• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Jobserve vs Reed & Others"

Collapse

• AnotherGuy
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    Upps, sorry. Thanks.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by AnotherGuy View Post
    Related to this matter:

When applying online at Jobserve for example, sometimes clearly the same role is advertised by several agencies. Do you apply with several agencies or just pick one and wait?
    Plenty of threads on this..

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=tw...obile&ie=UTF-8

Leave a comment:

• AnotherGuy
    replied
    Related to this matter:

When applying online at Jobserve for example, sometimes clearly the same role is advertised by several agencies. Do you apply with several agencies or just pick one and wait?

Leave a comment:

• unixman
    replied
    Current client is trying to fill a contract position here. They are having a heck of a time just getting reasonable CVs

Leave a comment:

• AnotherGuy
    replied
    They are filled really slow in my experience. At least with my skillset. Maybe lots of people with same skillset and the clients seems to love doing interviews and trying to find their unicorn.

Sometimes I've been rejected after the interview, and then I find myself getting again and again the very same role for the same client for weeks after. So, unless they are trying to fill more identical positions, it must be the same position, meaning they have plenty of time to spend on interviews, while trying to find that unicorn

Also, very annoying and slow all the selection process, as it is actually the same as if you were to be married with the company for the rest of your days. Including technical tests at home, technical interviews by phone and/or face to face, whiteboard quizzes and pair-programming... My goodness!

Leave a comment:

• unixman
    replied
    We all tend to think that contracts are easy to fill and always filled quickly. But this isn't always the case, especially where precise technical skills are involved. To many agents and some managers, a unix systems admin CV looks very much like a windows admin or even a hardware technician. It doesn't help that candidates mention some skill because they used it for a month back in 2012, or simply mention every skill in a scatter-gun approach, filling 8 or 9 pages.

So yeah I still think most are filled fairly quickly but not as much as they once were.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by Yonmons View Post
    Agreed. I tend to use only jobserve, if i am searching 3 days max and on 3 days you have probably missed the boat.
    Yeah but if you are checking every day you only need to one day surely?

Leave a comment:

• Yonmons
    replied
    Who cares. The agent will get three CVs he needs in a couple of hours. Anything over a day then you are probably too late. What does it matter how long it is up after that.
    Agreed. I tend to use only jobserve, if i am searching 3 days max and on 3 days you have probably missed the boat.

Leave a comment:

• uk contractor
    replied
    Jobserve is best but you only have a few hours to apply otherwise they get too many CV's & thats your chance gone unless its a really niche skillset role.

Government ministers base their stats on all job ads which is highly misleading as many are duplicates or fake to begin with! I would take an educated guess 40% are not even jobs that exist either fake ad, duplicate ad, or job already taken.

Leave a comment:

• unixman
    replied
    I find that Jobserve, though slow, still tends to be the best. As others have said contracts can be advertised and filled very quickly, unlike perm jobs. Never really used Reed.

As for the "who cares" posts, well we care because filled contracts are a potential time waster. The boards don't care as it is no skin off their nose and makes the board look busy. The clients don't care as they already spent the £175 or whatever.

Leave a comment:

• NibblyPig
    replied
    Anecdotal, but I got a job that I applied for on Jobserve without any problems.

Leave a comment:

• TykeMerc
    replied
    Who cares. The agent will get three CVs he needs in a couple of hours. Anything over a day then you are probably too late. What does it matter how long it is up after that.
    +2 (at least)

Leave a comment:

• jmo21
    replied
    is Reed any good for contract roles? Never used it myself

Leave a comment:

• tomtomagain
    replied
    Originally posted by tdhgeek007 View Post
    I know there are other threads about regarding Jobserve and other sites, but I don't know if its just co-incidence or not, but I signed up to receive regular emails of jobs from jobserve, and I notice that the jobs on that site tend to get removed/expired far more quickly than the likes of Reed etc.
    Some jobs on Reed can still be there for weeks etc.
    Now I do realise that that could just be because the job in question is genuinely still 'active', i.e. an open vacancy for one reason or another, but has anyone else noticed this? Or even cares perhaps?
    Jobserve charge to host adverts at a starting rate of £120 for 7 days or £300 for the month.

The Reed site is has different commercial terms, allowing you to post a job for 6 weeks for £175.

This to me explains why jobs "Hang around".

Leave a comment:

• Pogle
    replied
    + 1

Leave a comment:

Working...
X