• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: contract term

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "contract term"

Collapse

• SteelyDan
    replied
    Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
    You bolded the wrong part.
    Don't think I did. Client isn't pub sec so it's not applicable, or am I missing your point?

Leave a comment:

• LondonManc
    replied
    Originally posted by SteelyDan View Post
    Yeah I see that, but that's was an extract from a lower schedule where I'm personally referred to as the consultant of the supplier (myco). In the main contract upper section it says this:

Taxation.
    9.1 Where the Consultant is liable to be taxed in the UK in respect of consideration received under this contract, he shall at all times comply with the Income Tax (Earnings and Pensions) Act 2003 (ITEPA) and Social Security Contributions and Benefits Act 1992 (SSCBA) and all other statutes and regulations relating to income tax and National Insurance Contributions. 9.2 Where the Client is a public sector body, it may at any time during the term of this Contract, request the Supplier to provide information which demonstrates how the Consultant complies with Clause 9.1 above, or appropriate evidence why it considers that Clause 9.1 does not apply to the Consultant.

The bit in bold (above) is something I didn't initially notice, but the client isn't pub sec, so this won't apply. So it seems this is a generic contract which would cover all sectors.
    You bolded the wrong part.

Leave a comment:

• SteelyDan
    replied
    Originally posted by Support Monkey View Post
    Exactly this, the wording is not B2B it is saying it is saying "you" what does your personal Tax situation have to do with one Business supplying another business, This is a massive red flag and alarm bells would be ringing for me
    Yeah I see that, but that's was an extract from a lower schedule where I'm personally referred to as the consultant of the supplier (myco). In the main contract upper section it says this:

Taxation.
    9.1 Where the Consultant is liable to be taxed in the UK in respect of consideration received under this contract, he shall at all times comply with the Income Tax (Earnings and Pensions) Act 2003 (ITEPA) and Social Security Contributions and Benefits Act 1992 (SSCBA) and all other statutes and regulations relating to income tax and National Insurance Contributions. 9.2 Where the Client is a public sector body, it may at any time during the term of this Contract, request the Supplier to provide information which demonstrates how the Consultant complies with Clause 9.1 above, or appropriate evidence why it considers that Clause 9.1 does not apply to the Consultant.

The bit in bold (above) is something I didn't initially notice, but the client isn't pub sec, so this won't apply. So it seems this is a generic contract which would cover all sectors.

Leave a comment:

• Support Monkey
    replied
    Originally posted by adubya View Post
    It's all very person-centric i.e. "I" and "my" rather than a contract between two businesses.
    Exactly this, the wording is not B2B it is saying it is saying "you" what does your personal Tax situation have to do with one Business supplying another business, This is a massive red flag and alarm bells would be ringing for me

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Yep, given timescales involved, I've taken this tack, spoken to agency & advised if I'm asked to provide such info, I'll decline & they can invoke termination.
    And your IR35 status? Especially when it's been pointed out it's focussed on 'I'?
    Last edited by northernladuk; 10 June 2016, 10:35.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by Cirrus View Post
    I'm different to Northern.

I'd just sign it and if they ever come asking then I'd keep stalling until they eventually (possibly) terminate me. Most likely nothing would ever happen.
    Sadly that makes you part of the problem others face and let the agents pull these tricks because they can get away with it.

What if the contract would have also failed IR35 but you don't really know? You'd keep working until HMRC come calling and bankrupt you. Great plan that.

Leave a comment:

• GB9
    replied
    If it isnt a government department then tell them to strike it out. Personally I wouldn't touch with a long pole. Your tax affairs have nothing to do with the end client.

Leave a comment:

• SteelyDan
    replied
    Originally posted by Cirrus View Post

I'd just sign it and if they ever come asking then I'd keep stalling until they eventually (possibly) terminate me. Most likely nothing would ever happen.
    Yep, given timescales involved, I've taken this tack, spoken to agency & advised if I'm asked to provide such info, I'll decline & they can invoke termination.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Being up against the clock doesn't mean you shouldn't get the contract reviewed.

If the client is public sector then you expect to get terms like that in. Personally if you are worried about giving notice you can leave the term in.

Leave a comment:

• Cirrus
    replied
    Can't see you'll get the nod from QDOS

Leave a comment:

• adubya
    replied
    It's all very person-centric i.e. "I" and "my" rather than a contract between two businesses.

If QDOS do turn it round in a day and they turn up with a FAIL then what next ? Can't see contract change modifications completing before Monday.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    thanks but am up against the clock on this, monday start, it's via an agency, organisation is a charity. What's the fees for QDOS these days and can they turn around in a day?
    Yes. It will cost you but they do a 24 hour service.

This is a perfect example of where a review must be done regardless of timescales. I'll delay the start of the gig a day or two if need be. Starting with an unreviewed contract with odd clauses in will only end in tears.

Leave a comment:

• SteelyDan
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    thanks but am up against the clock on this, monday start, it's via an agency, organisation is a charity. What's the fees for QDOS these days and can they turn around in a day?

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Could try a quick Google as well.
    https://corriculo.co.uk/itepa-mean-r...sonal-details/

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    You could ask QDOS for clarrification when you put it in for review?

Are you direct or via an agency?
    Last edited by northernladuk; 10 June 2016, 08:18.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X