• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Breaking contract / Quitting"

Collapse

• theroyale
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    You are treating this as an inside IR35 contract financially aren't you?

If you are paying yourself PAYE what do the sums look like if you consider quitting right away and being immediately available for work for a proper contract?
    No keeping this outside. The paper contract is PCG approved and IR35-friendly (but as I already said the working conditions are heavily inside). Not going to be here long so taking the chance.
    Last edited by theroyale; 9 April 2016, 15:12.

Leave a comment:

• theroyale
    replied
    Originally posted by Taita View Post
    You have been given some good advice and this is superfluous but, I'm in the mood, so here are two questions to ask yourself:
    1) Am I running a business or an auction?

2) When my client co/agent terminates me because a lower bidder has turned up, which bit of the contract I have not read should I look for?
    Answered this earlier in the thread as well, I was NOT jumping to a contract which had a higher rate. The rates were exactly the same on both. The issue was working conditions and day-to-day behaviour of the client. So here's question I'll throw back at you:

How badly does a client have to behave in order for you to look to terminate?

If your answer is that you would stick it out no matter what because you have signed a contract and it would be ungentlemanly to back out of it, well we just have to differ then.

Leave a comment:

• psychocandy
    replied
    I'd be interested to know how many people are actually terminated over a cheaper alternative. Ignore situations where the contract is not renewed as someone else is found for the purposes of this argument as that is not what Taita said.

How many people are really terminated for a cheaper alternative? And compare that to the number of contractors that ditch a client for a bit more money. I bet there is a huge chasm between the two stats.
    Now you may have a point here.... :-)

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    2) When my client co/agent terminates me because a lower bidder has turned up, which bit of the contract I have not read should I look for?
    I'd be interested to know how many people are actually terminated over a cheaper alternative. Ignore situations where the contract is not renewed as someone else is found for the purposes of this argument as that is not what Taita said.

How many people are really terminated for a cheaper alternative? And compare that to the number of contractors that ditch a client for a bit more money. I bet there is a huge chasm between the two stats.

Leave a comment:

• psychocandy
    replied
    You have been given some good advice and this is superfluous but, I'm in the mood, so here are two questions to ask yourself:

At last..... ;-)

Rule no 1 - Look after number 1.

Leave a comment:

• Taita
    replied
    Originally posted by theroyale View Post
    One and a half months in to a six monther i find that my new contract is a dud - high level of control (working practices well within IR35), rude bossy manager who seems to not understand the difference between employees and contractors, and boring work.

Another opportunity is coming up for which I am interviewing tomorrow.

What is the best way of breaking contract? What are the possible consequences? There is a one month notice clause on this one. If the new gig comes through the most notice I will be able to get away with is about 2 weeks. Thanks.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by Unix View Post
    I thought I get in before psychocandy.
    Lol.. Don't forget the [PC] [/PC] options

Leave a comment:

• Unix
    replied
    Nice input bro.
    I thought I get in before psychocandy.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by Unix View Post
    Work the 2 weeks then sickie.
    Nice input bro.

Leave a comment:

• Unix
    replied
    Originally posted by theroyale View Post
    One and a half months in to a six monther i find that my new contract is a dud - high level of control (working practices well within IR35), rude bossy manager who seems to not understand the difference between employees and contractors, and boring work.

Another opportunity is coming up for which I am interviewing tomorrow.

What is the best way of breaking contract? What are the possible consequences? There is a one month notice clause on this one. If the new gig comes through the most notice I will be able to get away with is about 2 weeks. Thanks.
    Work the 2 weeks then sickie.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    You are treating this as an inside IR35 contract financially aren't you?

If you are paying yourself PAYE what do the sums look like if you consider quitting right away and being immediately available for work for a proper contract?

Leave a comment:

• theroyale
    replied
    As it turns out the role I was looking to switch to was filled internally.

So back to square one - at least for the time being!

Leave a comment:

• LondonManc
    replied
    Quite but your opening line of 'I usually' didn't indicate you were putting your comment in the context of the OP's situation.
    Companies don't hesitate to offshore for much cheapness though.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by despot View Post
    True ... but the OP said he was being disrespected. I did this at one client as it was very bad. They actually increased my day rate significantly and their behaviour towards me was a lot more respectful. the whole point of being self employed is to do a good job and avoid being mistreated. If they are crap to work for then why would you care about going back there?
    Quite but your opening line of 'I usually' didn't indicate you were putting your comment in the context of the OP's situation.

Leave a comment:

• despot
    replied
    True ... but the OP said he was being disrespected. I did this at one client as it was very bad. They actually increased my day rate significantly and their behaviour towards me was a lot more respectful. the whole point of being self employed is to do a good job and avoid being mistreated. If they are crap to work for then why would you care about going back there?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X