• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Cardiff to Bristol Commute"

Collapse

• LivingUpNorth
    replied
    Originally posted by GrumpyContractor View Post
    Having lived in Bristol for the past 6 years, motorbike or bicycle is the only way to effectively travel through or around Brizzle however, given the Cardiff - Bristol traverse, Motorbike all the way or train then cycle.

Motorbike:

Pros: Low running costs, Low(er) bridge toll, Fast

Cons: Bridge is an absolute deathtrap on a bike when crossed in conjunction with rain, snow, lorries or even a light breeze.

Bicycle:

Pros: Fitness, Cost, Bristol is extremely cycle centric now that Mayor of red trousers has his way

Cons: Fitness, busses and van drivers will still run you over even if you are lit up like a baboons arse.
    Mayor of Red Trousers, lol. Cheers for the tips mate. Gave me a good giggle too.

Hey if I get a motorbike we could set up our own Motorbike Gang. Sons Of Anarchy style. I can picture the Harley's steaming over the Severn Bridge with Hendrix blaring now.

Leave a comment:

• GrumpyContractor
    replied
    Motorbike

Having lived in Bristol for the past 6 years, motorbike or bicycle is the only way to effectively travel through or around Brizzle however, given the Cardiff - Bristol traverse, Motorbike all the way or train then cycle.

Motorbike:

Pros: Low running costs, Low(er) bridge toll, Fast

Cons: Bridge is an absolute deathtrap on a bike when crossed in conjunction with rain, snow, lorries or even a light breeze.

Bicycle:

Pros: Fitness, Cost, Bristol is extremely cycle centric now that Mayor of red trousers has his way

Cons: Fitness, busses and van drivers will still run you over even if you are lit up like a baboons arse.

Leave a comment:

• LivingUpNorth
    replied
    Originally posted by AMH View Post
    or buy a houseboat & sleep during your commute
    Rosie and Jim style. Love it. Charge the mooring fees as expenses.

Leave a comment:

• AMH
    replied
    or buy a houseboat & sleep during your commute

Leave a comment:

• TestMangler
    replied
    Or, taking the lead from other threads, buy three boats and sell them to your Ltd.

Leave a comment:

• Sausage Surprise
    replied
    Buy a boat...(on expenses of course)

Leave a comment:

• LivingUpNorth
    replied
    Originally posted by Batcher View Post
    Cardiff has an airport. Bristol has an airport.

YANCOTBAC.
    I could always get myself a glider and scoot through under the radar.
    Last edited by LivingUpNorth; 28 January 2015, 13:02.

Leave a comment:

• malvolio
    replied

YANCOTBAC.
    But Cardiff's is closer to Swansea, and nobody wants to use Bristol Unintentional Airport...

Speaking praper Bristle's dead easy, s'no. If you can get "Cass'n back 'en, cass'n?", and someone answering "Wanna pint?" with "Oh ar, you put ee in front of I and I'll drink 'er" you've got it made.

Leave a comment:

• AMH
    replied

YANCOTBAC.

They have both have a docks as well.

Leave a comment:

• Pondlife
    replied

YANCOTBAC.
    Ah, that's what they want you to think.

It's quite possible via AMS though.

Leave a comment:

• TestMangler
    replied
    One of my easiest ever commutes was Isle Of Bute to Bristol

Ferry at 6.30AM Taxi to Glasgow Airport, fly to Brizzle (8.05- 9.10) taxi to office in Narrow Plain and in for 9.30/9.45.

Easy peasy compared to normal for me Good old Clerical Medical and their generous contractor expenses policy (at the time).

Leave a comment:

• Batcher
    replied

YANCOTBAC.

Leave a comment:

• LivingUpNorth
    replied
    Originally posted by MicrosoftBob View Post
    The next survival question, do you know how to talk Brizzle ?
    Mint innit?

Leave a comment:

• MicrosoftBob
    replied
    The next survival question, do you know how to talk Brizzle ?

Leave a comment:

• worzelGummidge
    replied
    I would take the train if at all possible.
    The M32 into and out of Central Bristol is quite bad.

Bristol Temple Meads does have some Brompton bikes for rent, which I think are really for traveling from Bristol, however it may also work the other way if using a bike at either end is easier.

I have gone the other way - North Bristol to Central Cardiff and that was about 1hr 30mins driving outside of rush hour.
    The train was 1 hour, not including travel at each end.
    Last edited by worzelGummidge; 27 January 2015, 14:47.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X