• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "How do you spend the last days of a contract?"

Collapse

• Danglekt
    replied
    I finished earlier this week, I got everyone a nice bottle of prosecco (sp? I don't like wine!) and chocs each

A big box of krispie cremes

Took them all out for lunch

Been there a year, and there is only 4 of them.

It's nice to be nice.

Leave a comment:

• LondonManc
    replied
    Be professional. If there's no work for you to do and there's a new gig already lined up, exit as amicably and as soon as possible.

Key points:
    - Complete all handovers, no matter how anal it seems to you
    - Make sure your timesheets are all signed.
    - Get the donuts/cakes and/or beer in
    - Leave your company contact details with any managers who you'd work for.
    - Secure your referee(s). If you've used two tools (e.g. building reports over a data warehouse), you may need to secure a reporting tool referee and a data warehousing referee.
    - Try not to look happy that you're going

Leave a comment:

• PerfectStorm
    replied
    Make sure there's a little bit of key information and only you know.

Leave a comment:

• Antman
    replied
    I think that there's a £50 limit per client per year, unless you can brand the gift or summat. That is if you try to claim it as an expense...

First link back from google

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by strawberrysmoothie View Post
    I have no idea. But a bottle of cheap sainsbury's bubbly and some £10 cigars isn't exactly breaking the bank or remotely dodgy.
    Isn't impressing anyone either.....

Leave a comment:

• strawberrysmoothie
    replied
    Originally posted by Antman View Post
    I do the drinks in the pub but isn't there supposed to be some sort of monetary limit to gifts that can be accepted etc. etc.?
    I have no idea. But a bottle of cheap sainsbury's bubbly and some £10 cigars isn't exactly breaking the bank or remotely dodgy.

Leave a comment:

• Antman
    replied
    Originally posted by strawberrysmoothie View Post
    Kind depends.

If I like the client:

-I've brought my client a leaving gift a bottle of bubbly (that also a way of saying thanks offering to pay me 'overtime' when I worked late for a month).

-I've brought another client a some good (though not expensive) quality cigars as well.

- Always buy a couple boxes of crispy cremes and cakes as a goodbye gift for the team.

- Farewell email and get my timesheet signed.

- Drinks at the pub

If I don't like the client.

- I will show up
    - Do any outstanding work
    - Get my timesheet signed
    - Go home!
    I do the drinks in the pub but isn't there supposed to be some sort of monetary limit to gifts that can be accepted etc. etc.?

Leave a comment:

• strawberrysmoothie
    replied
    Kind depends.

If I like the client:

-I've brought my client a leaving gift a bottle of bubbly (that also a way of saying thanks offering to pay me 'overtime' when I worked late for a month).

-I've brought another client a some good (though not expensive) quality cigars as well.

- Always buy a couple boxes of crispy cremes and cakes as a goodbye gift for the team.

- Farewell email and get my timesheet signed.

- Drinks at the pub

If I don't like the client.

- I will show up
    - Do any outstanding work
    - Get my timesheet signed
    - Go home!

Leave a comment:

• unixman
    replied
    I bought my team mates breakfast in the company canteen. Well, you can't go overboard.

Leave a comment:

• CloudWalker
    replied
    Well handover done. Out of office reply set up. Last invoice raised .
    Now for the invertible hand shakes and linkedin details exchange.

Leave a comment:

• 7specialgems
    replied
    Depending on how the gig went, whether or not I think there will be repeat work in the future (or if I would take it if there was) I am professional, or I am "professional".

I've had a gig that was a real slog and there were some personalities, so I hung around throughout the entire notice period.

I can think of two others where I shook hands with the manager at the end of the "conversation neither of us wanted to have had" and offered that, if there is no material need for me to come in, I am more than happy once he had covered it off with HR/the agency, if he wanted to call a meeting with the team and announce that I'll be on my way at the end of the day/week/month.

Krispy Kremes on the last day for nice clients too.

Leave a comment:

• TheLordDave
    replied
    Same as usual, do as little as possible and invoice

Leave a comment:

• BolshieBastard
    replied
    Originally posted by CloudWalker View Post
    My contract is ending at the end of the month and i've finished all my work.
    Tempted to (work from home) for next 24 hours on the deck chair
    But how do you spend the last days of a contract? Job hunting / Surfing ContractorUK / Raiding the stationary cupboard ?
    By being professional. If there's any related jobs I can do ie create desk aids, help sheets etc, I'll do that. If there's no work, I tell the client I'll take the rest of the time off as holidays.

Leave a comment:

• sal
    replied
    Writing/updating documentation, going one last time through the handover bullet points, tidying my desk and workstation, getting rid of all the "temp" stuff be it files or VMs or w/e, making sure i have a copy of all the useful scripts I wrote or "borrowed" during my tenure, getting a copy of key e-mails that i might need in the future as a proof for accomplishing something or absolving me of responsibility for a screw-up.

Leave a comment:

• chineseJohn
    replied
    Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
    - it's about time I rejoined the forum

Leave a comment:

Working...
X