• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Old ones are the best ;)"

Collapse

• Whorty
    replied
    Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
    Unleaded? New fangled nonsense.
    2* ?

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    Originally posted by Whorty View Post
    I let that one go ..... poor chap still thinks he buys his unleaded from Esso in gallons
    Unleaded? New fangled nonsense.

Leave a comment:

• Whorty
    replied
    Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
    feet.
    I let that one go ..... poor chap still thinks he buys his unleaded from Esso in gallons

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    Originally posted by GigiBronz View Post
    I've been asking myself the same. Why do we still have miles, foots and gallons.
    feet.

Leave a comment:

• Eirikur
    replied
    In most modern cars you can set your mpg counter to l/100km or km/l
    I can also set my speedometer to km/h, which I do when I go to Europe, but leave it here in the UK at Miles/h not to constantly convert in my head when the speed limit changes.

I noticed the weather forecasters finally dropped converting Celcius into Fahrenheit as well (At least on the Beeb)

Leave a comment:

• Whorty
    replied
    Originally posted by GigiBronz View Post
    I've been asking myself the same. Why do we still have miles, foots and gallons. Most of the educated people that have gone through university or some kind of education definitely use and understand metric.

The only thing I can think of is that the businesses like it this way, it's easier to confuse people when units are vague.
    A car does 17mpg 25mpg doesn't seem that different, and not very intuitive. And you buy the fuel in liters. But if you would drive kilometers and it would consume in l/100km that would be freaking easy to comprehend.
    Is everything a conspiracy theory to you?

How do you get through each day, being so paranoid that everyone is out to get you?

The UK uses metric system. Everything (with the exception of beer and I'm sure a few other odds and sods) is sold in metric. Miles for road signs and car speedoes are obviously still there, but your fuel is sold in metric.

It's us, the consumer, that wants to hold on to the past, not businesses.

Leave a comment:

• GigiBronz
    replied
    I've been asking myself the same. Why do we still have miles, foots and gallons. Most of the educated people that have gone through university or some kind of education definitely use and understand metric.

The only thing I can think of is that the businesses like it this way, it's easier to confuse people when units are vague.
    A car does 17mpg 25mpg doesn't seem that different, and not very intuitive. And you buy the fuel in liters. But if you would drive kilometers and it would consume in l/100km that would be freaking easy to comprehend.

Leave a comment:

• ladymuck
    replied
    Bless 'em.

The first woman was hilarious

Leave a comment:

• Whorty
    started a topic Old ones are the best ;)

Old ones are the best ;)

Just saw this on another forum - had to share it here. Watch the archive video - hilarious. Not strictly Brexit, but .... well, you'll see ...

https://twitter.com/bbcarchive/statu...181025280?s=21

Working...
X