• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Why screening by outsourcers may be over the top?"

Collapse

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    Originally posted by turbowoowoo View Post
    There are numerous unlawful practices within some of these agencies who perform checks.
    So what have the police said when you reported the crime?

Leave a comment:

• turbowoowoo
    replied
    Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
    How do you propose to stop it?

BTW this is the wrong place to campaign on such issues.
    SueEllen it was more around the laissez-faire attitude shown by some comments on here.

I shall bow out of this thread..

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    I can choose to go through there process for a role should I wish, that is not my issue.

My issue is that society seems to accept this sort of intrusion and judging by some of the comments on here think nothing of it.

There are numerous unlawful practices within some of these agencies who perform checks.

For example DBS checks should only be carried out on SOME roles in the finance sector (ie banks)

Financial Services position – This means all positions for which the Financial Conduct Authority (previously the Financial Services Authority) or the competent authority for listings are entitled to ask exempted questions to fulfil their obligations under the Financial Services and Markets Act 2000

this covers only a small percentage of roles within banking yet everyone gets checked.

There are others around discrimination...

but hey, lets just accept it and grow some balls..
    How do you propose to stop it?

BTW this is the wrong place to campaign on such issues.

Leave a comment:

• turbowoowoo
    replied
    Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
    What makes it illegal to ask the question and base their recruitment experience on your response?

Have you contacted the police every time you are presented with such a form?
    I can choose to go through there process for a role should I wish, that is not my issue.

My issue is that society seems to accept this sort of intrusion and judging by some of the comments on here think nothing of it.

For example DBS checks should only be carried out on SOME roles in the finance sector (ie banks)

Financial Services position – This means all positions for which the Financial Conduct Authority (previously the Financial Services Authority) or the competent authority for listings are entitled to ask exempted questions to fulfil their obligations under the Financial Services and Markets Act 2000

this covers only a small percentage of roles within banking yet everyone gets checked.

There are others around discrimination...

but hey, lets just accept it and grow some balls..
    Last edited by turbowoowoo; 28 October 2014, 19:54.

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    It is morally wrong and the majority of the time illegal.
    What makes it illegal to ask the question and base their recruitment experience on your response?

Have you contacted the police every time you are presented with such a form?

Leave a comment:

• Batcher
    replied

As someone who has been through the Government security clearance procedures since 1996 I find it incredible that to project manage a document management systems implementation for a well know german bank, one would require a similar level of investigation and analysis as when I was reading top secret documents.

This is laughable.
    Which part of it is illegal?

Leave a comment:

• turbowoowoo
    replied
    Because they are the ones holding the purse strings. If you don't want to go through a screening process, then don't bother going through the screening process - there are plenty of other clients who don't insist on this kind of thing, so move onto one that you can work with.

What you find acceptable and what the client find acceptable is clearly different, so you need to find clients where you can agree on what is acceptable.

As someone who has been through the Government security clearance procedures since 1996 I find it incredible that to project manage a document management systems implementation for a well know german bank, one would require a similar level of investigation and analysis as when I was reading top secret documents.

This is laughable.
    Last edited by turbowoowoo; 28 October 2014, 16:46.

Leave a comment:

• tractor
    replied

Because they are the ones holding the purse strings. If you don't want to go through a screening process, then don't bother going through the screening process - there are plenty of other clients who don't insist on this kind of thing, so move onto one that you can work with.

What you find acceptable and what the client find acceptable is clearly different, so you need to find clients where you can agree on what is acceptable.
    The sad thing about this argument is actually (and everyone is missing this point) that the people demanding this level of diligence are the ones who facilitate, allow or turn a blind eye to fixing markets and overstating profits and other 'creative accounting' year after year.

But you won't change it and as Faqqer said, if you don't like it, go for another role where it is not an issue.

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    Why is that acceptable?

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    what a crock of tulipe!

why does being in debt make you a criminal?
    It doesn't, because being in debt isn't a crime. However, in the eyes of many people, if you cannot afford to run your life, and you have the chance to steal without getting caught, it would (to many) be a temptation. Whether the tempted would resort to such measures is a different matter, but since the client doesn't know you, then they have nothing else to go on.

If you have debts (and it also depends on what kind of debts) then you are also more susceptible to being offered a "small cash inducement" to do something (or not do it). Is it something that clients consider? Absolutely.

Whether they should or not is a different question, I merely offer suggestions to your question of "why".

Leave a comment:

• Eirikur
    replied
    And that's the problem..

Why is that acceptable?

there is a massive difference between due diligence and judging a person on what they may potentially do in the future.

spent too much on CC = Embezzler
    3 months out of contract = ISIS fighter
    caution for drunk and disorderly conduct as a teenager = mass murderer.

the main issue I have is why should they have access to this information working in the back office of a bank?

working with children or the public, or on secret or top secret information I agree, checks are needed, but too many companies are abusing the system
    Rules are rules, accept or walk away.
    My last contract at a financial last year had a background check coming very close to SC. Worked for a telco two years ago the check was probably at the same level as SC. Didn't like it (I just hate the fact that you need to provide character references and need to call in favours from my mates) but because of the rates on offer I sat through it.
    Last edited by Eirikur; 28 October 2014, 11:49.

Leave a comment:

• tarbera
    replied
    Why screening by outsourcers may be over the top?

what a crock of tulipe!

because you look at page 3 does that make you a potential rapist!!

jeez
    Agree completely it's over the top and especially galling when consultancies can swap unscreened staff in at the drop of a hat

Leave a comment:

• turbowoowoo
    replied
    Originally posted by eek View Post
    The rules are simple. A clientco can do any due diligence they want, you can decide whether its worth trying to satisfy that due diligence or to continue looking..
    And that's the problem..

Why is that acceptable?

there is a massive difference between due diligence and judging a person on what they may potentially do in the future.

spent too much on CC = Embezzler
    3 months out of contract = ISIS fighter
    caution for drunk and disorderly conduct as a teenager = mass murderer.

the main issue I have is why should they have access to this information working in the back office of a bank?

working with children or the public, or on secret or top secret information I agree, checks are needed, but too many companies are abusing the system

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied
    The rules are not simple and open to abuse.

Where will it end, just because someone says I want your 6 years credit history, 10 year movement, criminal history since you were 10 and want to scrutinise why you as a contractor had 3 moths off 5 years ago?

to check when you are working on back end IT systems, or on a project in a datacentre - this is ludicrous and a big brother abuse.

14 years ago I worked for Barcap, interviewed on a Friday and started on the Monday.
    The rules are simple. A clientco can do any due diligence they want, you can decide whether its worth trying to satisfy that due diligence or to continue looking..

Leave a comment:

• turbowoowoo
    replied
    If you are massively in debt, and are then in a position to be working on financial systems, some people wouldn't be able to resist the temptation to channel those spare half cents into their bank account.
    what a crock of tulipe!

because you look at page 3 does that make you a potential rapist!!

jeez

Leave a comment:

Working...
X