• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Nepotism in contracting"

Collapse

• SlipTheJab
    replied
    Originally posted by blackeye View Post
    I'm not a java monkey , you probably work for me in the real world .
    That was an analogy, and judging by your failure to grasp that I very much doubt it...and I work for no one but myself.

Leave a comment:

• blackeye
    replied
    Originally posted by SlipTheJab View Post
    Unless it's your uncle you've taken on for a 500 quid a day Java dev role when he is actually a qualified plumber it's not, networking should be part and parcel of your business strategy.
    I'm not a java monkey , you probably work for me in the real world .

Leave a comment:

• SlipTheJab
    replied
    Yes agreed. However what I'm actually curious about is whether nepotism, or 'networking' is actually how contracting works for most people.
    Unless it's your uncle you've taken on for a 500 quid a day Java dev role when he is actually a qualified plumber it's not, networking should be part and parcel of your business strategy.

Leave a comment:

• blackeye
    replied
    Originally posted by SlipTheJab View Post
    You fail to cite the obvious difference here, no time wasting pimp in the mix, networking is the way forward, I've not used a pimp to get a role for over 4 years now, keep networking and cut the shysters out!
    Yes agreed. However what I'm actually curious about is whether nepotism, or 'networking' is actually how contracting works for most people.

Leave a comment:

• blackeye
    replied
    Originally posted by TestMangler View Post
    So are we. Not everyone can make Cojak look clever, but you did.
    Perhaps once you've stopped drinking you might be able to reply like a normal human.

Leave a comment:

• SlipTheJab
    replied
    I'm interested in hearing peoples views on this topic.

I've had been looking for a new contract for about 3 months and like all of us, had endless waste-of-time calls fishing for information or trying to pitch perm roles they can't fill on the market. I worked my ass off to perfect my CV, ensuring I update my CV regularly on all the main channels etc, but got nowhere. 3 interviews but no offers (all of the interviews went well).

After about 2.5 months I started to get in touch with old colleagues, had an informal 'interview' with an old director and within 2 week I got a £550/d contract out of the blue, signed.

Do you think contracting is all about who you know and how does it compare to the wider perm market?
    You fail to cite the obvious difference here, no time wasting pimp in the mix, networking is the way forward, I've not used a pimp to get a role for over 4 years now, keep networking and cut the shysters out!

Leave a comment:

• TestMangler
    replied
    I'm so glad I joined this forum.
    So are we. Not everyone can make Cojak look clever, but you did.

Leave a comment:

• blackeye
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    Pwnd!!!!!
    I'm so glad I joined this forum.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by cojak View Post
    Another word for it is 'networking' and was the main premise of LinkedIn.
    Pwnd!!!!!

Leave a comment:

• cojak
    replied
    Another word for it is 'networking' and was the main premise of LinkedIn.

Leave a comment:

• blackeye
    started a topic Nepotism in contracting

Nepotism in contracting

I'm interested in hearing peoples views on this topic.

I've had been looking for a new contract for about 3 months and like all of us, had endless waste-of-time calls fishing for information or trying to pitch perm roles they can't fill on the market. I worked my ass off to perfect my CV, ensuring I update my CV regularly on all the main channels etc, but got nowhere. 3 interviews but no offers (all of the interviews went well).

After about 2.5 months I started to get in touch with old colleagues, had an informal 'interview' with an old director and within 2 week I got a £550/d contract out of the blue, signed.

Do you think contracting is all about who you know and how does it compare to the wider perm market?

Working...
X