• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "What happens at the end of the term?"

Collapse

• Scrag Meister
    replied
    Originally posted by Bunk View Post
    And asking them to reverse the rate cut?
    Luckily I had already had a rise, so could have been even worse off. Glass half full. Still my 3rd highest rate ever, even after the cut.

Leave a comment:

• MPwannadecentincome
    replied
    Originally posted by PerfectStorm View Post
    c) you need to intimate to both that you want to stay?
    If you want to stay its either cuz the work is not finished or you want to go permie

Leave a comment:

• Wanderer
    replied
    Originally posted by evilagent View Post
    Either way, the agent should be talking to you, asking about all the postives achieved, to sell your time into the same client, by bigging you up to the client, and getting extensions.
    Originally posted by Sausage Surprise View Post
    Not once in 10 years and 8 clients
    Me either - not happened once with at least 30 contracts or extensions.

I'm the one who goes to the client and makes a pitch to win the contract or to drum up business for a contract extension. The agents have never done tulip for me except give me the bad news when a client wants to cut the rate or terminate the contract.

Leave a comment:

• SimonMac
    replied
    Speak to the Client and start talking about preparing a handover, who will be taking up the work, that will give you the indication as to wether or not the client is expecting you to stay.

Leave a comment:

• Bunk
    replied
    Originally posted by Scrag Meister View Post
    I'm currently 6 weeks out and already know that there is a high likelihood of a renewal. Keep an eye on workload/pipeline.

However, as DaveB mentioned, I would generally wait until a month from the contract end and then send a reminder email to agency and client sponsor prompting them to start thinking about it.
    And asking them to reverse the rate cut?

Leave a comment:

• Scrag Meister
    replied
    I'm currently 6 weeks out and already know that there is a high likelihood of a renewal. Keep an eye on workload/pipeline.

However, as DaveB mentioned, I would generally wait until a month from the contract end and then send a reminder email to agency and client sponsor prompting them to start thinking about it.

Leave a comment:

• stek
    replied
    1. One month before end of contract get another at a better rate.

2. Current agent phones on last minute as usual and says with glee 'Guess what!!!!?? I got you an extension!!"

3. You play your card "But I've got a new role at a higher rate, start monday"

4. Enjoy the fireworks....

Leave a comment:

• Sausage Surprise
    replied
    You should either know the client well enough to ask them, even if obliquely, what their intentions are.

You should start getting a feel for an extension or not with 4 weeks to go to end.
    The client needs to indicate that they still want you, or to start hand-over activities for your work.
    If you want to be direct, just ask what they think your workload is going to be, and whether they are thinking of keeping you on to do it!

You need to know because you need to start putting feelers out with 2-3 weeks to go, for alternatives.

Either way, the agent should be talking to you, asking about all the postives achieved, to sell your time into the same client, by bigging you up to the client, and getting extensions.
    Not once in 10 years and 8 clients

Leave a comment:

• jmo21
    replied
    What they all said.

Found this interesting...

I've never had an agent ask me this around extension time, they just ask the client if they still need me, and it's not like I don't get extensions. I think the client usually knows well enough if they need me, based on money and workload.

OP - don't be surprised if all the prodding still results in them waiting til the last possible minute to confirm the extension

Leave a comment:

• evilagent
    replied
    You should either know the client well enough to ask them, even if obliquely, what their intentions are.

You should start getting a feel for an extension or not with 4 weeks to go to end.
    The client needs to indicate that they still want you, or to start hand-over activities for your work.
    If you want to be direct, just ask what they think your workload is going to be, and whether they are thinking of keeping you on to do it!

You need to know because you need to start putting feelers out with 2-3 weeks to go, for alternatives.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    You should really cultivate a good relationship with the client so you know whether it's the end of the project, they are running out of money, they are likely to replace you with a permanent person or want you to continue.

If they want you to continue and are organised they will tell you asap to stop you finding another contract. If they are that disorganised then really why do you want to be there?

Leave a comment:

• DaveB
    replied
    I normally wait till about a month before the end of the gig, and if nothing has been forthcoming from either client or pimp I ask both what the intention is. In the mean time I update my CV and start looking.

Leave a comment:

• PerfectStorm
    started a topic What happens at the end of the term?

What happens at the end of the term?

An odd question this but I can't seem to find the answer. What happens at the end of your contract? Is it normal for:

a) the agency gets in touch with client and works out if you're still needed?
    b) client tells you themself?
    c) you need to intimate to both that you want to stay?

Apologies for the very basic question but I'm not quite sure what 'the done thing' is in this situation and want to avoid an Elephant in the Room situation if possible

Working...
X