• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Notice period

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Notice period"

Collapse

• Eirikur
    replied
    In stead of giving me notice yesterday, which I totally expected to happen or at least tell me I wouldn't be extended in 2 weeks time, they offered to extend me for a month. Very strange as I am totally sidelined in my project. Anyway gives me more time to apply for another contract if I don't find anything within the next two weeks.

Leave a comment:

• Eirikur
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    How about putting September on your CV and not worrying about a day?
    Because them banks all want SC like background checks nowadays.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    How about putting September on your CV and not worrying about a day?

Leave a comment:

• WTFH
    replied
    How about handing in your notice and stating what day you want to be your last day. Just cause it says "one week" doesn't mean that is the maximum number of days!

"I wish to terminate the contract with my last working day being Thursday 3rd September" (or whatever date you are using).

So, state the final date in your letter. In future, if you make the decision to go, hand in your letter at an appropriate time between when you make that decision and a few days before the contract clause kicks in. It's considered polite and professional.

Leave a comment:

• Eirikur
    replied
    Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
    There is some logic in it, especially if you have lots of short contracts
    Exactly

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Logic is fine, inability to make a decision over one extra day is not.

Leave a comment:

• SimonMac
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    Jesus wept.... Seriously???

Leave a comment:

• SimonMac
    replied
    Originally posted by Eirikur View Post
    I agree but I want to be able to say in my CV, I was there until September
    The wait a few days and give notice on Friday to finish the following Friday

Leave a comment:

• stek
    replied
    Adopt the Julian Calendar...

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Jesus wept.... Seriously???

Leave a comment:

• pr1
    replied
    1. Overview
    If you want to leave your job, check your employment contract for the amount of notice you must give your employer.

Your employment contract will tell you:

how much notice you must give
    how you must give notice
    how much you’ll be paid during your notice period
    what may happen if you leave to work for a competitor
    If you’ve worked there for more than 1 month you must give at least 1 week’s notice.

Your notice period usually runs from the start of the day after you handed your notice in.

Leave a comment:

• Eirikur
    replied
    If either party is going to quibble over a day it would seem to be the relationship has broken down to an irreconcilable state so the quicker you are off site the better, assuming all handovers are finished try and finish on the following Friday, and avoid handing your notice in on any other day than Monday or Friday

Leave a comment:

• SimonMac
    replied
    If either party is going to quibble over a day it would seem to be the relationship has broken down to an irreconcilable state so the quicker you are off site the better, assuming all handovers are finished try and finish on the following Friday, and avoid handing your notice in on any other day than Monday or Friday

Leave a comment:

• Willapp
    replied
    In the absence of any specific definition of what "one week" means in any contract you may have signed (e.g. 5 business days, 7 calendar days), I personally would take the last day to be next Tuesday (1st September) as I would deem notice to be in effect from the end of the day on which its given. i.e. strictly speaking if you worked until 5pm then I would say one week notice means you would finish at 5pm next Tuesday.

Just my take on it though.

Leave a comment:

• Eirikur
    started a topic Notice period

Notice period

If your notice period is 1 week and you would give or be given notice on a Tuesday (today 25/08)
    would your last working day be:
    Friday 28/08 (due to bank holiday Monday) (would it normally be Monday if there was no bank holiday?)
    Tuesday 01/09
    Wednesday 02/09

Does it matter what time of the day one would give/be given notice early morning or late afternoon?

Working...
X