• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

New contracts

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Usually I just email as many agents as I have details stored my CV and see what happens.

This time, I posted a couple of updates on LinkedIn about my availability, and a number of agencts contacted me because of that with a number of roles. I got a bunch of interviews lined up, was offered one, and accepted it.

So it actually was a lot easier doing that, than sending out a ton of emails.

Your mileage may vary I guess, LinkedIn is like anything new, people will resist it. In this case I have found it useful, and will use it again next time I'm looking.

Comment

Managed to bag a role that's not too bad, but I think come Jan Feb, if it's quiet, I'll spend half a day on it tidying my linked in profile, I haven't bothered with it for years...but it would seem to be more and more in vogue...
      Last edited by wantacontract; 23 September 2015, 18:06.

Comment

LinkedIn is tinder for professionals I saw recently although no tottie has been msging me regards my Peter Andre circa "mysterious girl" style abs????

Therefore It is tulip.

Comment

How do you search for contract jobs on LI. When i do a search it only lists permie jobs.

Comment

Originally posted by Andy2 View Post
            How do you search for contract jobs on LI. When i do a search it only lists permie jobs.
            You don't. You just use like Tinder (Grnder if that's your bag) while you look for contracts on other sites.

Don't forget to register yourself inside IR35 with your accountant while you're at it.
            Last edited by northernladuk; 25 September 2015, 11:55.
            'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
              You don't. You just use like Tinder (Grnder if that's your bag) while you look for contracts on other sites.

Don't forget to register yourself inside IR35 with your accountant while your at it.
              Best Forum Advisor 2014
              Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
              Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
                Oops done.
                'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Had a call back today from an agent about a contract role I applied for on Jobserve earlier in the week (three PTM's required).

He was very keen but then started on about permi roles. Questioned this as the roles I'd shown an interest in were contract.

Response was 'We filled the contract roles within 10 hours from people we know and are happy to put forward - we only put contract roles on Jobserve to show others we are busy'.

May be old news for some but thought I'd share.

Comment

Originally posted by jonskids View Post
                    Had a call back today from an agent about a contract role I applied for on Jobserve earlier in the week (three PTM's required).

He was very keen but then started on about permi roles. Questioned this as the roles I'd shown an interest in were contract.

Response was 'We filled the contract roles within 10 hours from people we know and are happy to put forward - we only put contract roles on Jobserve to show others we are busy'.

May be old news for some but thought I'd share.
                    Thanks, and who is this rubbish pimp? (so we all will know to talk to them "with a pinch of salt")

I too have observed that most of the contract jobs are fake, and even told this on an agent's face ("Roc search" guy) when he called up yesterday asking how was i feeling about the market these days! (when he was supposed to be talking about a role he had advertised)

I wish there was a law against all these fake / fraudulent non-existent jobs being advertised.

Maybe companies think this is a good way to advertise one's company cheaply in the web, so everyone will get to know "you exist too" just by advertising all sorts of jobs that don't exist at all!
                    It might be cheaper than advertising your products on google!
                    But this is the worst and unprofessional and unethical way to solicit business by luring and wasting a job candidate's time.

How do these pimps sleep at night - is beyond me, after cheating so many people!

Comment

Must be tough for agencies too

Had three agents call me about the same role. All told me they'd send me an email so I can confirm that it's OK for them to represent me. None did. Must be a really dry time.
                      You're awesome! Get yourself a t-shirt.

Comment

Working...
                      X