• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Why screening by outsourcers may be over the top?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by eek View Post

I think the rules are simple. If you want to work for them you follow their rules....
    The rules are not simple and open to abuse.

Where will it end, just because someone says I want your 6 years credit history, 10 year movement, criminal history since you were 10 and want to scrutinise why you as a contractor had 3 moths off 5 years ago?

to check when you are working on back end IT systems, or on a project in a datacentre - this is ludicrous and a big brother abuse.

14 years ago I worked for Barcap, interviewed on a Friday and started on the Monday.

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
      If you are massively in debt, and are then in a position to be working on financial systems, some people wouldn't be able to resist the temptation to channel those spare half cents into their bank account.
      what a crock of tulipe!

why does being in debt make you a criminal?

because you look at page 3 does that make you a potential rapist!!

jeez

Comment

Originally posted by turbowoowoo View Post
        The rules are not simple and open to abuse.

Where will it end, just because someone says I want your 6 years credit history, 10 year movement, criminal history since you were 10 and want to scrutinise why you as a contractor had 3 moths off 5 years ago?

to check when you are working on back end IT systems, or on a project in a datacentre - this is ludicrous and a big brother abuse.

14 years ago I worked for Barcap, interviewed on a Friday and started on the Monday.
        The rules are simple. A clientco can do any due diligence they want, you can decide whether its worth trying to satisfy that due diligence or to continue looking..
        merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
          The rules are simple. A clientco can do any due diligence they want, you can decide whether its worth trying to satisfy that due diligence or to continue looking..
          And that's the problem..

Why is that acceptable?

there is a massive difference between due diligence and judging a person on what they may potentially do in the future.

spent too much on CC = Embezzler
          3 months out of contract = ISIS fighter
          caution for drunk and disorderly conduct as a teenager = mass murderer.

the main issue I have is why should they have access to this information working in the back office of a bank?

working with children or the public, or on secret or top secret information I agree, checks are needed, but too many companies are abusing the system

Comment

Why screening by outsourcers may be over the top?

what a crock of tulipe!

because you look at page 3 does that make you a potential rapist!!

jeez
            Agree completely it's over the top and especially galling when consultancies can swap unscreened staff in at the drop of a hat

Comment

And that's the problem..

Why is that acceptable?

there is a massive difference between due diligence and judging a person on what they may potentially do in the future.

spent too much on CC = Embezzler
              3 months out of contract = ISIS fighter
              caution for drunk and disorderly conduct as a teenager = mass murderer.

the main issue I have is why should they have access to this information working in the back office of a bank?

working with children or the public, or on secret or top secret information I agree, checks are needed, but too many companies are abusing the system
              Rules are rules, accept or walk away.
              My last contract at a financial last year had a background check coming very close to SC. Worked for a telco two years ago the check was probably at the same level as SC. Didn't like it (I just hate the fact that you need to provide character references and need to call in favours from my mates) but because of the rates on offer I sat through it.
              Last edited by Eirikur; 28 October 2014, 11:49.

Comment

what a crock of tulipe!

It doesn't, because being in debt isn't a crime. However, in the eyes of many people, if you cannot afford to run your life, and you have the chance to steal without getting caught, it would (to many) be a temptation. Whether the tempted would resort to such measures is a different matter, but since the client doesn't know you, then they have nothing else to go on.

If you have debts (and it also depends on what kind of debts) then you are also more susceptible to being offered a "small cash inducement" to do something (or not do it). Is it something that clients consider? Absolutely.

Whether they should or not is a different question, I merely offer suggestions to your question of "why".
                Best Forum Advisor 2014
                Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
                Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Why is that acceptable?
                  Because they are the ones holding the purse strings. If you don't want to go through a screening process, then don't bother going through the screening process - there are plenty of other clients who don't insist on this kind of thing, so move onto one that you can work with.

What you find acceptable and what the client find acceptable is clearly different, so you need to find clients where you can agree on what is acceptable.
                  Best Forum Advisor 2014
                  Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
                  Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Because they are the ones holding the purse strings. If you don't want to go through a screening process, then don't bother going through the screening process - there are plenty of other clients who don't insist on this kind of thing, so move onto one that you can work with.

What you find acceptable and what the client find acceptable is clearly different, so you need to find clients where you can agree on what is acceptable.
                    The sad thing about this argument is actually (and everyone is missing this point) that the people demanding this level of diligence are the ones who facilitate, allow or turn a blind eye to fixing markets and overstating profits and other 'creative accounting' year after year.

But you won't change it and as Faqqer said, if you don't like it, go for another role where it is not an issue.

Comment

It is morally wrong and the majority of the time illegal.

As someone who has been through the Government security clearance procedures since 1996 I find it incredible that to project manage a document management systems implementation for a well know german bank, one would require a similar level of investigation and analysis as when I was reading top secret documents.

This is laughable.
                      Last edited by turbowoowoo; 28 October 2014, 16:46.

Comment

Working...
                      X