• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "State of contracting up North (A1 corridor / Sheffield up to Newcastle)?"

Collapse

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    Originally posted by Darren at DynamoAccounts View Post
    They're mainly recruiting for Permies in Sheffield at the moment but we've just picked up a contractor client who's operating there as well. Looks to be a mix.

Oh, and hi!
    Welcome Darren.

If there's one thing that I know about CUK, we always welcome accountants called Darren from the Leeds / Wakefield area with open arms

Leave a comment:

• stek
    replied
    Originally posted by BigRed View Post
    From a DBA perspective I see lots in Leeds, occasionally York and Manchester, not much in Sheffield apart from HSBC, who pay excellent rates for the North.
    BT NSOC is in Sheffield, and the rates are pathetic...

Leave a comment:

• LondonManc
    replied
    Originally posted by stek View Post
    William Hill and Sky in Leeds too.....

Lloyds at Dawson's Corner near New Pudsey Station.

Morrison's at Bradford and Ukar formerly Bradford and Bingley too.

Rita, Sue and Bob too.
    Skybet in Leeds, Sky TV/internet are London and Livingstone.

Getting to Bradford from Sheffield each day by car isn't for the feint-hearted so I've been told. It could just be the leaving your car in Bradford part, I'm not sure.

Leave a comment:

• BigRed
    replied
    From a DBA perspective I see lots in Leeds, occasionally York and Manchester, not much in Sheffield apart from HSBC, who pay excellent rates for the North.

Leave a comment:

• stek
    replied
    William Hill and Sky in Leeds too.....

Lloyds at Dawson's Corner near New Pudsey Station.

Morrison's at Bradford and Ukar formerly Bradford and Bingley too.

Rita, Sue and Bob too.

Leave a comment:

• Darren at Fox-Bartfield
    replied
    Plusnet

Originally posted by saptastic View Post
    Plusnet are growing and always looking for IT staff in Sheffield & Leeds according to a mate of mine there. But not sure if this is perm or contract.
    They're mainly recruiting for Permies in Sheffield at the moment but we've just picked up a contractor client who's operating there as well. Looks to be a mix.

Oh, and hi!

Leave a comment:

• saptastic
    replied
    Plusnet are growing and always looking for IT staff in Sheffield & Leeds according to a mate of mine there. But not sure if this is perm or contract.

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
    There's also the option of still taking London gigs if you don't mind staying away during the week.
    A1 is a good run down to London.
    And Grand Central trains are pretty good down that route. Virgin east coast block access to Office 365 if you're planning on working on their wifi, because it uses resources (apparently).

Leave a comment:

• SimonMac
    replied
    Originally posted by fuzzypenguin View Post
    Thanks for the reply. I think there are a couple of Mobile network operators offices in Leeds too. EE has an office there.
    O2/Telefonica is based in Leeds, there is also Capita & BAE Systems, less well known but large scale users of clients is BJSS

Leave a comment:

• fuzzypenguin
    replied
    Originally posted by DaveB View Post
    For gods sake don't go to Doncaster...
    Don't worry, I know to avoid Doncaster. My mates dad used to own a pub there. I think it was in Armthorpe.

Leave a comment:

• DaveB
    replied
    Originally posted by Antman View Post
    I don't think that there's many contracts in North Yorks as compared to West Yorks. I'd choose York over Thirsk as it's only 2 hours to London. York is off the A1 and it's a bit crap for driving around because it's so old.

Donny's closer to London, on the East Coast line and on the A1 but I'd still choose York.
    For gods sake don't go to Doncaster...

Leave a comment:

• fuzzypenguin
    replied
    Originally posted by DaveB View Post
    Leeds has a lot going on away from the code based stuff. DoH, DWP, NHS IT all based there. Some big private sector clients there as well, Asda,BT and a couple of others I can't remember ATM.
    Thanks for the reply. I think there are a couple of Mobile network operators offices in Leeds too. EE has an office there.

Leave a comment:

• Antman
    replied
    I don't think that there's many contracts in North Yorks as compared to West Yorks. I'd choose York over Thirsk as it's only 2 hours to London. York is off the A1 and it's a bit crap for driving around because it's so old.

Donny's closer to London, on the East Coast line and on the A1 but I'd still choose York.

Leave a comment:

• DaveB
    replied
    Leeds has a lot going on away from the code based stuff. DoH, DWP, NHS IT all based there. Some big private sector clients there as well, Asda,BT and a couple of others I can't remember ATM.

Leave a comment:

• fuzzypenguin
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    You are not willing to stay away for gigs?
    Yes, I would stay away, but would prefer not to if possible. I would rather have a longer commute and sleep in my own bed at night than stay away all week. That's why I'm trying to find out the state of the local market really. If it means I will have to stay away all the time, then we may be better off staying where we are.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X