• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "State of the Market"

Collapse

• ensignia
    replied
    Originally posted by PerfectStorm View Post

is this the chap that wanted weekly payment like a temp?

This is the chap who said weekly payment terms tends to be the norm with most of the bigger suppliers.

I actually said I'd prefer payments being made at certain milestones, but ho hum.

Leave a comment:

• ladymuck
    replied
    Originally posted by eek View Post

Committing to what???
    As this is a professional forum, I shan't share the clip from Team America: World Police that immediately sprang to mind.

Leave a comment:

• jamesbrown
    replied
    Originally posted by eek View Post

Committing to what???
    A better CV next time.

Leave a comment:

• PCTNN
    replied
    Originally posted by KentDogWalker View Post
    seeing more PERM CVs on my desktop that say "open to committing" as a candidate perk
    Lol that's just something people say but don't mean.

I don't write it on my CV but in every permie role interview I highlight how I'm looking for a company where I can see myself stay for the long run, how I look forward to contributing to the company's long term vision. I also ask detailed questions about my potential career path within the company. Gives the interviewer the impression that I want to be there forever and love them already. Then I leave them after 6-9 months for a contract or another permie role that pays me marginally more.

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied
    Originally posted by KentDogWalker View Post
    seeing more PERM CVs on my desktop that say "open to committing" as a candidate perk
    Committing to what???

Leave a comment:

• KentDogWalker
    replied

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied
    Originally posted by PerfectStorm View Post

???? You want weekly payments because it mitigates your risk....

Leave a comment:

• PerfectStorm
    replied
    Originally posted by ensignia View Post

You weren't saying this a few months ago when you were goading others for not being "true suppliers"...

Leave a comment:

• ladymuck
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post

LM went to school of life and graduated with an A+ in Hotness and Drinking Gin.
    FTFY

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by ladymuck View Post

Never went to uni
    LM went to school of life and graduated with an A+ in Hotness and Drinking Beer.

Leave a comment:

• ladymuck
    replied
    Originally posted by hungry_hog View Post

yeah but this is contractor UK so surely you put your Double First from Cambridge and Chairman of the Hawks Club on there
    Never went to uni

Leave a comment:

• hungry_hog
    replied
    I've trimmed my CV for years. It only shows about the last 5-8 gigs. Putting stuff I did in 1992 is of no interest to anyone.
    yeah but this is contractor UK so surely you put your Double First from Cambridge and Chairman of the Hawks Club on there

Leave a comment:

• hugebrain
    replied
    I've never understand this "never inside" or "never perm" mentality.

Have a preference, for sure, but never say never.

Sometimes taking a perm job will help you the gain experience and free training that will allow you change directions as a contractor, or simply gain access to markets that you'd otherwise struggle to get into.

An inside gig is better than no gig and I'd rather leave my war chest intact than use it up unnecessarily.
    That seems reasonable. Can I respectfully suggest that all you quitters and that can’t get a real contract start your own board? The permielosers.com domain is available for example.

Leave a comment:

• PCTNN
    replied
    Same. It also depends on what role I apply for or the sector even.

Like, if I apply for a Lead designer role in the public sector, why would I bother including that gig I did 3 years ago as a mid/senior designer in banking.

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied
    I've trimmed my CV for years. It only shows about the last 5-8 gigs. Putting stuff I did in 1992 is of no interest to anyone.
    +1 - were I to update things it would only go back 10 years - as that's enough time to show you are time served, know wtf you are talking about and have appropriate battle scars ..

Leave a comment:

Working...
X