• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Do LinkedIn recommendations matter at all?"

Collapse

• Batcher
    replied
    Originally posted by MikeP View Post
    S/he actually meant hilighting availability focuses the *current* agent on the task at hand -> contract extension.
    I do the same, a change in status sends out notifications. So, as I'm linked with my agent, I know they will get an email within a couple of days stating I'm available for work from beginning of next month. Works for me.
    He

Yes, that's the point of changing status so the agent gets notified that I've started looking. I've also hidden my contacts from each other so if an agent links with me they won't get to trawl for more contacts.

Leave a comment:

• MikeP
    replied
    Originally posted by Taita View Post
    I am sure you think you are unique but surely you know that little things like availability do not deter determined agents with a aggressive sales managers hounding them for results? If you are not called regularly maybe you are not in demand?
    S/he actually meant hilighting availability focuses the *current* agent on the task at hand -> contract extension.
    I do the same, a change in status sends out notifications. So, as I'm linked with my agent, I know they will get an email within a couple of days stating I'm available for work from beginning of next month. Works for me.

Leave a comment:

• SlipTheJab
    replied
    Originally posted by uk contractor View Post
    Linkedin is the facebook of IT recruitment. Very useful phishing tool for recruitment agency workers but that's about it. Not much use for landing a decent role IME.
    I would agree were it not for the fact that LI is how I got my current contract, LI is a pain sometimes but you can make it work for you.

Leave a comment:

• Batcher
    replied
    What bit of my English did you not understand, please? Was it the bit about how the sales process actually works?
    I didn't understand any of it. It made me think you were quoting my post but answering someone else's.

Leave a comment:

• Taita
    replied
    Originally posted by Batcher View Post
    In English please?
    What bit of my English did you not understand, please? Was it the bit about how the sales process actually works?

Leave a comment:

• Batcher
    replied
    I am sure you think you are unique but surely you know that little things like availability do not deter determined agents with a aggressive sales managers hounding them for results? If you are not called regularly maybe you are not in demand?
    In English please?

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    It shows what you say. So you work for a big organisation but are you sure of your anonymity. Your name is public and you are probably identifiable on the internal contact directory.........
    And knowing my name and where I appear on the internal contract directory (assuming I do) will still not give them the right person to discuss replacing me.

If they could look at where I appear in the directory (assuming I do) and work out which country the person they need to speak to works, I'd be very surprised.

Leave a comment:

• Taita
    replied
    Originally posted by Batcher View Post
    +1

I update my LinkedIn profile to say I'm looking for new contracts when there's less than 4 weeks to go on a current contract if I haven't heard anything from Client or Agency. I find it helps to focus their minds on the job at hand

Leave a comment:

• Taita
    replied
    Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
    Mine always is - it shows that I've not been out of work since 2012 as a starter. And if an agent thinks they can find the right person in an organisation of 80000 to discuss replacing me, then good luck with that.
    It shows what you say. So you work for a big organisation but are you sure of your anonymity? Your name is public and you are probably identifiable on the internal contact directory. I bet a rookie could find your department and then somebody with a little authority, just for starters..........
    Last edited by Taita; 20 May 2015, 16:19.

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    There are phrases and styles that I would put on my LinkedIn profile that wouldn't appear on my CV.

Your best bet (if you're an IPSE member) is to spend a couple of hours on their webinars when they next do one for LinkedIn writing and CV writing.

If you're already a member, send me a PM on the IPSE forums and I'll send you a link to the recording of the last LinkedIn one they did.
    If you're an IPSE member, there is a webinar next week: Advanced CV writing and LinkedIn Profiles for Newer Contractors (Up to 5 years), Wednesday 27th May, from 7pm

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    Absolutely this. This is the main reason I'm so aggressive when people ask stupid questions. This is my biggest bugbear but unfortunately we will never fix it and it's only going to get worse as every idiot jumps on board. Just gonna have to keep taking the tablets and grow some I guess.
    If everyone went to court for speeding tickets then the court system would collapse. As you say, you will never fix it. But I am disappointed you never responded to my newbie questions. Please help!

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by vwdan View Post
    If more contractors acted like contractors we wouldn't have half the issues with perception that we do.
    Absolutely this. This is the main reason I'm so aggressive when people ask stupid questions. This is my biggest bugbear but unfortunately we will never fix it and it's only going to get worse as every idiot jumps on board. Just gonna have to keep taking the tablets and grow some I guess.

Leave a comment:

• Batcher
    replied
    Originally posted by vwdan View Post
    Im not sure I even understand this post - my profile always has (Available $month) and yesterday I sent a message to my PM saying "Any news on the extension we spoke about because Im getting calls and its hard to say no with no paperwork

If more contractors acted like contractors we wouldn't have half the issues with perception that we do.
    +1

I update my LinkedIn profile to say I'm looking for new contracts when there's less than 4 weeks to go on a current contract if I haven't heard anything from Client or Agency. I find it helps to focus their minds on the job at hand

Leave a comment:

• TechJinx
    replied
    What's a line manager?
    A Bouncer

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
    Why is their current role on linkedin or their CV?
    Mine always is - it shows that I've not been out of work since 2012 as a starter. And if an agent thinks they can find the right person in an organisation of 80000 to discuss replacing me, then good luck with that.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X