• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Take a 10% drop or hold off signing contract for better rate still not yet in the bag"

Collapse

• LondonManc
    replied
    Notice periods are typically exercised by big companies as a pr exercise to get contractors back in the future.

Leave a comment:

• sm02fly
    replied
    I have previously contracted through Rullion in 2012, with a 4 week notice period to both parties. However, they were only really acting as a payment solution as I landed the gig direct with the client, who then runs all contractors via 2 or 3 agencies on fixed margins.

Their self billing system was OK, however make sure they don't try and not pay you the VAT on your expenses...

Leave a comment:

• jamesbrown
    replied
    As NLUK says, notice periods aren't worth the paper...

As long as it's not formulated in a way that's akin to a permie notice period, it's a non-issue.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Notice periods are for permies. If they don't want you then you'll be done by 5pm that day without a leg to stand on.

Leave a comment:

• ziggystardust
    replied
    Update: I informed agency 1 that I won't be taking on the gig so that's done. I've secured a contract for gig 2 through Rullion but they won't budge on notice termination of 1 months notice to them and 2 weeks to me no matter how hard I tried to negotiate. Anyone else had a similar experience with them? Not really in a position to argue now seeing as I'm sure to start tomorrow!

Leave a comment:

• clearedforlanding
    replied
    Originally posted by jamesbrown View Post
    Absolutely. Contracting in the UK is a no winning zone
    FTFY

Leave a comment:

• jamesbrown
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    It does but he can't really come on here calling agents for pulling a fast one later on after after pulling this. Gonna have to take it on the chin man style.
    Absolutely. Contracting is a no whining zone

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by jamesbrown View Post
    It's business. Nothing is agreed until everything is agreed. If they do an about turn, you've moved on. It works both ways.
    It does but he can't really come on here calling agents for pulling a fast one later on after after pulling this. Gonna have to take it on the chin man style.

Leave a comment:

• jamesbrown
    replied
    Originally posted by ziggystardust View Post
    Well, more developments. Been offered gig 2 now (the one I really wanted with better money). PerfectStorm, I have pretty much waited until the eleventh hour with gig 1 as pretty much refused to negotiate or accept their refusal to make any amendments....now feeling rather guilty about knocking them back so far down the line. Probably bu**ered my reputation with both the agency and the client. The worst that can happen is at the last minute they miraculously do an about turn and suddenly agree to the changes!
    It's business. Nothing is agreed until everything is agreed. If they do an about turn, you've moved on. It works both ways.

Leave a comment:

• ziggystardust
    replied
    Originally posted by PerfectStorm View Post
    I've not tried this but I'm aware others on here have used B&C/QDOS contract review services who call up and somehow miraculously get this sorted for you. Perhaps offer a compromise - list some specific actions, and add "other services to be agreed upon"?
    Well, more developments. Been offered gig 2 now (the one I really wanted with better money). PerfectStorm, I have pretty much waited until the eleventh hour with gig 1 as pretty much refused to negotiate or accept their refusal to make any amendments....now feeling rather guilty about knocking them back so far down the line. Probably bu**ered my reputation with both the agency and the client. The worst that can happen is at the last minute they miraculously do an about turn and suddenly agree to the changes!

Leave a comment:

• PerfectStorm
    replied
    Well the update is. ..had interview for gig 2 today which went well. Sounds more interesting and is in a better location (plus more money). The downside is that they won't be getting back to me until Thursday. In the meantime the agency for gig 1 has responded to my requests to amend some of my contract, rejecting the crucial one for me which was to expand on a description of my services in the contract schedule, other than just a job title. Here is their response:

'At the request of the Client we only make reference to the job title as the services may be required on other projects at the banks discretion (for example if one project were to end/be reduced in size.) No further detail can be added to this section.'

Don't think I'm comfortable with this. Would you accept it? Not sure if I can hold off on a response for two days until I find out about gig 2....mind you the agency took two days to get back to me. It's a big risk.
    I've not tried this but I'm aware others on here have used B&C/QDOS contract review services who call up and somehow miraculously get this sorted for you. Perhaps offer a compromise - list some specific actions, and add "other services to be agreed upon"?

Leave a comment:

• LondonManc
    replied
    Originally posted by seanraaron View Post
    Is there a practical reason for having the appearance of being multiple agencies rather than one?
    Tax, liabilities, markets, etc.

They may also have different commission models for the agents with some more aggressively aimed at lower basic higher commission than others and it's easier to segregate by company/advertise for staff based on the commission model. At least I'd imagine that's part of it, given the chats I've had with agents that I know well.

Leave a comment:

• seanraaron
    replied
    Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
    Spring, Modis and CP all part of the same group too.
    Is there a practical reason for having the appearance of being multiple agencies rather than one?

Leave a comment:

• ziggystardust
    replied
    Well the update is. ..had interview for gig 2 today which went well. Sounds more interesting and is in a better location (plus more money). The downside is that they won't be getting back to me until Thursday. In the meantime the agency for gig 1 has responded to my requests to amend some of my contract, rejecting the crucial one for me which was to expand on a description of my services in the contract schedule, other than just a job title. Here is their response:

'At the request of the Client we only make reference to the job title as the services may be required on other projects at the banks discretion (for example if one project were to end/be reduced in size.) No further detail can be added to this section.'

Don't think I'm comfortable with this. Would you accept it? Not sure if I can hold off on a response for two days until I find out about gig 2....mind you the agency took two days to get back to me. It's a big risk.

Leave a comment:

• LondonManc
    replied
    My IR35 expert reviewed the contract and said there were a number of references to overtime and additional hours that would put me at serious risk of being caught in IR35. Agency also wants to charge me a fee of £25 for a CRB check. The overtime clauses seem so obvious, I don't understand why the agency would include them! They are part of Hyphen by the way, not dealt with these guys before. ..
    People have had fun with Hyphen's lack of IR35-friendliness before. It's almost like they've used an old Office Angels contract (who happen to be part of the same group), rather than the more IR35-friendly Adecco contract. Spring, Modis and CP all part of the same group too.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X