• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Hostile Environment Day Rate Adjustment"

Collapse

• Old Greg
    replied
    Originally posted by DallasDad View Post
    I agree I was staying in the Slough Travelsplodge or Lenny Henry (can't remember which) some years ago and some toe rag on a BMX came along with a brick and did every side window of every car in the car park and side road just for a laugh.

I didn't go back there again
    Sorry about that.

Leave a comment:

• DallasDad
    replied
    Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
    My first contract was in Slough. The trick was to get to the Wetherspoon before dark and drink champagne until you were brave enough for a group dash to the Travelodge.
    I agree I was staying in the Slough Travelsplodge or Lenny Henry (can't remember which) some years ago and some toe rag on a BMX came along with a brick and did every side window of every car in the car park and side road just for a laugh.

I didn't go back there again

Leave a comment:

• psychocandy
    replied
    Used to work as a permie in Defence industry. Never went to any dodgy places but some of my colleagues did. Not for me thank you.

Not going into details for obvious reasons but even permies who went to dodgy places got a MASSIVE daily bonus. Life changing amounts for, say, 6 weeks there.

It was a LOT more than £150!!!!!

If you spend so long there (Even in a few visits) you get an active serice medal too.

Leave a comment:

• WordIsBond
    replied
    Maybe so, but it seems you've stumbled on a potent defense mechanism.

Leave a comment:

• Old Greg
    replied
    Originally posted by WordIsBond View Post
    I don't care what anyone else says, I think this was a valuable contribution on a professional forum.
    If you are planning a contract in a hostile environment like Slough, it most certainly is.

Leave a comment:

• WordIsBond
    replied
    After a Tuesday evening of nachos and champagne in Slough Wetherspoon you need an emergency evacuation.
    I don't care what anyone else says, I think this was a valuable contribution on a professional forum.

Leave a comment:

• CloudWalker
    replied
    Off to work dear, Don't forget your lunch!

Leave a comment:

• Old Greg
    replied
    Originally posted by WordIsBond View Post
    Things like insurance, emergency protection, evacuation, etc, they can probably cover you the same as they would cover their employees, and for a lot less than you can get it independently. That kind of stuff could and should all be written into the contract. The insurance issue is well-noted, but you should get them to provide it and they almost certainly would.

For two weeks, £100/day is £1000. Nothing. In general, if they are giving employees £100 / day "danger" payment, they'd probably be expecting to give contractors £150 / day. Whether that's worth it is up to you. You have a risk, and you have the inconvenience of being away from home, and the inconvenience of being tied to base for two weeks. You've been there and know what it is like, presumably. You have a reasonable idea of how risky it is. The risk matters a lot if you have family (especially kids) depending on you, less if everyone hates you and the world will hardly miss you when you are gone, more if you are young and have a full life ahead, less if you are older and your body is showing signs of shutting down before long anyway. You know whether you'll enjoy it, whether you want the gig or not, and how much you want it, and whether you need the money or not, and what you could do with it. You are best placed to assess how refusing, or accepting, the job will affect your business relationship with the client, and how important that relationship is to your business.

So figure out what it is worth to you based on all those factors. If all that doesn't work out to it being worth £150/day more, figure out what it is worth to you, and offer that. You're a businessman, price the job by what it is worth to you. If they won't pay it, walk away.

But as I said above, if you do accept it, make sure insurance, evacuation, all the protective stuff they provide for their employees, is written into the contract.
    After a Tuesday evening of nachos and champagne in Slough Wetherspoon you need an emergency evacuation.

Leave a comment:

• LJD
    replied
    I mean in terms of putting it up a decent amount, not just a little bit or not at all.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by LJD View Post
    Hi Folks,

Again all sound points. I think the thing I was looking for was agreement with my original plan of tripling my standard day rate to account for the danger and inconvenience.

Looks like that falls into the consensus

Cheers all.
    Erm.. Maybe I need to read the thread again. I didn't see that as being the consensus but younger your rate so up to you what it's worth to you. Highly likely someone will do it for a lot less though.

Leave a comment:

• LJD
    replied
    Hi Folks,

Again all sound points. I think the thing I was looking for was agreement with my original plan of tripling my standard day rate to account for the danger and inconvenience.

Looks like that falls into the consensus

Cheers all.

Leave a comment:

• WordIsBond
    replied
    Things like insurance, emergency protection, evacuation, etc, they can probably cover you the same as they would cover their employees, and for a lot less than you can get it independently. That kind of stuff could and should all be written into the contract. The insurance issue is well-noted, but you should get them to provide it and they almost certainly would.

For two weeks, £100/day is £1000. Nothing. In general, if they are giving employees £100 / day "danger" payment, they'd probably be expecting to give contractors £150 / day. Whether that's worth it is up to you. You have a risk, and you have the inconvenience of being away from home, and the inconvenience of being tied to base for two weeks. You've been there and know what it is like, presumably. You have a reasonable idea of how risky it is. The risk matters a lot if you have family (especially kids) depending on you, less if everyone hates you and the world will hardly miss you when you are gone, more if you are young and have a full life ahead, less if you are older and your body is showing signs of shutting down before long anyway. You know whether you'll enjoy it, whether you want the gig or not, and how much you want it, and whether you need the money or not, and what you could do with it. You are best placed to assess how refusing, or accepting, the job will affect your business relationship with the client, and how important that relationship is to your business.

So figure out what it is worth to you based on all those factors. If all that doesn't work out to it being worth £150/day more, figure out what it is worth to you, and offer that. You're a businessman, price the job by what it is worth to you. If they won't pay it, walk away.

But as I said above, if you do accept it, make sure insurance, evacuation, all the protective stuff they provide for their employees, is written into the contract.

Leave a comment:

• vwdan
    replied
    Originally posted by Contreras View Post
    Hi LJD, Whatever your line of work I'd say you're seriously underselling yourself there.

£100 isn't danger money.

That, for me, would cover the inconvenience of say working at a comfy EU site. Expenses would be on top. I'm not a contracting top-earner either.

I can understand those that would do "hostile", for the adventure, life experience, and an appropriate multiple of their basic rate (I'd guess x2-x5 depending upon the environment).

As an "independent", you can't expect the same support as you would from BigCo employer. Factor in contingency costs for various emergency scenarios. If there are none then you haven't thought it through.
    I agree with this. £100 is inconvenience / extra expenses money or what you add when you think "Eh, I can't really be arsed but sweeten the deal and I'll do it". I totally get the draw of going and doing these more exciting things (and someone has to), but it'd need to be in "I can finally get that extension built" money for me. (Depend on length of time etc)

Leave a comment:

• Contreras
    replied
    Hi LJD, Whatever your line of work I'd say you're seriously underselling yourself there.

£100 isn't danger money.

That, for me, would cover the inconvenience of say working at a comfy EU site. Expenses would be on top. I'm not a contracting top-earner either.

I can understand those that would do "hostile", for the adventure, life experience, and an appropriate multiple of their basic rate (I'd guess x2-x5 depending upon the environment).

As an "independent", you can't expect the same support as you would from BigCo employer. Factor in contingency costs for various emergency scenarios. If there are none then you haven't thought it through.

Leave a comment:

• MrMarkyMark
    replied
    As it was my first contract I bit their hand off for £500pd.
    What, you didn't get a company shooter as an expense on top?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X