• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: When I grow up....

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "When I grow up...."

Collapse

• unixman
    replied
    Originally posted by Gaz_M View Post
    I agree, especially at start up.

My online store opens in Jan/Feb & will be aimed at the UK market only to begin with. However, I also know there is a market for my inventory in parts of Europe as well as the US but I need to learn to walk first (or even find out if I can walk).

Bit by bit is the way to approach a new online business in my opinion - especially if you are a complete novice like me.
    Sounds good to me. Feel free to post a link to we can share and enjoy.

Leave a comment:

• Gaz_M
    replied
    Originally posted by unixman View Post
    Good stuff. I have a similar dream myself. Making your business "global" means you are competing with everybody in the world. One alternative is to be more local, or maybe UK wide. You can then meet your customers face to face, thus adding more value and perhaps greater profits.
    I agree, especially at start up.

My online store opens in Jan/Feb & will be aimed at the UK market only to begin with. However, I also know there is a market for my inventory in parts of Europe as well as the US but I need to learn to walk first (or even find out if I can walk).

Bit by bit is the way to approach a new online business in my opinion - especially if you are a complete novice like me.

Leave a comment:

• unixman
    replied
    Originally posted by Elliegirl View Post
    You, sir or madam, are a complete star. Thanks for sharing this. It's an itch I just have to scratch, or I'll never know how it might have turned out.
    Good stuff. I have a similar dream myself. Making your business "global" means you are competing with everybody in the world. One alternative is to be more local, or maybe UK wide. You can then meet your customers face to face, thus adding more value and perhaps greater profits.

Leave a comment:

• Dante
    replied
    Originally posted by PurpleGorilla View Post
    What are you going to do?
    Still come across like an absolute bereavement on every one of his posts?

Leave a comment:

• PurpleGorilla
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    What are you going to do in April 17 when the new IR35 hits?
    What are you going to do?

Leave a comment:

• rapid
    replied
    I've got a similar kind of itch myself.. notepad of ideas that I need to get moving on.. you have to be realistic and take the view that it's going to need years of personal investment to build success.

Although it's cheesy, I quite liked the four hour work week and $100 startup, learn startup is also worth a read.. they're not going to make you successful by any means but its good food for thought..

I remember the gopro guy was once asked about gopro being an overnight success.. he said 'yeah a 10 year overnight success' - it certainly felt like one minute no one had gopros then all of a sudden they're everywhere.. but it was a fair few years of hard slog to get where they are today.

Good luck!

Leave a comment:

• Gaz_M
    replied
    You, sir or madam, are a complete star. Thanks for sharing this. It's an itch I just have to scratch, or I'll never know how it might have turned out.
    Personally I can't think of anything more rewarding on a professional basis than if my online business takes off.

Go for it Ellie, you just never know.......

Leave a comment:

• Elliegirl
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    I want some of what you are smoking.
    Was there something you actually wanted to say?

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    I want some of what you are smoking.

Leave a comment:

• Elliegirl
    replied
    Originally posted by Gaz_M View Post
    Don't think anybody actually answered your original question(s).

I have been working towards an online business for two years now and at last I'm beginning to see the fruits of my labour (albeit only to get near the top of Google rankings). My online store will open early in 2016 and again, I have a yearly plan to grow the site over the next four years (at which point I hope to get out of contracting).

It is a hard slog and at times you don't think you are getting anywhere. In my opinion it's absolutely pointless if you can't get on page 1 of Google (unless you are going to pay for prime spots). You will need a niche product/service because everything has been covered to some degree on the internet nowadays.

As for the contracting/online business balance, this can get tricky. I have been in a couple of gigs where I've been in a hotel three nights a week so that has given me some time of my own to get on with things. However, after a long day in the office the last thing you want to do is boot your laptop up & start developing a website. I have found the best way is to write down weekly and monthly aims for the project and that way I have nearly always hit the targets. If I don't write a list I simply don't do it.

Good luck if you do decide to go ahead.

Leave a comment:

• Gaz_M
    replied
    I like contracting. I want to do it for as long as I possibly can.
    I also really really like the idea of owning my own business outside of being a contractor. I'm not sure what I'd do (as in should I sell a product or provide a service) but I'd want it to be some sort of online business so that I have can global reach (It's a power thing...). I've been thinking along these lines for a couple of years now and really need to get on with it.
    Anyone else have an online business or thinking about something similar? if so, how do you balance it with the demands of contracting?
    If there's been a similar thread recently can someone send me the link instead of griping about how we've already discussed this to death?
    Don't think anybody actually answered your original question(s).

I have been working towards an online business for two years now and at last I'm beginning to see the fruits of my labour (albeit only to get near the top of Google rankings). My online store will open early in 2016 and again, I have a yearly plan to grow the site over the next four years (at which point I hope to get out of contracting).

It is a hard slog and at times you don't think you are getting anywhere. In my opinion it's absolutely pointless if you can't get on page 1 of Google (unless you are going to pay for prime spots). You will need a niche product/service because everything has been covered to some degree on the internet nowadays.

As for the contracting/online business balance, this can get tricky. I have been in a couple of gigs where I've been in a hotel three nights a week so that has given me some time of my own to get on with things. However, after a long day in the office the last thing you want to do is boot your laptop up & start developing a website. I have found the best way is to write down weekly and monthly aims for the project and that way I have nearly always hit the targets. If I don't write a list I simply don't do it.

Good luck if you do decide to go ahead.

Leave a comment:

• MrMarkyMark
    replied
    Originally posted by nomadd View Post
    FTFY:-

So your assumption is that come 2000 Brown would like everyone to be inside IR35?

(Hint: Didn't turn out that way...)
    My point exactly .
    There is a lot of noise, but no one can predict where it will end up.

Leave a comment:

• nomadd
    replied
    Originally posted by MrMarkyMark View Post

So your assumption is that come 2017 Osbourne would like everyone to be inside IR35?

So your assumption is that come 2000 Brown would like everyone to be inside IR35?

(Hint: Didn't turn out that way...)

Leave a comment:

• MrMarkyMark
    replied

So your assumption is that come 2017 Osbourne would like everyone to be inside IR35?

Leave a comment:

• nomadd
    replied
    Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
    If you're IR35 caught, how will you be paying dividends?
    So your assumption is that come 2017 everyone is suddenly inside IR35?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X