• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "2 weeks into contract - can I invoke notice of termination and not work the term?"

Collapse

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by Scruff View Post
    After all these years, they all seem like a Death March...
    They all sound like opportunities to me

Leave a comment:

• LondonManc
    replied
    Originally posted by SlipTheJab View Post
    +1 I had this issue a few years ago, was sold a dummy by the agent and the project was a bit of a car crash, do you know what I did... sucked it up and got on with it, wasn't the clients fault after all, I got them out of a hole and after 4 months politely refused an extension to move on, 3 years later I am back at the client on a new exiting project, didn't go through the agent this time though, made sure I kept in touch with the HR manager here and (he's asked me back a couple of time over the last 2 years) and when I was available I took him up on the offer... motto is don't burn bridges!!!
    You're leaving again Jabbers?

Leave a comment:

• Scruff
    replied
    Originally posted by cojak View Post
    You're describing a Death March project, the OP is describing a tough project where he feels he's in over his head.

It's important to recognise the difference between the two.
    After all these years, they all seem like a Death March...

Leave a comment:

• cojak
    replied
    2 weeks into contract - can I invoke notice of termination and not work the t...

Originally posted by Scruff View Post
    I have left a number of gigs when the role changed/statement of work didn't meet the expectations/new "direction" meant IR35 had a potential to come into play. I have terminated the Professional relationship and negotiated my way out of toxic situations.

IMHO, your Professional integrity will not be negatively affected, since ultimately it is all about your Personal integrity, which affects YOU, your family and your co-workers (not colleagues!).

If the client lacks a professional attitude and respect, in practice, once you are "in contract" then you owe it to yourself to attempt to correct it, or else, "get ouf of Dodge"...
    You're describing a Death March project, the OP is describing a tough project where he feels he's in over his head.

It's important to recognise the difference between the two.

Leave a comment:

• Scruff
    replied
    I have left a number of gigs when the role changed/statement of work didn't meet the expectations/new "direction" meant IR35 had a potential to come into play. I have terminated the Professional relationship and negotiated my way out of toxic situations.

IMHO, your Professional integrity will not be negatively affected, since ultimately it is all about your Personal integrity, which affects YOU, your family and your co-workers (not colleagues!).

If the client lacks a professional attitude and respect, in practice, once you are "in contract" then you owe it to yourself to attempt to correct it, or else, "get ouf of Dodge"...

Leave a comment:

• SlipTheJab
    replied
    +1 I had this issue a few years ago, was sold a dummy by the agent and the project was a bit of a car crash, do you know what I did... sucked it up and got on with it, wasn't the clients fault after all, I got them out of a hole and after 4 months politely refused an extension to move on, 3 years later I am back at the client on a new exiting project, didn't go through the agent this time though, made sure I kept in touch with the HR manager here and (he's asked me back a couple of time over the last 2 years) and when I was available I took him up on the offer... motto is don't burn bridges!!!

Leave a comment:

• cojak
    replied
    2 weeks into contract - can I invoke notice of termination and not work the t...

Originally posted by Willy Win View Post
    Contact's not what I expected and the work/responsibilities more than I know I can handle. I know that by handing in my notice I will leave team in the tulip with at a critical time in the project with no one to immediately replace me but I couldn't do a month of this
    Use your network to get some mentoring help.

I had a tough contract last year and asked for advice from a senior member of the IPSE forum (and here occasionally). He happily helped me to work through the situation.

You don't have to be on your own just because you're a contractor.

You might find then that what doesn't kill you makes you stronger (and better at your work).

Leave a comment:

• clearedforlanding
    replied
    Do whatever the hell you like.

Be mindful that if/when you become more senior, you'll find the world around your career (business) a lot smaller, and people from the past have a habit of popping up at inconvenient moments.

Play by the rules of the contract to the letter, act with decorum, and do not think that burning your bridges because you have found a better contract is a marvellous thing.

Companies merge and get acquired in all tech sectors. Think & play the long game & for ****s sake play business acumen before bravado and pride.

Leave a comment:

• oliverson
    replied
    Originally posted by LisaContractorUmbrella View Post
    Speaking as an employer, I'd be pretty miffed if someone did this to me especially if I'd brought them in for a project which had time constraints and I'd certainly be looking at the agency to compensate me for inconvenience caused. IMHO if you are happy to sign a contract then you should stick to it - how would you like it if the agency/client terminated the contract 2 weeks in and didn't stick to the notice period?
    Not one bit but it's party of daily life in the banking sector. Fight fire with fire. Business is business.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    The contractor
    FTFY

Leave a comment:

• LondonManc
    replied
    Contact's not what I expected and the work/responsibilities more than I know I can handle. I know that by handing in my notice I will leave team in the tulip with at a critical time in the project with no one to immediately replace me but I couldn't do a month of this
    Don't hand your notice in then. Have a word with the key contact at client and explain the situation - that the role isn't as described, you don't feel that you are the best person for the job and wouldn't have taken the role if you knew it was going to be like it is. If you know anyone who can substitute in and do the role, then see if they're interested and if that's an option for the client manager.

Leave a comment:

• SlipTheJab
    replied
    Hand in your notice and be prepared to work it, hopefully the client will let you leave earlier, if not then you need to do the 4 weeks as per your contract. Someone will be along in a bit to tell you to do the same but then phone in sick

Leave a comment:

• Willy Win
    replied
    Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
    What's wrong with the contract?

Leave a comment:

• LisaContractorUmbrella
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    Notice periods are for permies.
    You know what I meant

Leave a comment:

• Unix
    replied
    Originally posted by LisaContractorUmbrella View Post
    Speaking as an employer, I'd be pretty miffed if someone did this to me especially if I'd brought them in for a project which had time constraints and I'd certainly be looking at the agency to compensate me for inconvenience caused. IMHO if you are happy to sign a contract then you should stick to it - how would you like it if the agency/client terminated the contract 2 weeks in and didn't stick to the notice period?
    If i lied at the interview then I wouldn't have an argument.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X