• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Rate dilution bait and switch"

Collapse

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
    Or a policy which would apply to everyone working on-site and so wouldn't be indicative of employment.
    I doubt the cleaners are told how many breaks they can take.

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    If they're dictating hours, making contractors clock in/out, and stipulate how many breaks can be taken, that sounds like employment to me
    Or a policy which would apply to everyone working on-site and so wouldn't be indicative of employment.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
    Oh for goodness sake... maybe I should move this back to general so that really appropriate responses can be made. "Employer" indeed.
    If they're dictating hours, making contractors clock in/out, and stipulate how many breaks can be taken, that sounds like employment to me

Leave a comment:

• JRCT
    replied
    Another good reason to get this confirmed up front is that what's expected from the client, or contracted, is often very different to what happens on the floor. I've worked in many places, contractor and perm, where people stay until 6 every day just because everyone else does and it would be 'seen' to be bad if they left on time.

Ridiculous.

Leave a comment:

• psychocandy
    replied
    Learnt the hard way on this one I have.
    Always ask at interview what the expectations are. Otherwise, it ends up like this.
    BTW - how many hours are they talking about? Or were? I'd say 37.5 is normal.

I used to think asking would put people off at interview but now I think stuff it it might be a showstopper. For instance, if gig is local then no biggie that its 8 hrs rather than 7.5 NORMALLY. But if its 90 mins drive away then it makes a bit of a difference to whether its doable or not IMHO.

Leave a comment:

• worzelGummidge
    replied
    Originally posted by tarbera View Post
    I've got similar important issues

1. I've got a 1 ear phone headphones rather than 2 I had at my old contract

2. The coffee is 40p a cup here and free and my last place

3. My chair is a different colour

Should I walk ?
    lol

Leave a comment:

• Pondlife
    replied
    Originally posted by GlenW View Post
    Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
    We wish.
    No point really. The next accounts are already lined up.

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    Originally posted by GlenW View Post
    We wish.

Leave a comment:

• GlenW
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Unix
    replied
    Originally posted by TykeMerc View Post
    It's Kandr/Russell/other banned incarnations current username, twat is part of his natural persona, it's just a case of when it emerges. As we all know he was a bonehead to not agree the hours up front or during contract negotiations.
    Of course; given his posting history; it's entirely possible the whole thread is a trolling exercise.
    TykeMerc is mine also, thought it would be fun to make a miserable sockie who's MO is to call out sockies, Meta or what?

Leave a comment:

• TykeMerc
    replied
    Originally posted by BolshieBastard View Post
    Dont talk so stupid. If you want to act like a twat, go ahead. Oh, I see you already did.
    It's Kandr/Russell/other banned incarnations current username, twat is part of his natural persona, it's just a case of when it emerges. As we all know he was a bonehead to not agree the hours up front or during contract negotiations.
    Of course; given his posting history; it's entirely possible the whole thread is a trolling exercise.

Leave a comment:

• Batcher
    replied
    Originally posted by Unix View Post
    So say you started a new place and the first day they said, BTW you have to suck the managers knob every day at 3pm. I am guessing you would have assumed you wouldn't have had to do that without asking at the interview.
    Where do I sign ?

Leave a comment:

• BolshieBastard
    replied
    So say you started a new place and the first day they said, BTW you have to suck the managers knob every day at 3pm. I am guessing you would have assumed you wouldn't have had to do that without asking at the interview.
    Dont talk so stupid. If you want to act like a twat, go ahead. Oh, I see you already did.

Leave a comment:

• tractor
    replied

Not if it wasn't in the contract and certainly only for premium rate.

But seriously, as a key part of selling knowledge, hours are important enough to discuss pre-contract and at the very latest, contract signing.

Leave a comment:

• Unix
    replied
    Originally posted by BolshieBastard View Post
    FFS, why did you 'assume' the hours would be the same!? This is something you should have clarified at interview or at the very least with the agent.

Sounds to me like you're using the excuse of a single hour per day to look for other issues you claim 'could constitute' a breach.

You need to get back to permiedom and quick.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X