• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "contract negotiation"

Collapse

• WTFH
    replied
    Originally posted by domainer View Post
    I have learnt some good lessons in the process for next time
    ..the main one being - make sure you think very long and hard about what you go in at (especially for the long term), because it could be difficult to change down the line no matter how 'good' you might be.
    You are a CONTRACTOR. You move from contract to contract. If you don't like the rate (or become greedy/feel you deserve a rise), then you ask for it or you walk. You then get another contract.
    That's what makes you a contractor. If you want a job where you have a starting rate that increases every year and you discuss a raise, not an extension, then you're not a contractor.

Leave a comment:

• domainer
    replied
    Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
    Who'd you ask? client or agency?
    I asked only the agency so far, in my mind it feels a bit of a whinge going to the client cap in hand 'please sir can I have some more'.

Due to my situation I will probably be taking it on chin and carrying on, but I have learnt some good lessons in the process for next time
    ..the main one being - make sure you think very long and hard about what you go in at (especially for the long term), because it could be difficult to change down the line no matter how 'good' you might be.

Leave a comment:

• psychocandy
    replied
    Ok, so good and bad, what happened is they offered me more days, and any amount of extra time I want/is needed, but at the same rate
    ..question is whether it the client or agency not willing to pay a little extra.. I could always ask I guess
    Who'd you ask? client or agency?

Leave a comment:

• domainer
    replied
    Ok, so good and bad, what happened is they offered me more days, and any amount of extra time I want/is needed, but at the same rate
    ..question is whether it the client or agency not willing to pay a little extra.. I could always ask I guess

Leave a comment:

• psychocandy
    replied
    So.. I grew a spine and asked for more dosh and more days

This week I will either be as happy as a dog with two dicks, or outside Job Centre Plus first thing.

Thanks for your advice all, I shall post the result..
    In my experience, just "asking" can go one of two ways:-

1. They crap themselves that you're even thinking of leaving and sort an increase out.

2. They know you're not really going to leave so give you some crap excuse why its a no.

Most of the times its 2.

Leave a comment:

• domainer
    replied
    So.. I grew a spine and asked for more dosh and more days

This week I will either be as happy as a dog with two dicks, or outside Job Centre Plus first thing.

Thanks for your advice all, I shall post the result..

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Certainly not a trend I've seen. I know it's rather a closed shop due to most gigs needing SC and the agents only putting people forward that already have it.

Leave a comment:

• WTFH
    replied
    I have noticed this trend in that nobody seems to want to work for aerospace much.
    It depends what you mean by your earlier comment about plebs and the dark side.

Who are the plebs, in your opinion? What, in your opinion, is the dark side?

Leave a comment:

• domainer
    replied
    I have noticed this trend in that nobody seems to want to work for aerospace much - what am I missing out on? I can see its maybe more relaxing and less stress working on non critical systems etc.

Space companies taking people to Mars come and go, but people will always want Mars bars in space, and I guess making Mars Bars is a lot easier..

Originally posted by MrMarkyMark View Post
    I would suggest to the OP that Milatary / Aerospace would be dark side enough for most

Leave a comment:

• MrMarkyMark
    replied
    Originally posted by jmo21 View Post
    Childish, or complete gibberish?
    I would suggest to the OP that Milatary / Aerospace would be dark side enough for most

Leave a comment:

• jmo21
    replied
    I forgot to add I've been offered the top rate by other agency last year, but would entail working for plebs on darkside I suppose its a bit childish to start mention that.
    Childish, or complete gibberish?

Leave a comment:

• MrMarkyMark
    replied
    Thank you for your helpful replies.

I forgot to consider the agency *could* absorb the rate, out of interest, what is agency putting on a daily rate (ballpark) - what would be the min 10%?

I forgot to add I've been offered the top rate by other agency last year, but would entail working for plebs on darkside I suppose its a bit childish to start mention that.

I hate being driven by money in this game.. always feel like such a spoilt brat..anyway... needs must I guess.
    Question to ask yourself here is, are you a business or a charity?
    I'm sure the firm you are working for have no such problems

Leave a comment:

• domainer
    replied
    Thank you for your helpful replies.

I forgot to consider the agency *could* absorb the rate, out of interest, what is agency putting on a daily rate (ballpark) - what would be the min 10%?

I hate being driven by money in this game.. always feel like such a spoilt brat..anyway... needs must I guess.
    Last edited by domainer; 28 March 2016, 10:15.

Leave a comment:

• WordIsBond
    replied
    Agency (and client) probably won't tell you what the agency charges, and your contract may forbid you from asking the client.

Agency can probably afford the increase on their own quite easily without going back to the client. And they can easily go back to the client, if the client is happy, and ask for an extra £20 / day. Agency may be underpaying you and making a nice profit, or they may be taking the normal cut, but either way, they've got some cushion on a renewal. A 5% raise is over inflation, but not that much. Your take-home is about to take a hit, too, with the dividend tax. And you're committing for a year.

As noted, you may be taking a cut because you are only a 3 day guy.

I said on another thread I'm asking for 4% increases this year, and would settle for less, but not for nothing.

If I were in your position and I really thought the market rate is £400-450, and I thought I was providing above average value, I'd say exactly that to the agent. "I'm providing above average value, market rate is £400-450, since I'm only 3 days I'm not pushing for top rate, but I really should be making £425 / day." And if it were me, I'd add, "And in return, I'm willing to work an extra 30 days over the course of the contract if there are times when they really need it." (That's 2 1/2 days a month, on average).

And then settle for £400 when they counter-offer that, but say no extra days comes with it. Then, you got what you set out for but they feel like they've accomplished something in the negotiations, and everyone is happy. Even agents are human and like to be happy.

Leave a comment:

• WTFH
    replied
    Are the higher rates you see based on doing a 3 day week or 5?
    If 3 days per week is your max on site, could you work the other 2 from home, thus giving you a 40% increase in days worked and money earned?
    When you say "market rate" do you actually mean "agents advertised rate", or have you asked other contractors what they are getting paid to do the same role?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X