the last agency. If my client wants references from the end client of your last project then that's what they'll ask for.
    Which is none of their business, any more than you're at liberty to disclose your margin.

Leave a comment:

• Agent
    replied
    Originally posted by jmo21 View Post
    OK I'll bite....

Most of you lot say the references are because the client wants them.
    Maybe it is!

Leave a comment:

• Agent
    replied
    Originally posted by gables View Post
    And, you'd (Agent) will presumably be happy with glowing references from my previous clients for e.g. HAYS, Parity because obviously their end client is not my client
    Sure, references confirming dates of assignment, job title etc are fine form the last agency. If my client wants references from the end client of your last project then that's what they'll ask for.

Leave a comment:

• gables
    replied
    When you're working through an agency, who exactly do you think is your client? Your outlook is all wrong. The agency is contracting you for THEIR client, it's a simple thing that many IT Contractors struggle with. You have NO contract with OUR client.
    Originally posted by jmo21 View Post
    OK I'll bite....

And, you'd (Agent) will presumably be happy with glowing references from my previous clients for e.g. HAYS, Parity because obviously their end client is not my client

Leave a comment:

• jmo21
    replied
    OK I'll bite....

Leave a comment:

• Agent
    replied
    Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
    I have no problem giving references directly to clients and I actually have done many times.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    No-one hates the tests more than the agencies, trust me. They are a pain in the backside and waste a huge amount of time.

I'd recommend offering references rather than completing a test as this would be testament to the quality of your work.... oh hold on, no one wants to give out references...
    I have no problem giving references directly to clients and I actually have done many times.

Leave a comment:

• Agent
    replied
    No-one hates the tests more than the agencies, trust me. They are a pain in the backside and waste a huge amount of time.

I'd recommend offering references rather than completing a test as this would be testament to the quality of your work.... oh hold on, no one wants to give out references...

Leave a comment:

Working...
X