• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Time off for baby

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Time off for baby"

Collapse

• 2bFrank
    replied
    Thanks everyone, was thinking it was ok, but wanted validation really.

I've been saving up for a while to take the time off, so will be good to take the break.

Thanks again

Leave a comment:

• jmo21
    replied
    Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
    Can you not just put baby in the corner?

Oh wait - nobody does that.
    I'm not sure who is worse, you for posting that, or me for getting it

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    Can you not just put baby in the corner?

Oh wait - nobody does that.

Leave a comment:

• LondonManc
    replied
    Originally posted by oliverson View Post
    Isn't this precisely when you should be in contract, preferably working away????
    You've gotta bond dude. That's the modern way.

Leave a comment:

• Age quod agis
    replied
    Originally posted by oliverson View Post
    Isn't this precisely when you should be in contract, preferably working away????
    Only if its the first baby. You should develop immunity to screaming babies in the middle of the night after that.

Leave a comment:

• oliverson
    replied
    Originally posted by 2bFrank View Post
    Hello Everyone,

My question however is, I am planning to take about 3 months off when the baby is born,....

Leave a comment:

• heyya99
    replied
    Originally posted by b0redom View Post
    I would guess that most senior hiring folks would have kids, or at the very least have employees that have kids. 'I took 3 months off to help look after the baby.' would definitely not have been a show stopper at any of the places I've worked at.

That being said, I think I would prefer to have a week or two off after the birth, work for a few months, and then have some time off when the baby is doing a bit more than just screaming, feeding and sleeping.
    It's not the end clients I'd be concerned about, it's the pimps.

Leave a comment:

• LondonManc
    replied
    You're human. Take time off. They'll understand.

Leave a comment:

• b0redom
    replied
    I would guess that most senior hiring folks would have kids, or at the very least have employees that have kids. 'I took 3 months off to help look after the baby.' would definitely not have been a show stopper at any of the places I've worked at.

That being said, I think I would prefer to have a week or two off after the birth, work for a few months, and then have some time off when the baby is doing a bit more than just screaming, feeding and sleeping.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by 2bFrank View Post
    Hello Everyone,

I have been contracting for quite a few years and never had any gaps in my employment.
    <cough>

My question however is, I am planning to take about 3 months off when the baby is born, and start looking again in the new year. However a fellow contractor told me that it does not look good to prospective employers, if you have any gaps in your employment.
    <double cough>

You're not really a contractor are you?

But as already said. 3 months shouldn't be a problem at all.
    Last edited by northernladuk; 11 April 2016, 15:15.

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
    Not the end of the world, I take between 6 weeks and 3 months off between contracts, you can be a bit clever with dates on CV, most only as for a month so if your last day is in the beginning of the month and new gig starts at the end you can easily have 2-3 months off with only a one month gap on the CV.
    In finance, these days they look at actual start and end dates!

However they generally are happy with a 3 month gap.

Leave a comment:

• SimonMac
    replied
    Not the end of the world, I take between 6 weeks and 3 months off between contracts, you can be a bit clever with dates on CV, most only as for a month so if your last day is in the beginning of the month and new gig starts at the end you can easily have 2-3 months off with only a one month gap on the CV.

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    It depends which sector you are in. In finance its a bigger deal.

Leave a comment:

• 2bFrank
    started a topic Time off for baby

Time off for baby

Hello Everyone,

I have been contracting for quite a few years and never had any gaps in my employment.

My wife is due in 6 months. I have just signed an extension for 5.5 months in my current role, they know the situation hence the 5.5 months and the project will come to a natural end then anyways so both parties are happy.

My question however is, I am planning to take about 3 months off when the baby is born, and start looking again in the new year. However a fellow contractor told me that it does not look good to prospective employers, if you have any gaps in your employment.

Is this really the case. ill be doing some small freelance work in between, but it is hardly worth the effort to put on my CV.

Any ideas on how to handle this.

Thanks

Working...
X