• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Surreal perm offer or what?"

Collapse

• SarahL2012
    replied
    Originally posted by BolshieBastard View Post
    Sorry, dont believe this for one second. There's no way a client will put a role out to market at contract rate then after interview say they want to offer permie terms.
    I've been asked 10 minutes into the interview whether I would mind whether they interviewed me for the permanent position because they were so impressed with my CV. I had to tactfully say I was just there for the interim role and felt I was a wee bit over-qualified to do the job on a permanent basis.

Annual perm salary was what I took home in 6 months doing it on a contract basis too.

Leave a comment:

• uk contractor
    replied
    £29k I would not get out of bed for double that unless Margot Robbie was holding the money Its not uncommon for agencies to talk the end client into converting to a perm role either. Way more commission in it for them as someone else said

Leave a comment:

• BolshieBastard
    replied
    Sorry, dont believe this for one second. There's no way a client will put a role out to market at contract rate then after interview say they want to offer permie terms.

Leave a comment:

• psychocandy
    replied
    Originally posted by jmo21 View Post
    Not even, "would you consider permie" first!?

I'd be pretty annoyed too.
    Nope no mention apparently.

Sure someone said to me once that contracting is not big in the US because they just don't get the idea that someone wouldnt want to be 'part' of an organisation. That they think of contractors/temp as just people who are unlucky and who are hoping to be taken on a perm.

Looks like client maybe thinks like this?

Leave a comment:

• PerfectStorm
    replied
    Good news :lol:

Leave a comment:

• jmo21
    replied
    Not even, "would you consider permie" first!?

I'd be pretty annoyed too.

Leave a comment:

• MattZani
    replied
    Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
    Cant see anyone getting anywhere with that one. After all, we could all do that - turn up for interview find that the agent has polished the turd etc. and then expect them to cough up. Never gonna happen.
    I know. Although it's not about the money, it's about sending the message that you don't have to mess around with contractors

Leave a comment:

• psychocandy
    replied
    Originally posted by SunnyInHades View Post
    Nice little quick earner for the agency rather than a tight margin ? - 20% placement fee ? = 6K ?
    Aye. I'd have thought that. Agency trying to fob a contractor into a position that was never ever contract and only perm.

BUT, mate swears blind they confirmed contract etc at interview. So looks like this came from the client.

Bet agency person nearly fell off their chair when they realised this and hoping they can get someone in perm!

Leave a comment:

• SunnyInHades
    replied
    Originally posted by psychocandy View Post

a permanent position instead!
    £29K
    Great company as you know, and I'm sure it'll be a great career move for you"

Nice little quick earner for the agency rather than a tight margin ? - 20% placement fee ? = 6K ?

Leave a comment:

• psychocandy
    replied
    Originally posted by MattZani View Post
    If your mate has everything in writing, can't he just threaten to sue them and bill them for travel expenses, one day off from work,...?

I have no idea if there's any legal ground to do that, but if there was it would serve them just right.
    Cant see anyone getting anywhere with that one. After all, we could all do that - turn up for interview find that the agent has polished the turd etc. and then expect them to cough up. Never gonna happen.

Leave a comment:

• MattZani
    replied
    If your mate has everything in writing, can't he just threaten to sue them and bill them for travel expenses, one day off from work,...?

I have no idea if there's any legal ground to do that, but if there was it would serve them just right.

Leave a comment:

• MicrosoftBob
    replied
    Offer to accept it if they pay the contract rate they were offered

Leave a comment:

• psychocandy
    started a topic Surreal perm offer or what?

Surreal perm offer or what?

Never seen anything quite like this. Not me this time but a mate of mine - fellow contractor.

He had phone interview then face to face for gig. Local and decent enough rate. Discussed contract length etc at interview apparently - seemed to go ok he said.

Out of the blue - gets an email from agency.

"Congratulations, some really good news, xyz liked you so much, they've managed to get authorisation and want to offer you a permanent position instead!

£29K (yes this was the real figure!) plus pension blah blah blah

Great company as you know, and I'm sure it'll be a great career move for you"

Unbelievable. I've met a few clients/permies who always say they'd never fancy contracting but never had a client ASSUME you'd take a crap salary over a decent contract rate. Thing is a three month contract almost pays as much as the annual salary they offered him!

I though it was hilarious but my mate is fuming!

Got a Porsche garage down the road from me. Thinking of wasting a few hours taking a test drive this weekend and then offering them £200 cash and badgering them to accept.

Working...
X