• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: New contracts

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "New contracts"

Collapse

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by Milkyway View Post
    But this is the worst and unprofessional and unethical way to solicit business by luring and wasting a job candidate's time.

How do these pimps sleep at night - is beyond me, after cheating so many people!
    It's hard the 'worst and unprofessional and unethical way' is it really? It's a bit of a pain at worst. We know they do this so up to you to handle the situation. They are sales people so are always going to do this. So what if there isn't a role, send your CV to them and let them search for you going forward. I just don't get why people get so upset. It's part and parcel of contracting so grow some and deal with it. Learn to spot them, know what to do when you get in these situations, turn it to your advantage and move on. You don't think people that run any other type of business get time wasters as well?

Suck it up and deal with it without getting upset or go perm. Getting upset is just pointless.

Leave a comment:

• squarepeg
    replied
    Must be tough for agencies too

Had three agents call me about the same role. All told me they'd send me an email so I can confirm that it's OK for them to represent me. None did. Must be a really dry time.

Leave a comment:

• Milkyway
    replied
    Originally posted by jonskids View Post
    Had a call back today from an agent about a contract role I applied for on Jobserve earlier in the week (three PTM's required).

He was very keen but then started on about permi roles. Questioned this as the roles I'd shown an interest in were contract.

Response was 'We filled the contract roles within 10 hours from people we know and are happy to put forward - we only put contract roles on Jobserve to show others we are busy'.

May be old news for some but thought I'd share.
    Thanks, and who is this rubbish pimp? (so we all will know to talk to them "with a pinch of salt")

I too have observed that most of the contract jobs are fake, and even told this on an agent's face ("Roc search" guy) when he called up yesterday asking how was i feeling about the market these days! (when he was supposed to be talking about a role he had advertised)

I wish there was a law against all these fake / fraudulent non-existent jobs being advertised.

Maybe companies think this is a good way to advertise one's company cheaply in the web, so everyone will get to know "you exist too" just by advertising all sorts of jobs that don't exist at all!
    It might be cheaper than advertising your products on google!
    But this is the worst and unprofessional and unethical way to solicit business by luring and wasting a job candidate's time.

How do these pimps sleep at night - is beyond me, after cheating so many people!

Leave a comment:

• jonskids
    replied
    Had a call back today from an agent about a contract role I applied for on Jobserve earlier in the week (three PTM's required).

He was very keen but then started on about permi roles. Questioned this as the roles I'd shown an interest in were contract.

Response was 'We filled the contract roles within 10 hours from people we know and are happy to put forward - we only put contract roles on Jobserve to show others we are busy'.

May be old news for some but thought I'd share.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
    Oops done.

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    You don't. You just use like Tinder (Grnder if that's your bag) while you look for contracts on other sites.

Don't forget to register yourself inside IR35 with your accountant while your at it.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by Andy2 View Post
    How do you search for contract jobs on LI. When i do a search it only lists permie jobs.
    You don't. You just use like Tinder (Grnder if that's your bag) while you look for contracts on other sites.

Don't forget to register yourself inside IR35 with your accountant while you're at it.
    Last edited by northernladuk; 25 September 2015, 11:55.

Leave a comment:

• Andy2
    replied
    How do you search for contract jobs on LI. When i do a search it only lists permie jobs.

Leave a comment:

• OnceStonedRose
    replied
    LinkedIn is tinder for professionals I saw recently although no tottie has been msging me regards my Peter Andre circa "mysterious girl" style abs????

Therefore It is tulip.

Leave a comment:

• wantacontract
    replied
    Managed to bag a role that's not too bad, but I think come Jan Feb, if it's quiet, I'll spend half a day on it tidying my linked in profile, I haven't bothered with it for years...but it would seem to be more and more in vogue...
    Last edited by wantacontract; 23 September 2015, 18:06.

Leave a comment:

• jmo21
    replied
    Usually I just email as many agents as I have details stored my CV and see what happens.

This time, I posted a couple of updates on LinkedIn about my availability, and a number of agencts contacted me because of that with a number of roles. I got a bunch of interviews lined up, was offered one, and accepted it.

So it actually was a lot easier doing that, than sending out a ton of emails.

Your mileage may vary I guess, LinkedIn is like anything new, people will resist it. In this case I have found it useful, and will use it again next time I'm looking.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by Andy2 View Post
    yes, searching for jobs on LI seems to list only permie jobs.
    You've either missed the point of the comment you replied to or you've missed the point of LI... So generally you've missed the point.

Leave a comment:

• Andy2
    replied
    Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
    It's not immediately obvious how to use LinkedIn to drum up trade though.
    yes, searching for jobs on LI seems to list only permie jobs.

Leave a comment:

• BolshieBastard
    replied
    LI is wank. OK, cojak has picked up a couple of contacts but imho, if they'd have left the same details with the previous client as they did on LI, the client would likely have contacted them anyway.

When I was on LI, I networked with a lot of people. When I was looking for work, not one of them contacted me about jobs despite me being very proactive and putting job adverts their way when they were looking.

Actually, I tell a lie. One person who'd Id known for nearly 20 years did contact me about a couple of jobs.

If people got that response from jobserve they'd be slagging it off for fun.

Leave a comment:

• Svalbaard
    replied
    Originally posted by cojak View Post
    I found my last 2 roles on LinkedIn (actually they found me).
    Thanks Cojak. Must get my head around Linkedin at some point.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X