• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Agency Politics...."

Collapse

• WTFH
    replied
    Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
    Or unless you get such a good deal its worth taking the risk.....

I know you emboldened part of a sentence, but the bit you didn't was the clause "unless you are prepared to suck it up"

That means 2 things - 1. You're prepared to take the risk and 2. You're not going to start a thread complaining about it.

Leave a comment:

• psychocandy
    replied
    Originally posted by WTFH View Post
    For the first week(s) of the contract, go cheap and cheerful. Once you (and the client) have decided you're staying a bit longer then consider looking at something better.

Never organise accommodation with a longer termination clause than you have in your contract with the client unless you are prepared to suck it up, and never organise long term accommodation until you know the area, the commute, etc.
    Or unless you get such a good deal its worth taking the risk.....

Leave a comment:

• dx4100
    replied
    I had a seven year contract with a 0 day notice period from the client and 1 week from me.

My current gig had no notice period from my end and a 1 month from the client. I asked for and got parity.

I usually ask for parity on the notice periods. So if its a week from the client then I ask for a week from me, month / month and so on. Its not been an issue yet and always got it.

If a contract is tulip I might want to move on so I do want a notice period wherever possible. I probably wouldn't turn down a gig though if I was locked in though. As long as I felt pretty comfortable it wasn't going to be a nightmare gig (as much as you can anyway).
    Last edited by dx4100; 18 April 2016, 10:13.

Leave a comment:

• WTFH
    replied
    Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
    I think he's been reading MF's hotel threads.

London can be done as cheaply or as expensively as you want. I generally try to find the cheapest satisfactory hotel (obviously satisfaction is in the opinion of the individual). Lockable en-suite room and free WIFI is generally enough as I tend to negotiate working late Mon-Thurs and early dash on a Friday so don't spend much time awake in the accommodation.

For the first week(s) of the contract, go cheap and cheerful. Once you (and the client) have decided you're staying a bit longer then consider looking at something better.

Never organise accommodation with a longer termination clause than you have in your contract with the client unless you are prepared to suck it up, and never organise long term accommodation until you know the area, the commute, etc.

Leave a comment:

• MrMarkyMark
    replied
    FTFY

I tend to negotiate working late Mon-Thurs and early dash on a Friday so don't spend much time awake in the accommodation, or whilst I'm working.

Leave a comment:

• LondonManc
    replied
    Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
    6 months for the price of weeks hotel?

Like I said before, you've got think of things like this. If what you say is true then fair enough.

But you've got to think about how much out of pocket you'll be if they can it early. Then decide how much of a risk it is. Then decided how much you're saving, then make the call.
    I think he's been reading MF's hotel threads.

London can be done as cheaply or as expensively as you want. I generally try to find the cheapest satisfactory hotel (obviously satisfaction is in the opinion of the individual). Lockable en-suite room and free WIFI is generally enough as I tend to negotiate working late Mon-Thurs and early dash on a Friday so don't spend much time awake in the accommodation.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    You really believe that's why Barclays did it?
    Not so they could do their regular 10% rate cut? If you catch someone out with a rate cut, 90% of x is better than 0% of x. Give them a month to sort themselves out and your best contractors will go. That's why Barclays do it.
    Possibly. I remember when the flood gates re-opened after they walked every contractor on site people were coming back and taking the god awful rates fully intending to use it as a stop gap whilst getting a better paid gig. Hell, I nearly took a gig on that exact premise. Maybe just coincidence but the no notice contracts started appear not so long after that.
    What you say does make sense but they had been imposing 10% cuts well before the no notice contracts started. Guess it's a number of factors that started it.

Leave a comment:

• psychocandy
    replied
    Originally posted by Dougie800 View Post
    What do you mean `I still have a contract` obviously I do otherwise I wouldn't have paid the accommodation upfront which I only did when I was sure I had the contract in the bag...what Im paying for the accommodation upfront is probably hell of alot less than what some of you pay in a week for a dingy hotel.
    6 months for the price of weeks hotel?

Like I said before, you've got think of things like this. If what you say is true then fair enough.

But you've got to think about how much out of pocket you'll be if they can it early. Then decide how much of a risk it is. Then decided how much you're saving, then make the call.

Leave a comment:

• psychocandy
    replied
    Don't agree with that. Terms can be negotiated, just because the agency lists their T's and C's doesn't mean I cannot negotiate.
    You can try of course. As others have said, no notice for some clients is a 100% set in stone condition.

Leave a comment:

• LondonManc
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    Maybe they've been burnt with mercenary contractors leaving so they have a no notice contract. Barclay's introduced this after so many people were using them as a stop gap. Their own fault really but anyway, it's becoming more common.
    It's not unfair or severe, it's the terms take them or leave them.
    You really believe that's why Barclays did it?
    Not so they could do their regular 10% rate cut? If you catch someone out with a rate cut, 90% of x is better than 0% of x. Give them a month to sort themselves out and your best contractors will go. That's why Barclays do it.

Leave a comment:

• psychocandy
    replied
    Originally posted by MrMarkyMark View Post
    Never heard of this clause being any kind of issue, in fact some say it is an advantage.
    Sometimes it's something the client wants in, rather than the agency.
    As for being very unfair, don't expect anyone to really GAS.

You need to grow a pair, you are lucky you still have a contract, especially with you, taking a risk with paying for accommodation up front, imo.
    I fail to see how an IR35 review would flag it? Like you said, surely its better?

Leave a comment:

• psychocandy
    replied
    Its already been reviewed and its a pass but with a recommendation to amend the section regarding notice as I should be allowed to give notice and not be tied in. Is the agency likely to amend this based on a review from QDOS or will they stick to whats on the contract. Surely tying me in is a bit severe and very unfair.
    Not really. If they force it, then sign or no sign.

Leave a comment:

• psychocandy
    replied
    I have already been invited for coffee by the agency...I presume they want to retain me or use me for leads and information. Also...not to brag but my interview was so strong that the hiring manager cancelled 2 other interviews on the strength of my interview and the fact that id be a great fit fir the team. Why would the agency want to risk losing me and annoying the client?
    Agency tell you this by any chance?

Leave a comment:

• psychocandy
    replied
    If they are shafting me, do they not think that I will either ask the client directly or even speak to other contractors on site? They said they spoke to the guy that interviewed me and he agreed to the small increase...would the agency actually be this dishonest even if they thought I would find out?
    Oh yes believe it. They're chancing it hoping you won't find and even if you do they've got some bulltulip story lined up I'll bet.

Leave a comment:

• MrMarkyMark
    replied
    What do you mean `I still have a contract` obviously I do otherwise I wouldn't have paid the accommodation upfront which I only did when I was sure I had the contract in the bag...what Im paying for the accommodation upfront is probably hell of alot less than what some of you pay in a week for a dingy hotel.
    Suggest you read what your first post actually says, you appear to have been caught up, in the excitement of it all and have forgotten what you wrote.
    The issue is I have realised that I still do not have a formal contract and my start date is fast approaching. They had sent me an offer email initially and I wondered if this is a legally binding agreement even though I do not have the formal written contract yet? The email is titled OFFER EMAIL
    I have already secured accommodation in London and put down a deposit for 6 months based on this `offer email`.
    Last edited by MrMarkyMark; 17 April 2016, 22:53.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X