• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Do you bother following up on applications made via recruiters"

Collapse

• MicrosoftBob
    replied
    Never, if they want me they'll chase me

Until I've signed a contract, any agency approach is just a sales pitch

Leave a comment:

• theroyale
    replied
    Originally posted by Sean Key View Post
    But only to:
    • Look interested
    • Remind them who I am and I'm still looking
    • Try and build rapport
    • Zero expectation, like others say, that they've just forgotten to call me back
    +1.

I am surprised lots of folk here say "Never ever" follow-up. Maybe they are all plum fin services contractors with fantastic agent contacts and walk in to several jobs at once.

I do almost always follow-up with agents. It is to build rapport. I tend to come across fairly articulately on the phone and I can see hear in the agents tone that I'm moving up the shortlist pile because of this. (Not that this guarantees a contract or anything).

Leave a comment:

• rootsnall
    replied
    Originally posted by Sean Key View Post
    But only to:
    • Look interested
    • Try and build rapport
    • Zero expectation, like others say, that they've just forgotten to call me back
    +1 - if I was sat at home and on a serious contract hunt then I'd just allot a morning a week for ringing round

Leave a comment:

• Sean Key
    replied
    Yes

But only to:
    • Look interested
    • Try and build rapport

Leave a comment:

• Elliegirl
    replied
    [QUOTE=SussexSeagull;2082665]Waste of time. In fact, I won't even chase up after interviews now.

This is the real shocker as far as I'm concerned. Happened to me twice in my career and still has the power to reduce me to smouldering rage. You fight off all the competitors to get to interview stage. You are sooo loved that you get an invitation to 'link up' from the agent. You spend time preparing, sometimes for a 2.5 hour interview (YES! you read that right!!) You go off and bare your soul and then wait. And wait. Then nothing. You manage to speak to agent, who says client is still deciding, then wait again. This time agent doesn't return your call. I don't blame the client when this happens, I always blame the agent. I have no direct relationship with the client; if they have been a sloppy time waster, which is quite possible, I expect the agent to tell me so. I do not expect no response.

Leave a comment:

• Roger Mellie
    replied
    Originally posted by Untouchable1 View Post
    Hi,

Just wondered if you bother to follow up on applications made via recruiters.

I work on the assumption that if I've got a chance at the role then they will get in contact with me quick enough.

But I usually have a niggling 'they are so often really useless human beings' feeling, so am wondering if I should chase them.

What do you do?

Untouchable1
    They just follow the old HR narrative from before the days of agents: "If you don't hear from us, you've been unsuccessful".

Leave a comment:

• PerfectStorm
    replied
    Originally posted by Elliegirl View Post
    Never. Ever.
    Because from the perspective of the agent, it's all about money, followed by time. They will call you back if there is an interview to be had. Why waste valuable time calling you otherwise? In the early days of my contracting youth I would do so, and never once did an agent respond (if they returned my calls ) by saying 'ah yes of course, I nearly forgot. Client loves you, can we arrange an interview?'
    This

Leave a comment:

• SussexSeagull
    replied
    Waste of time. In fact, I won't even chase up after interviews now.

Sad state of affairs but there you go.

Then again there was a time when everyone responded to an RSVP card but now I guess no response = no.
    Last edited by SussexSeagull; 18 April 2015, 18:42.

Leave a comment:

• Elliegirl
    replied
    Never. Ever.
    Because from the perspective of the agent, it's all about money, followed by time. They will call you back if there is an interview to be had. Why waste valuable time calling you otherwise? In the early days of my contracting youth I would do so, and never once did an agent respond (if they returned my calls ) by saying 'ah yes of course, I nearly forgot. Client loves you, can we arrange an interview?'

Leave a comment:

• Avalonia
    replied
    No, pimps enjoy dodging you

Leave a comment:

• TheLordDave
    replied
    I tend to call after submission, get spin the yarn. Then follow up a week later if it sounds interesting. You usually get the 'he is on lunch/on dinner' rubbish then and know you haven't been submitted.

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    Originally posted by cojak View Post
    If you really, really like the sound of the contract, yes.
    This, and only this.

There's no point otherwise - and with many agents, they will be "on the phone" or "with a client" when you ring anyway.

Or so I've heard - I've never rung an agent since I got my first contract.

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Never. No point. If they want you they know where you are.

Leave a comment:

• TykeMerc
    replied
    If it's one I really fancy I will fire off an application off the job site then follow it up 10 mins later with a call. If I don't get through or a call back in fairly short order then I won't bother much more than that.
    I've come across far too many vapourware roles over the years for it to be worth the mental effort.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by cojak View Post
    If you really, really like the sound of the contract, yes.
    This but I'm 100% sure following up didn't make a difference at all.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X