• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "time to get referenced/cleared at a bank"

Collapse

• BrilloPad
    replied
    While on site, I was talking to the garage attendants. Unlike some on this site, I think you can learn something from everyone. They park the cars. Wash and clean them. But they also ferry senior staff between the two buildings in the wharf! Its a 400 metre walk - and probably at 15 minute drive due to the roadworks for plantation house.

Great collection of cars they have down there. My favourite is an immaculate B reg VW camper van.

Leave a comment:

• slogger
    replied
    Originally posted by Chuck View Post
    I've been vetted by Kroll a number of times. Each time it's been a complete check of all details going back 10 years, even if they've checked them before. It's an utter nonsense.

Mind you, I don't suppose it's in their interest to expedite a process if they can bill their client more.
    i was at DB for a year and a half, took a week off between contracts there and the external hr company tried to have me referenced again - they also asked for proof of my current rate (which they where paying me) - I requested a copy of my last payment from them and then gave it straight back to them.

Leave a comment:

• Chuck
    replied
    Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
    The hedge fund I worked at used Kroll. A pity that Kroll or someone is not doing that....
    I've been vetted by Kroll a number of times. Each time it's been a complete check of all details going back 10 years, even if they've checked them before. It's an utter nonsense.

Mind you, I don't suppose it's in their interest to expedite a process if they can bill their client more.

Leave a comment:

• uk contractor
    replied
    Friend of mine took 5 weeks last year to clear their checks for a 3 month contract! MS are slower than most if you have nothing to hide then its all good but as others have said do not give your notice until you get a start date MS & most of the other banking giants are really going to town on outsourcing its a matter of when not if they start getting rid of anyone who cannot be offshored for a fraction of a London banking salary!!

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by slogger View Post
    that seems more reasonable.
    i think theres a business opportunity for a company to do checks - so first check may take a while but then going forward they just check up to your last check - obviously do id checks to ensure you're not impersonating anyone but then only confirm and reference your last gig - be quite useful
    Yeah, sounds great. Fill your boots.....

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    i think theres a business opportunity for a company to do checks - so first check may take a while but then going forward they just check up to your last check - obviously do id checks to ensure you're not impersonating anyone but then only confirm and reference your last gig - be quite useful
    The hedge fund I worked at used Kroll. A pity that Kroll or someone is not doing that....

Leave a comment:

• slogger
    replied
    Originally posted by flamel View Post
    Last year my banking background check took five weeks - they used an outfit called Sterling Backcheck

Leave a comment:

• flamel
    replied
    Last year my banking background check took five weeks - they used an outfit called Sterling Backcheck

Leave a comment:

• slogger
    replied
    Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
    If you're not prepared for bench time, consider whether this is right for you at all.

If the bank turns round on day 1 and says "no work, there's the door" what will you do?
    yes good point - I agree as a contractor you need to be prepared to have unplanned benchtime. I have been released from contract a few times over last 20 years - companies going bust, projects being closed - stuff happens... I've been very lucky in never having a day off due to this - but I do accept that one day I will and I do have a good warchest.

just trying to minimise potential downtime.

Leave a comment:

• slogger
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    And if they don't offer you a shorter notice period? Pretty risky that. It's a small world in finance so I wouldn't be too happy about leaving under a cloud from the off.
    yep - probably not a good idea, certainly would never walk out of a place.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    wow - this is what I was concerned about - I'm thinking my only option is to go through referencing and then wait till have the all clear - and then resign from current co, and try and negotiate a shorter notice period (coincidentally I'm at a hedge fund - are we stalking each other? ;-) )
    And if they don't offer you a shorter notice period? Pretty risky that. It's a small world in finance so I wouldn't be too happy about leaving under a cloud from the off.

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    wow - this is what I was concerned about - I'm thinking my only option is to go through referencing and then wait till have the all clear - and then resign from current co, and try and negotiate a shorter notice period (coincidentally I'm at a hedge fund - are we stalking each other? ;-) )
    Very hard to tell without knowing which hedge fund. Sometimes they are sensible - they don't want someone hanging round who is basically halfway out of the door. But hard to tell as it is fund/role dependant.

You have done incredibly well to get a gig at MS - they are generally offshoring a lot of stuff. They permies are getting very nervous from what they read in the press. As you say, its the same over the whole of finance. The days of the government throwing money at them seem to be over.

Hedge funds are also having a tough time. The one I worked at has now booted out all external investors and just manages their own money. Interestingly, they had a project that assumes the end of the banking system and assumes only one bank standing. HSBC.....

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    I don't want to give a weeks notice and then wait 8 weeks on 'le bench' .
    If you're not prepared for bench time, consider whether this is right for you at all.

If the bank turns round on day 1 and says "no work, there's the door" what will you do?

Leave a comment:

• slogger
    replied
    I've actually been positively vetted and it took less time than a large german IB took to reference me.

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Originally posted by stek View Post
    The three banks I've worked did no checks at all, two where retail though.
    You don't say what years.

In 2006 there were almost no checks. By 2010 IBs were delving into every intimate aspect of your history.

My favourite - being asked for council tax bill from 3 years earlier. Getting that from the council was fun.

A mate suggested scanning in all bills before binning them. Something I have started doing.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X