• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "RBS Bans Contractors From Using Car Park"

Collapse

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
    Anyone else picturing the best way that this could turn out?
    He would just cross at a suitably sign posted place?

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
    nor do I need someone to hold my hand across the road.
    Anyone else picturing the best way that this could turn out?

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    They had some strange ideas indeed. Permies got treated worse. They basically were owned by the company as far as they were concerned.

Most of the permies were help desk/call centre type but I've never seen a place with so many people marched out of the building at short notice/ please cancel account/block email. Seemed to be if you worked there in the call centre and did anything wrong they got rid of.
    Yep. Welcome to call centre life. Nothing new there. They are paid peanuts and hardly the cream of the working crop. It happens.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Reminds me of recent gig. Went to site induction meeting.

Toilets here etc. Car park there but it gets full by 730am blah blah. Overflow is here (20 mins walk) but DO NOT park on main road outside office.

So I ask why not since there are loads of cars there and no yellow lines.

Because we dont like our 'people' parking on the road and causing congestion and its a busy road so we dont want you getting run over crossing the road after parking there.

It was busy road but WTF they more or less demanded and didnt ask nicely. Not being funny but what I do before and after I arrive/leave is none of clients business and nor do I need someone to hold my hand across the road.

So I parked on the road for my time there. As did lots of the permies - but some wouldnt for fear of being told of.

It was that sort of place though....
    Well at least that's progress....

Leave a comment:

• psychocandy
    replied
    Originally posted by FatLazyContractor View Post
    Did they employ a Lollipop man/woman for people crossing the road?
    They had some strange ideas indeed. Permies got treated worse. They basically were owned by the company as far as they were concerned.

Most of the permies were help desk/call centre type but I've never seen a place with so many people marched out of the building at short notice/ please cancel account/block email. Seemed to be if you worked there in the call centre and did anything wrong they got rid of.

Leave a comment:

• FatLazyContractor
    replied

Toilets here etc. Car park there but it gets full by 730am blah blah. Overflow is here (20 mins walk) but DO NOT park on main road outside office.

Because we dont like our 'people' parking on the road and causing congestion and its a busy road so we dont want you getting run over crossing the road after parking there.

It was busy road but WTF they more or less demanded and didnt ask nicely. Not being funny but what I do before and after I arrive/leave is none of clients business and nor do I need someone to hold my hand across the road.

So I parked on the road for my time there. As did lots of the permies - but some wouldnt for fear of being told of.

Did they employ a Lollipop man/woman for people crossing the road?

Leave a comment:

• stek
    replied
    Parking on the dodgy housing estate opposite DVLA Morriston resulted in slashed tyres, however I used to park in the posh estate round the back near the cemetery, no bother...

Leave a comment:

• psychocandy
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Batcher
    replied
    Originally posted by stek View Post
    Luxury, I worked at BT NSOC on Sheffield City Centre, on shifts (for the first and last time) nightclub opposite, thump, thump, thump all night - closed at five, left the building 7am to Police Blue Tape and a torrent of fresh ish blood running down the street, knifing...

Some lads took to having a hours kip in their cars parked in the streets locally, witnessing ritualistic door mirrors being kicked off (every car on the street) and even once a posse of students running over the boots/roofs/bonnets of the entire line of parked cars on that side of the road...

Only lasted 7 months, worst role I ever had, door mirrors survived. Alfa 166, cracking car...
    That reminded me of some good times I had in Sheffield many moons ago. The nightclub across from the Cruciable was called Roxy's at the time. Google Street View shows it as an O2 Academy now.

Leave a comment:

• stek
    replied
    Every contractor should/could own two cars.

An expensive luxury one to ride into work where secure parking is provided.

A complete banger for on the street / at the pub parking.
    My Alfa 166 fulfilled both roles.....

Leave a comment:

• FatLazyContractor
    replied
    Originally posted by stek View Post
    Luxury, I worked at BT NSOC on Sheffield City Centre, on shifts (for the first and last time) nightclub opposite, thump, thump, thump all night - closed at five, left the building 7am to Police Blue Tape and a torrent of fresh ish blood running down the street, knifing...

Some lads took to having a hours kip in their cars parked in the streets locally, witnessing ritualistic door mirrors being kicked off (every car on the street) and even once a posse of students running over the boots/roofs/bonnets of the entire line of parked cars on that side of the road...

Only lasted 7 months, worst role I ever had, door mirrors survived. Alfa 166, cracking car...
    Every contractor should/could own two cars.

An expensive luxury one to ride into work where secure parking is provided.

A complete banger for on the street / at the pub parking.

Leave a comment:

• stek
    replied
    Yes, that lane should have been named 'Loss lane'

Leave a comment:

• FatLazyContractor
    replied
    Originally posted by NickNick View Post
    Vodafone in Newbury have been doing this for years. I did a contract there years ago when we were allowed to park in a separate car park next to the site, but then when asked back more recently, this had been closed and non permanent resource had to park a few miles away and get a free bus in.

It was a major PITA for me having to drive past the site every morning to get to the other side of Newbury and then having to get a bus back, added half an hour to the travel time and in the end was the reason I didn't lok for another contract there.

I completely understand why they did it though. Same with this place where I am now. If you're not in before 8 then you're out of luck when it comes to parking and they should be implementing a policy of perms only at the on site car park. But they won't.
    Yes, if you get your contractor parking at Newbury Business park, the shuttle bus ride takes around 10 mins. If you are given parking at the other site by the canal, it takes nothing less than 30 minutes.

I used to hire a car and drive straight into visitors parking and used to leave after 7 PM when gates were automatically open That way, you have a different car every week and you won't be on the records!

Having said that, if you get caught you will not have a parking allocated anywhere and at worst no contract.

Leave a comment:

• FatLazyContractor
    replied
    Originally posted by Sausage Surprise View Post
    A large retailer in Bradford also does this. Choices are to park on the road outside (and get your car keyed or windows smashed by the locals) or park at one of their local stores 3 miles away and jump on a shuttle bus.
    Yes, that lane should have been named 'Loss lane'

Leave a comment:

• BolshieBastard
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    Got out of the wrong side of the bed today Bolshie?
    Nah, bliddy football! Sends me off on one all the time

Leave a comment:

Working...
X