• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Views on failed clauses"

Collapse

• GB9
    replied
    Originally posted by ShandyDrinker View Post
    Very true. But if you seek more opinions and then the consensus becomes it's a fail for IR35 you know you should definitely walk away.

I think many people would seek a second or third opinion from the medical profession for a serious diagnosis; I view this as being no different.
    Full marks for diligence.

I have certainly found qdos to be strict, however, that gives me reassurance that a pass genuinely is a pass.

Leave a comment:

• ShandyDrinker
    replied
    Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
    IR35 is a grey law so the more people you ask the more opinions you will get.
    Very true. But if you seek more opinions and then the consensus becomes it's a fail for IR35 you know you should definitely walk away.

I think many people would seek a second or third opinion from the medical profession for a serious diagnosis; I view this as being no different.

Leave a comment:

• dx4100
    replied
    In some ways yes. I took that approach as I sent it to my accountants (yes I know.. they aren't necessarily professional reviewers but do offer the service) and was surprised when they said in their opinion it was ok, hence sending it to the other company (of equal stature to QDOS) to review.

The point for me was that I had 2 groups saying pass (accountants and review company) and QDOS saying fail. I accept that it is open to interpretation but I have found that QDOS have been more likely to fail contracts over the last 2 years than at any time I used them in the previous 5 or 6.

For that particular contract I was comfortable that on balance of probabilities it was more likely to be a pass than a fail. It's a shame that even the professionals find it hard to agree.
    Hence why I not only get my contracts reviewed but I ask the reviewer to put their money where their mouth is and back it up with insurance.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied

For that particular contract I was comfortable that on balance of probabilities it was more likely to be a pass than a fail. It's a shame that even the professionals find it hard to agree.
    IR35 is a grey law so the more people you ask the more opinions you will get.

Leave a comment:

• ShandyDrinker
    replied
    Originally posted by GB9 View Post
    That sounds like keep trying until you get the result you want rather than deciding based upon the result you are given.

As many have said, nighjng wrong with a bit of inside ir35 when necessary, however, under the new T&S rules this would be stone dead for me.
    In some ways yes. I took that approach as I sent it to my accountants (yes I know.. they aren't necessarily professional reviewers but do offer the service) and was surprised when they said in their opinion it was ok, hence sending it to the other company (of equal stature to QDOS) to review.

The point for me was that I had 2 groups saying pass (accountants and review company) and QDOS saying fail. I accept that it is open to interpretation but I have found that QDOS have been more likely to fail contracts over the last 2 years than at any time I used them in the previous 5 or 6.

Last edited by ShandyDrinker; 17 May 2016, 18:25.

Leave a comment:

• GB9
    replied
    In this instance it would probably be best to walk away rather than work outside. From your original post it looks like the contract is well inside anyway.

As some food for thought for the future I would consider using alternative providers to QDOS to review your contracts. I used one of the other well known and reputable providers and was gobsmacked when they passed a review which QDOS had failed - if it's a contract you really want and consider the contract to have failures in grey areas then this may be worthwhile. If one passes and one fails you then have a dilemma...
    That sounds like keep trying until you get the result you want rather than deciding based upon the result you are given.

As many have said, nighjng wrong with a bit of inside ir35 when necessary, however, under the new T&S rules this would be stone dead for me.

Leave a comment:

• ShandyDrinker
    replied
    Originally posted by FiveTimes View Post
    I walked away from the last failed review from Qdos and unless they change the terms I'll do the same.

I could work inside but as it involves a lot of travel and expense.
    In this instance it would probably be best to walk away rather than work outside. From your original post it looks like the contract is well inside anyway.

As some food for thought for the future I would consider using alternative providers to QDOS to review your contracts. I used one of the other well known and reputable providers and was gobsmacked when they passed a review which QDOS had failed - if it's a contract you really want and consider the contract to have failures in grey areas then this may be worthwhile. If one passes and one fails you then have a dilemma...

Leave a comment:

• LondonManc
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    Not so sure I said blindly. I did mention later my assumptions in an earlier post so it's down to choice. My personal choice is to walk away from it as so far I have been able to get a gig in time to make it worth it taking the gamble. Another assumption I made is most would do the same. Didn't realise I had to explain so many assumptions to try make a decent point but there you go.
    Clearly you did you grumpy old sod

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
    Sorry pal, but that's the only logical thing that you've posted all thread.

Ideally you want an outside of IR35 contract.
    If it is, then great, in you go.
    If it isn't, then there are decisions to make in terms of the long/short term pay off of taking the gig. Going full-on PAYE for 6 months isn't the end of the world if the day rate is fantastic and being outside is simply a bonus. To turn something down blindly because it's inside IR35 is misleading.
    Not so sure I said blindly. I did mention later my assumptions in an earlier post so it's down to choice. My personal choice is to walk away from it as so far I have been able to get a gig in time to make it worth it taking the gamble. Another assumption I made is most would do the same. Didn't realise I had to explain so many assumptions to try make a decent point but there you go.

Leave a comment:

• dx4100
    replied
    Ah walk away from it then.

Leave a comment:

• LondonManc
    replied
    Also the point that struck me when I read the first post was, if that is the contract is that bad what the hell are the working practices like. Yes it's possible there is no link at all but it gets my alarm bells going.
    Sorry pal, but that's the only logical thing that you've posted all thread.

Ideally you want an outside of IR35 contract.
    If it is, then great, in you go.
    If it isn't, then there are decisions to make in terms of the long/short term pay off of taking the gig. Going full-on PAYE for 6 months isn't the end of the world if the day rate is fantastic and being outside is simply a bonus. To turn something down blindly because it's inside IR35 is misleading.

Leave a comment:

• dx4100
    replied
    It is better than the bench...

If I needed the money I would take it, operate as IR35 caught and push money towards my pension.

I am surprised someone with so many posts would bother to have such a poor contract reviewed. It was always going to fail.
    Last edited by dx4100; 17 May 2016, 17:20.

Leave a comment:

• Old Greg
    replied
    I walked away from the last failed review from Qdos and unless they change the terms I'll do the same.

Maybe have some fun and quote them an inside IR35 rate?

Leave a comment:

• FiveTimes
    replied
    Indeed but was taking the context given by the OP that it's a BIG FAT fail, the consultancy won't change it yet the OP is only 'considering'not taking it. Yes he should get QDOS to negotiate but if they consultancy won't change his got to leave it surely?

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Also the point that struck me when I read the first post was, if that is the contract is that bad what the hell are the working practices like. Yes it's possible there is no link at all but it gets my alarm bells going.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X