• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Anyone else suffering from a holiday lull?"

Collapse

• Bee
    replied
    With this post, I'm not feeling so bad knowing that i'm not the only one.

Leave a comment:

• Boo
    replied
    Originally posted by LucidDementia View Post
    Of course there will be exceptions but if someone is sitting on the bench for 12 months demanding £700 p/d and turning his nose up at £550 p/d all the while he deserves everything he gets.
    Maybe, maybe not... https://www.google.com/search?as_q=l...pe=&as_rights=

Boo

Leave a comment:

• MrMarkyMark
    replied
    Originally posted by LucidDementia View Post
    Of course there will be exceptions but if someone is sitting on the bench for 12 months demanding £700 p/d and turning his nose up at £550 p/d all the while he deserves everything he gets.
    One very savvy woman contractor, I first met on site, 16 years ago now, gave me some great first time contractor tips.

One of which was "never fix your rate".
    She then said, "Then you will be doing this, in the future, for as long as I have".

Good advice.

Leave a comment:

• LucidDementia
    replied
    Originally posted by Yonmons View Post
    Some people get lucky, for me this year has been very poor, I have never seen it so quiet locally. It sure as hell aint going to pick up from now to the end of the year.
    I get lucky. Every time I want a contract.

To be brutally honest the more time I spend on these forums the more I think there are many contractors who are either not as good as they imagine themselves to be or worth a lot less than they imagine themselves to be. The result of either of these things is bench time. And rightly so.

Leave a comment:

• Yonmons
    replied
    Some people get lucky, for me this year has been very poor, I have never seen it so quiet locally. It sure as hell aint going to pick up from now to the end of the year.

Leave a comment:

• uk contractor
    replied
    Originally posted by MrMarkyMark View Post
    Especially when you have been involved for all of five minutes
    Or work for £5.50 per hour not 550 per day

Leave a comment:

• MrMarkyMark
    replied
    Originally posted by vadhert View Post
    Rubbish, according to the 'What a result' thread. All is fine in the contracting world.

Especially when you have been involved for all of five minutes

Leave a comment:

• vadhert
    replied
    Rubbish, according to the 'What a result' thread. All is fine in the contracting world.

Leave a comment:

• psychocandy
    replied
    Seeing a lot of crap rates at the moment. :-(

Leave a comment:

• BlasterBates
    replied
    Originally posted by uk contractor View Post
    After speaking to a lot of agents recently I am starting to realise the no1 reason behind the recent lull in some IT sectors is the April 2016 contractor implications. This is making many convert contract roles to perm or simply make do with existing resource
    The changes if they are introduced will mean risk for the client, so yes this makes sense. They will wait for the announcements, then they need a few weeks for the legal beagles to work out their strategy.

I think this will dampen demand somewhat but shouldn't prevent clients from hiring until March, shouldn't affect extensions.

Leave a comment:

• BolshieBastard
    replied
    Well Ive been extended to December then a new contract offered with the same client from January to March.

This time of year is never much cop for picking up contracts but can be done.

Leave a comment:

• oliverson
    replied
    After speaking to a lot of agents recently I am starting to realise the no1 reason behind the recent lull in some IT sectors is the April 2016 contractor implications. This is making many convert contract roles to perm or simply make do with existing resource
    More like wishful thinking on the part of the client (trying to save money) or the agent (trying to get the commission on placing a permie candidate). Pretty soon the penny will drop it ain't gonna happen no matter what the government do. Not for proper contractors anyway.

Leave a comment:

• MrMarkyMark
    replied
    Hmmmm, unsure how much truth there really is in this.
    May just be agent speculation.

Leave a comment:

• uk contractor
    replied

Leave a comment:

• wantacontract
    replied
    Originally posted by GJABS View Post
    Well I think the market has picked up a little this week - two interviews and an offer.
    Anyone else notice this?
    Bit of a carp rate (£300/day), but just about worthy of a banana I think
    it's a living and gets you off the bench....

Leave a comment:

Working...
X