• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Contract from hell

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Contract from hell"

Collapse

• LHM
    replied
    Originally posted by BolshieBastard View Post
    As it turns out the OP is a lady, I'll temper my comments (a little )

But the fact remains contracting isnt (obviously) permiedom. Things are different. You can be the serf or the lowest of the low. You need to roll up your sleeves and get on with it and no whinging. Quite often the 'job' you thought you'd be doing, isnt.

People coming into contract should be aware of that.
    No need really - you are right tbf. I knew it was going to be tough, first night nerves kicking in I guess, am over it now - largely because I posted on here, and was reminded of the hard facts, and that it's the norm!

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied

No need to be less straight with your words because the OP is female.

You were on Mumsnet after all.....

Leave a comment:

• LondonManc
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    Are you man enough to deal with it and continue to invoice or do you want to voluntarily put yourself on the bench with no income?

Purely a personal choice this one. Do what YOU can cope with.
    Oops.

Leave a comment:

• BolshieBastard
    replied

But the fact remains contracting isnt (obviously) permiedom. Things are different. You can be the serf or the lowest of the low. You need to roll up your sleeves and get on with it and no whinging. Quite often the 'job' you thought you'd be doing, isnt.

People coming into contract should be aware of that.

Leave a comment:

• OnceStonedRose
    replied
    Leg it.

Leave a comment:

• WTFH
    replied
    Originally posted by LHM View Post
    *her

Make sure you don't say anything positive about her in case she slices up your balls.

Leave a comment:

• psychocandy
    replied
    *her
    They'll all start being nice to you now LHM

Leave a comment:

• psychocandy
    replied
    Harsh!? Newbie contractor crying on a forum about their first contract after a week? Oh please!
    Be nice mun thats all

Leave a comment:

• LHM
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    Could be worse, you could give him some feedback.
    *her

Leave a comment:

• Elliegirl
    replied
    Originally posted by FatLazyContractor View Post
    You don't attend them, do you?
    I find they coincide with my hair washing sessions.

Leave a comment:

• Elliegirl
    replied
    Haha love this. Thank you. Up and at 'em I go!!!
    Excellent, glad I and others could help.

And ignore the guff about growing a pair, man up, etc etc. Some people have too much time on their hands.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Harsh!? Newbie contractor crying on a forum about their first contract after a week? Oh please!
    To be fair some people came to contracting from nice employers so it's a shock to them to find lots of companies have a***holes in management positions.

Leave a comment:

• BolshieBastard
    replied
    Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
    Harsh mun Bolshie. And not helping the guy is it?

Leave a comment:

• SlipTheJab
    replied
    Ditto, my current 3 month contract has been a mind numbing nightmare (nothing wrong with the people, just that there is so little work and what there is very tiresome to do, coupled with loads of red tape). Still they're paying me and I'm doing the work. My solution? Find a new contract to start when this one ends and decline the renewal, simples.

Leave a comment:

• uk contractor
    replied
    Most contracts sooner or later are from hell its how the business cycle works if you contract long enough at different clients you realise this & suck it all up or go back to being a permie !

Leave a comment:

Working...
X