• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Notice Periods

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Notice Periods"

Collapse

• AnotherGuy
    replied
    What about longer notice periods but both ways (client and contractor)?
    Let's say, 2 months? or even 3 months, when the contract is long term?

Is it even desiderable? What's the longest you've heard of?

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by FarmerPalmer View Post
    I always consider notice to be a MOOt point.
    That's cause they are for permies.

Leave a comment:

• FarmerPalmer
    replied
    I always consider notice to be a MOOt point.

Leave a comment:

• BoredBloke
    replied
    Notice is 2 weeks both ways. I'm happy enough with that.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by BoredBloke View Post
    Looks like I'm getting a notice period built in - only 2 weeks but it's better than nothing.
    Which way?

Leave a comment:

• BoredBloke
    replied
    Looks like I'm getting a notice period built in - only 2 weeks but it's better than nothing.

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    That's what everyone says but I've not met many contractors in the north west that haven't done a stint there. It's like the place you have to cut your teeth in before you can be cut out I think
    Granted I'm not from the north west but I probably held the record for longest serving contractor at Caudwell (18 months)...

Strangely I've never had any desire to go near Barclay's in either London or elsewhere. They reputation always proceeded them (and note where I've happily worked in the past)...

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by FatLazyContractor View Post
    I see. I was assuming a day rate of £800 - £1000 with all those clauses and conditions.

Won't touch them with a well rusted barge pole.
    That's what everyone says but I've not met many contractors in the north west that haven't done a stint there. It's like the place you have to cut your teeth in before you can be cut out I think

Leave a comment:

• FatLazyContractor
    replied
    I believe their rates have been up and down like the Mrs's knickers. They were okish while I was there then took a serious nose dive with a 10% cut and then a cull of all contractors. The rates offered when the doors opened again were absolutely abysmal. I seem to remember turning down a £250 a day rate for Service Management shortly after the cull but I have heard the rates were back up around market level.. but then they cut it by 10% etc etc..

Not sure what they are like now though.
    I see. I was assuming a day rate of £800 - £1000 with all those clauses and conditions.

Won't touch them with a well rusted barge pole.

Leave a comment:

• Sausage Surprise
    replied
    The only thing one "Gains" on that lane is a slashed tyre.
    Or smashed passenger window (once) and a keyed side panel (twice)

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    BTW, all that crap for what sort of day rates?
    I believe their rates have been up and down like the Mrs's knickers. They were okish while I was there then took a serious nose dive with a 10% cut and then a cull of all contractors. The rates offered when the doors opened again were absolutely abysmal. I seem to remember turning down a £250 a day rate for Service Management shortly after the cull but I have heard the rates were back up around market level.. but then they cut it by 10% etc etc..

Not sure what they are like now though.

Leave a comment:

• psychocandy
    replied
    If my memory serves right, it was either psychocandy or Unix who made the same point a few weeks ago. It all depends on the nature of trade. IT contractors don't carry heavy tools for their job so the client isn't really "obliged" (used in the lightest sense) to provide parking on-site for H&S reasons. Having said that, one would expect the client to relax certain rules for the disabled(real ones) contractors.
    Going the other way - I think I mentioned the client I worked for who told permies and contractors alike not to park on the public road outside the office (but to use the overflow car park 10 mins away).

They thought it got too busy and looked bad that their people were clogging up the estate. My answer tough.

Leave a comment:

• psychocandy
    replied
    You are an engaged supplier who is contractually obliged (arguable but still) to be on site or have that site as his base... So you are NOT a visitor. The fact you have a normal badge and don't have to sign the visitors book might have been a clue as well.
    and sure fire way to wind up client is to insist your a visitor and get to park where you like as if you're somewhat special....

Leave a comment:

• FatLazyContractor
    replied
    Originally posted by Sausage Surprise View Post
    You've obviously not contracted at a large retail client in Bradford then.
    The only thing one "Gains" on that lane is a slashed tyre.

Leave a comment:

• Sausage Surprise
    replied
    Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
    So is this site out of the way or in urban centre?

If its out of the way in the middle of nowhere then I'd be a bit miffed if they wouldnt let me use car park (unless there was no space) and had to catch a shuttle bus. If its town centre then your on your own imho and makes no odds if permes get parking or not.

You've obviously not contracted at a large retail client in Bradford then.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X