• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "When the client is not the client"

Collapse

• SimonMac
    replied
    Originally posted by eek View Post
    Told You So
    Ah well, the joy's of contracting, bit pissed off as I turned down other offers for this one, but again the old adage is until your bum's on a seat nothing is certain

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied
    Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
    Hmmmm, just seen the role has been re-advertised by the agent, guess I have pissed him off
    Told You So

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Hmmmm, just seen the role has been re-advertised by the agent, guess I have pissed him off
    Or you've got a better beard.

Leave a comment:

• SimonMac
    replied

Leave a comment:

• MrMarkyMark
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    Don't forget the rule is introduction or supply and the agencies are taking that line so in their eyes you can still be asked to opt out. I was reading a resource page on the Lorien site that clearly explained that you go for interview, get the gig and then can opt out. I can't find it to save my life now sadly but anyway, there is no case law and the wording is wooly enough for the agents to think they have a case.
    Of course, you can voluntarily opt out at any time.

Unsure whether I would take Lorien as a golden source .
    Agree totally it is all pretty wooly and nothing is proven in case law.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by GB9 View Post
    From what I understand, you are inside the agency regs. You have been introduced, interviewed, offered. The only thing you haven't done is have a quickie with the CEO. Asking you to opt out now should be irrelevant.
    Don't forget the rule is introduction or supply and the agencies are taking that line so in their eyes you can still be asked to opt out. I was reading a resource page on the Lorien site that clearly explained that you go for interview, get the gig and then can opt out. I can't find it to save my life now sadly but anyway, there is no case law and the wording is wooly enough for the agents to think they have a case.

Leave a comment:

• SimonMac
    replied
    Nope I think now they will just bin you off... All you can do is wait and see....
    See my post earlier!

Leave a comment:

• MrMarkyMark
    replied
    Originally posted by GB9 View Post
    From what I understand, you are inside the agency regs. You have been introduced, interviewed, offered. The only thing you haven't done is have a quickie with the CEO. Asking you to opt out now should be irrelevant.
    Hes just a bit shy

Agree on your other points, however.

Leave a comment:

• GB9
    replied

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied
    I know I wasn't, just wanted to put it in an email that can be referred to later #JustInCase
    Nope I think now they will just bin you off... All you can do is wait and see....

Leave a comment:

• SimonMac
    replied
    You probably were not opted out anyway - I've never seen an agency do it correctly....
    I know I wasn't, just wanted to put it in an email that can be referred to later #JustInCase

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied
    If the end client was a multi billion pound constituent of the FTSE 100 I would say there is no problem too great that couldn't be sorted out, but seeing as its a 18 month old "consultancy" with more liabilities than assets I think I am right to be a little more cautious.

Just send an email back saying

If it put's their hackles up I know it could be problematic and will continue the other irons in the fire still, if they brush it off as no worries I am happy to continue
    You probably were not opted out anyway - I've never seen an agency do it correctly....

Leave a comment:

• SimonMac
    replied
    My guess is that a solicitor's letter stating that the clause was not been correctly implemented (prove otherwise) results in most agencies paying up....

I also suspect that not many people actually have problems that end up with the client not paying and those that do end up in that position are so bad that they don't bother chasing...
    If the end client was a multi billion pound constituent of the FTSE 100 I would say there is no problem too great that couldn't be sorted out, but seeing as its a 18 month old "consultancy" with more liabilities than assets I think I am right to be a little more cautious.

Just send an email back saying

Obviously this adds a small extra degree of risk given the relatively young age of the company, this means I will not be opting out of the The Conduct of Employment Agencies and Employment Business Regulations 2003
    If it put's their hackles up I know it could be problematic and will continue the other irons in the fire still, if they brush it off as no worries I am happy to continue

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    I'd agree with both of those.

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    Erm, I'll probably get this wrong and I should have searched but I thought if you had the correct opt status then the clause is invalid, like the handcuff clause for example. I'd have to check that though.

EDIT : OK I folded and did a search.

EDIT 2 : Agents are so bad at understanding the opt in/out situation it isn't a golden bullet. You are going to be in for a fight if they don't want to pay. I don't believe there is any case law over this yet. Hopefully that's because they are held bang to rights and it never goes that far. Leaving the term in and relying on your opt in status isn't ideal.
    My guess is that a solicitor's letter stating that the clause was not been correctly implemented (prove otherwise) results in most agencies paying up....

I also suspect that not many people actually have problems that end up with the client not paying and those that do end up in that position are so bad that they don't bother chasing...
    Last edited by Contractor UK; 12 October 2018, 21:44.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X