• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Immediate Termination from Client without serving Notice"

Collapse

• jmo21
    replied
    Originally posted by sal View Post
    Any contractor worth it's salt is prepared to lose his/hers contract as of yesterday and not whine about it, as this is business. If you don't like it, go permie.
    Easy to say, but if it happened to me, I'd be pretty annoyed too, even though I am well aware of this, and been contracting 7 years.

If it happens in the early days of your contracting career I can see how it would be particularly jarring.

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    As TF already explained, such a clause is as mute ...
    moot

Leave a comment:

• sal
    replied
    Originally posted by FatLazyContractor View Post
    A question to the rest. How did you manage to get rid of the 'Unsatisfactory performance of contractor' clause from your respective contracts?

If you haven't, aren't you in the same boat?
    As TF already explained, such a clause is as mute as all other clauses specifying termination notices. Even if you can remove it from the contract, the customer can get rid of you with no notice and no liability by simply not giving you work and not signing your timesheets.

Personally i pay no heed to any termination clauses, other than how much notice i have to give and always treat the customer side as 0 day.

Any contractor worth it's salt is prepared to lose his/hers contract as of yesterday and not whine about it, as this is business. If you don't like it, go permie.

Leave a comment:

• Scrag Meister
    replied
    Wow, that is a totally non-understanding client.

Stuff 'em, be where you need to be, it won't be the client who will be there in future decades.

Sounds like you are lucky to be out of there.

Priorities, frustrating to lose the contract but hey, welcome to contracting.

Family before Fees.

Leave a comment:

• Incognito
    replied
    Seriously, is anyone really falling for this? The chimp goes from pidgin engleesh to:

Originally posted by muds View Post
    Well, I joined this contract 4 weeks ago, no indication on my quality of work. Even in my final meeting client said, it is not a reflection on my work its just a mismatch of timing.

So its highly unlikely they were unhappy with my work.
    It's some sad sack building up a sockie.

Leave a comment:

• SpontaneousOrder
    replied
    Originally posted by meridian View Post
    If you mean that you've worked 28 straight days then fair enough. If though you mean that you've worked 4 x 5-day weeks and taken weekends off, then that's what's known as a "normal working week" and nothing to brag about....
    He wasn't bragging - just answering someone else's wonderings with regards to time taken off. Of course, as you say, being only 4 weeks in doesn't put you in a good position to be asking for time off with no notice.

Leave a comment:

• meridian
    replied
    Well this was my 4th week here and i never took a day off .....
    If you mean that you've worked 28 straight days then fair enough. If though you mean that you've worked 4 x 5-day weeks and taken weekends off, then that's what's known as a "normal working week" and nothing to brag about....

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
    Glad I cheered you up.

Though don't say your grandmother or grandfather has died unless you have a few of them.....
    You only get 4 grandparents. But there's no limit to how many cats you can have.

Leave a comment:

• tractor
    replied

Glad I cheered you up.

Though don't say your grandmother or grandfather has died unless you have a few of them.....
    Sadly, I don't have any more so I guess I have at least 4 excuses that are true forever.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by tractor View Post
    I have to say SueEllen, that is the funniest thing I have read here and I am still
    Glad I cheered you up.

Leave a comment:

• tractor
    replied

If they pry further just give say it won't happen again because the person is dead.....

OK you can say something less drastic but death normally shuts people up.
    I have to say SueEllen, that is the funniest thing I have read here and I am still

Leave a comment:

• tractor
    replied

Well this was my 4th week here and i never took a day off .....

All i wanted to know was, can client do this and if i can do anything aginst it.

Why is this thread turning out to be guess the emergency thread !!
    Because in your own desription of what happened, you sounded quite arrogant and unhelpful to your client. Sorry but that's the way you described it. If it was truly a medical or other very important emergency you would have included it in your OP and probably since. As you have chosen not to elaborate, people will make their own mind up. You should understand that many of us have seen lots of this stuff before and often, there is more to it than meets the eye.

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    Originally posted by FatLazyContractor View Post
    A question to the rest. How did you manage to get rid of the 'Unsatisfactory performance of contractor' clause from your respective contracts?

Explain that it is meaningless because they can always just cancel the work and tell you to leave anyway - you get paid for what work you do, not what is in your notice period.

Have a zero days notice period from the client (or a short notice period) which means that they have no need to terminate for "unsatisfactory performance".

Quite often, it's not the case of having it removed, it's the case of understanding what you are accepting and whether you think that is a risk factor for you to consider or not.

Leave a comment:

• FatLazyContractor
    replied

Leave a comment:

• jmo21
    replied
    The overconfident contractor used to think he is the boss, or the cold hearthed customer not capable of compassion.
    This.

Most of the regulars are currently very suspicious of your "emergency" the way you have presented it.

Regarless, emergency or not, they STILL can let you go as described if a real emergency doesn't suit them.

Harsh? Yep.

Binning you when they say there are tight timescales and that is the reason they don't want you to take time off? Something a bit funny there if you ask me.

Perfectly valid contractually? Well without seeing your contract, the only answer we can give is maybe, but given the type of contracts we commonly work under, it is probably perfectly valid.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X