• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "IPSE or Qdos or Big Group or keep the money in the bank"

Collapse

• ASB
    replied
    Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
    It's a regular argument.

AIUI, HMRC maintain a list of "professional organisation" whereby you can claim the tax relief. But to be on that list, you have to hand over the membership list to HMRC so they can check who can claim it. So that's not going to happen.

Some people I know class it as insurance, though, even though IPSE don't sell insurance.
    People can claim it as insurance if they want. They'd be lying, but that is their problem.

From the horses mouth:-

"Can my company pay my membership fees?

Yes. Your company can pay the membership fees, but they will not be a deductible expense from your profits and therefore won't affect your corporation tax bill."

Link: https://www.ipse.co.uk/membership-faqs

I would find it quite amusing (in an ironic sort of way) if one of the investigations they defend included HMIT objecting to the fees being claimed against CT.

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    Originally posted by ASB View Post
    You were told correctly membership is not claimable because they are not on the approved list. Anything then they sell separately may be.
    It's a regular argument.

AIUI, HMRC maintain a list of "professional organisation" whereby you can claim the tax relief. But to be on that list, you have to hand over the membership list to HMRC so they can check who can claim it. So that's not going to happen.

Some people I know class it as insurance, though, even though IPSE don't sell insurance.

Leave a comment:

• ASB
    replied
    Originally posted by MPwannadecentincome View Post
    Is it fully tax deductible? I thought this insurance was a personal insurance rather than a business one... also the IPSE Plus membership which covers tax investigation costs I was told is not deductible from Corporation Tax due to the fact that the membership is not recognised by HMRC as IPSE will not release their membership lists to them.
    You were told correctly membership is not claimable because they are not on the approved list. Anything that they sell separately may be.
    Last edited by ASB; 3 December 2015, 12:16.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by MPwannadecentincome View Post
    Is it fully tax deductible? I thought this insurance was a personal insurance rather than a business one... also the IPSE Plus membership which covers tax investigation costs I was told is not deductible from Corporation Tax due to the fact that the membership is not recognised by HMRC as IPSE will not release their membership lists to them.

Would you buy it if you didn't have a business?

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    I wouldn't buy it if I didn't have a business so wholly and exclusive for me. IPSE could be questioned as it's membership but I believe it's allowable due to other benefits so wouldnt take it if you didn't have the business it's deductible as well.. I think that's right.
    Last edited by northernladuk; 2 December 2015, 21:29.

Leave a comment:

• MPwannadecentincome
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    £245 quid (tax deducible)

Leave a comment:

• TykeMerc
    replied
    You don't??? I thought you were the person that voted for me last year?
    Nope, I see no value in that type of vote, things like the "Best Umbrella" are meaningless since people will only know the one they're with and they're hardly going to vote if they find the service is iffy, same goes for Accountants and to a large extent Agents.

I can't think of a circumstance that would induce me to vote for "have you searched?" as useful either.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by TykeMerc View Post
    I don't vote, but yes I agree he's posted a lot of very useful and/or thought provoking stuff.
    You don't??? I thought you were the person that voted for me last year?

Leave a comment:

• TykeMerc
    replied
    Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
    I'm voting jamesbrown this year. He's a star.
    I don't vote, but yes I agree he's posted a lot of very useful and/or thought provoking stuff.

Leave a comment:

• mudskipper
    replied
    I'm voting jamesbrown this year. He's a star.

Leave a comment:

• heyya99
    replied
    Jeez, called out for being obnoxious and unhelpful and now called out for being nice and helpful.. Bearing in mind the former comes naturally I ought to just return to business as usual

I didn't know the CUK awards was coming up and that boat sailed many years ago. More likely that I might be making an appearance at the xmas do and don't want the crap beating out of me if I did turn up!!
    I think I prefer you as a grumpy <snip>
    Last edited by administrator; 2 December 2015, 17:35. Reason: No toilet speak here please.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Only a cynic would note the timing of the CUK 2015 awards poll opening, and the change in tone in your response
    Jeez, called out for being obnoxious and unhelpful and now called out for being nice and helpful.. Bearing in mind the former comes naturally I ought to just return to business as usual

I didn't know the CUK awards was coming up and that boat sailed many years ago. More likely that I might be making an appearance at the xmas do and don't want the crap beating out of me if I did turn up!!

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by TykeMerc View Post
    Considering his tone is consistently obnoxious across the year (years) it's hard to see how a few posts would moderate that, he's never actually helpful beyond doing the searches for people oh and leaping to conclusions with no evidence to save anyone else making a fool of themselves.
    Sadly the first sentence is very true. Although never being helpful beyond searches etc is more pap and an element of pots and kettles there really. There are many other posters better placed to level that accusation

Leave a comment:

• TykeMerc
    replied
    Only a cynic would note the timing of the CUK 2015 awards poll opening, and the change in tone in your response
    Considering his tone is consistently obnoxious across the year (years) it's hard to see how a few posts would moderate that, he's never actually helpful beyond doing the searches for people oh and leaping to conclusions with no evidence to save anyone else making a fool of themselves.

In the long run; like all optional insurances; it's a risk judgement based on the factors as you understand them, in truth there's no "correct" answer.

Leave a comment:

• pr1
    replied
    I thought he'd misread/not read my username - this makes more sense

Leave a comment:

Working...
X