• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Working Practices pass, but contract is a fail"

Collapse

• psychocandy
    replied
    The old "well every contractor signs it and you're the first one whos ever had an issue" argument.

Same old every time....

Leave a comment:

• TykeMerc
    replied
    Originally posted by The Spartan View Post
    Exactly and to be fair I believe he had no idea what he was talking about, either that or he was spinning it like a politician.
    You can safely assume both.

As we've all seen agents have no clue, they just have processes to follow and odds are they get reduced commissions if people won't sign the ripoff terms, absurd declarations and comedy contracts.
    Not like as a group they're famous for truthfulness.

Leave a comment:

• The Spartan
    replied
    Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
    Hmmm - so you sign that and blow your right of substitution because everyone has to be a director or owns more than 5% of your company.
    Exactly and to be fair I believe he had no idea what he was talking about, either that or he was spinning it like a politician.

Leave a comment:

• The Spartan
    replied
    Originally posted by cojak View Post
    And (apart from walking away from a contract*), this is your problem how?

(*In the same position I'd do exactly the same as you btw.)
    I gave them an alternative declaration which they're going to allow me to sign, but I find their tactics very heavy handed and downright despicable. I just told the client about their behavior and they were less than impressed, I'm guessing they just like being told by me that I am not going to put up with their tulipe.

Even the QDOS review flagged the declaration as being absolute junk, but no their employment lawyers know better. Hmmm if it's on the gov.uk site in black and white how is it open to that type of interpretation

Leave a comment:

• cojak
    replied
    Just had the most hilarious conversation ever with the CO of the recruitment company basically telling me that if I didn't accept the declaration, that it would be a flag to HMRC because as per the norm every other contractor is signing it:
    And (apart from walking away from a contract*), this is your problem how?

(*In the same position I'd do exactly the same as you btw.)

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    Just had the most hilarious conversation ever with the CO of the recruitment company basically telling me that if I didn't accept the declaration, that it would be a flag to HMRC because as per the norm every other contractor is signing it:

In relation to the agency legislation (Chapter 7, Part 2 Income Tax (Earnings and Pensions) Act 2003) (also
    known as the Onshore Intermediary legislation), on behalf of <The Company> I declare:
    That all individual(s) supplied by <The Company> and <ROA> (known as PSC) is/are
    owners/directors and shareholders of the company (such shareholding is more than 5%);
    That the PSC will provide such evidence as required by <The Recruitment Company> that any
    individuals supplied by the PSC are shareholders or directors;
    That, in order to benefit from the transfer of liability provision set out in section 44(4)(b) of the Income
    Tax (Earnings and Pensions) Act 2003, any remuneration payable by the PSC to any individuals supplied
    by it is treated by the PSC as employment income;
    That, any other payments (which do not amount to remuneration) made by the PSC to any individuals
    supplied by it are treated as dividend income as a genuine consequence of that individual's
    shareholding in the PSC;
    That the PSC is VAT registered;
    That if the PSC is VAT registered I will provide a copy of the VAT Registration Certificate;
    That the PSC is not an Offshore Company.
    Should the PSC fail to meet the above criteria, then the PSC will be unable to provide their service to the <Recruitment company>
    Hmmm - so you sign that and blow your right of substitution because everyone has to be a director or owns more than 5% of your company.

Leave a comment:

• The Spartan
    replied

In relation to the agency legislation (Chapter 7, Part 2 Income Tax (Earnings and Pensions) Act 2003) (also
    known as the Onshore Intermediary legislation), on behalf of <The Company> I declare:
    That all individual(s) supplied by <The Company> and <ROA> (known as PSC) is/are
    owners/directors and shareholders of the company (such shareholding is more than 5%);
    That the PSC will provide such evidence as required by <The Recruitment Company> that any
    individuals supplied by the PSC are shareholders or directors;
    That, in order to benefit from the transfer of liability provision set out in section 44(4)(b) of the Income
    Tax (Earnings and Pensions) Act 2003, any remuneration payable by the PSC to any individuals supplied
    by it is treated by the PSC as employment income;
    That, any other payments (which do not amount to remuneration) made by the PSC to any individuals
    supplied by it are treated as dividend income as a genuine consequence of that individual's
    shareholding in the PSC;
    That the PSC is VAT registered;
    That if the PSC is VAT registered I will provide a copy of the VAT Registration Certificate;
    That the PSC is not an Offshore Company.
    Should the PSC fail to meet the above criteria, then the PSC will be unable to provide their service to the <Recruitment company>

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    you got that right, the thought had definitely crossed my mind. Glad it's resolved now but I'm horrified at how such a small change in legislation has been taken.
    To be ever so slightly fair to the agency it might be a small change but if they have misunderstood it ,which looks likely, it could look like they are exposing themselves to a lot of risk hence the knee jerk reaction.

Actually saying thay, **** Em, they screwed up and look a bit silly now. No being fair to them.

Leave a comment:

• The Spartan
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    It's more likely the threat of the Op and 299 of his mates turning up at the agency dress in capes and a loin cloths carry shields and spears that tipped it.
    you got that right, the thought had definitely crossed my mind. Glad it's resolved now but I'm horrified at how such a small change in legislation has been taken.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by TykeMerc View Post
    Sensible use of the negotiation point there, or more accurately the negotiating baseball bat with nails through it
    It's more likely the threat of the Op and 299 of his mates turning up at the agency dress in capes and a loin cloths carry shields and spears that tipped it.

Leave a comment:

• TykeMerc
    replied
    Just got off the phone with the agent all sorted now they're going to make the amendments after I mentioned that I would indeed inform the client that they were jerking me around with the contract.
    Sensible use of the negotiation point there, or more accurately the negotiating baseball bat with nails through it

Leave a comment:

• The Spartan
    replied
    Originally posted by TykeMerc View Post
    If you hit a stone wall with the Agency then a polite word with the client explaining why you're unable to accept the renewal due to the Agency trying to impose conditions may be in order. Nothing to lose at that point really.
    Just got off the phone with the agent all sorted now they're going to make the amendments after I mentioned that I would indeed inform the client that they were jerking me around with the contract.

Leave a comment:

• TykeMerc
    replied
    Yeah definitely looking that way, the client is going to be very unhappy if I decide to not take it. I have no idea why they find it so difficult to understand.
    If you hit a stone wall with the Agency then a polite word with the client explaining why you're unable to accept the renewal due to the Agency trying to impose conditions may be in order. Nothing to lose at that point really.

Leave a comment:

• The Spartan
    replied
    Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
    Agency getting wrong end of the stick and sticking crap in their contracts and not giving a monkeys. Sounds familiar :-)

Good luck spartie. Surely you're in the position of power here though? You've been there a while, client wants you to stay, agency trying to change the status quo. Can't imagine client would be overpleased if you said sorry, agency are trying to change things, I'd have been happy to stay otherwise.
    Yeah definitely looking that way, the client is going to be very unhappy if I decide to not take it. I have no idea why they find it so difficult to understand.

Leave a comment:

• psychocandy
    replied
    Agency getting wrong end of the stick and sticking crap in their contracts and not giving a monkeys. Sounds familiar :-)

Good luck spartie. Surely you're in the position of power here though? You've been there a while, client wants you to stay, agency trying to change the status quo. Can't imagine client would be overpleased if you said sorry, agency are trying to change things, I'd have been happy to stay otherwise.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X