• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "EU asking the British government for an extension"

Collapse

• PCTNN
    replied
    Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
    How does that happen when you order fish?
    It's cute that you think you'll have a choice.

Leave a comment:

• TestMangler
    replied
    Phew, had me worried. I'm technically still employed.
    At least you'll sill get your housing benefit.

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    Originally posted by TestMangler View Post
    Because the tories have managed to turn every full time job into four part time jobs, complete with in work benefits. What are the rules again ? is it working one hour a month makes you 'employed' for statistical purposes ?
    Phew, had me worried. I'm technically still employed.

Leave a comment:

• TestMangler
    replied
    Although the unemployment rate is its lowest since 1975...blah blah conjecture and remoaner guesswork.
    Because the tories have managed to turn every full time job into four part time jobs, complete with in work benefits. What are the rules again ? is it working one hour a month makes you 'employed' for statistical purposes ?

Leave a comment:

• Peoplesoft bloke
    replied
    I wonder if Boris has formed a secret...er....pact with Jo Swinson?

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
    The EU are about to take the UK to the cleaners.

Manufacturers cut jobs at the fastest rate since 2012

The UK is in a weak position.
    Although the unemployment rate is its lowest since 1975...blah blah conjecture and remoaner guesswork.

Leave a comment:

• BlasterBates
    replied
    The EU are about to take the UK to the cleaners.

Manufacturers cut jobs at the fastest rate since 2012

The UK is in a weak position.

Leave a comment:

• LondonManc
    replied
    Originally posted by meridian View Post
    Of course. Nobody’s doubting that if there is the will, trade deals will be done.

My response was to the suggestion that “we already have a trade deal, why do things need to change”.
    I know - I was just wondering why Europe should be at the front of the queue after the way they've treated us for the last few years; mocking and deriding us, then expect to be first to be dealt with on trade deals. Shove yer VWs up yer bollix and get the Lexus imports going.

We should have more fish, and the U.K. has some of the best fishing grounds in Europe. Let’s see if it’s easier to change people’s eating habits than it is to negotiate what should be a simple and beneficial-to-both-sides trade deal.
    Well, Jamie Oliver managed to improve chicken nuggets (or something like that). Sadly, his restaurant at Watergate Bay, Newquay has now closed too. More of a community project than anything else, hopefully a richer celeb chef will take it over (expecting/hoping Rick Stein or Nathan Outlaw to dive in).

It's not exactly like getting horse in your lasagne is it?

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    Originally posted by PCTNN View Post
    Instead prepare yourself to a diet based on chlorinated chicken. yum!

Leave a comment:

• PCTNN
    replied
    Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
    We're an island nation, we should have more fish in our diet.
    Instead prepare yourself to a diet based on chlorinated chicken. yum!

Leave a comment:

• meridian
    replied
    Europe won't be any different to other big players - USA, Japan, China, South Korea when noegotiating deals with us. They know we're not poor so can price things well here.
    Of course. Nobody’s doubting that if there is the will, trade deals will be done.

My response was to the suggestion that “we already have a trade deal, why do things need to change”.

We're an island nation, we should have more fish in our diet. Always love the seafood when I get down to the South West.
    We should have more fish, and the U.K. has some of the best fishing grounds in Europe. Let’s see if it’s easier to change people’s eating habits than it is to negotiate what should be a simple and beneficial-to-both-sides trade deal.

Leave a comment:

• BlasterBates
    replied
    Europe won't be any different to other big players - USA, Japan, China, South Korea when noegotiating deals with us. They know we're not poor so can price things well here.

We're an island nation, we should have more fish in our diet. Always love the seafood when I get down to the South West.
    The fish processing industry is moving over to the EU, so the UK will be importing most of it.

Leave a comment:

• LondonManc
    replied
    The U.K. is the one changing them, by leaving the EU and walking away from all existing trade deals with the EU and arranged through the EU.

Try to understand: Brexit means the U.K. cancelling all existing trade deals with or through the EU, and it is up to the U.K. to negotiate new ones if it wants to.

That’s one way of doing it.

Also: a large proportion of fish is sold to the EU. Stop selling it there, unless you want to negotiate an agreement.

Leave a comment:

• BlasterBates
    replied
    The U.K. is the one changing them, by leaving the EU and walking away from all existing trade deals with the EU and arranged through the EU.

Try to understand: Brexit means the U.K. cancelling all existing trade deals with or through the EU, and it is up to the U.K. to negotiate new ones if it wants to.

Also: a large proportion of fish is sold to the EU. Stop selling it there, unless you want to negotiate an agreement.
    Greenland tried it and failed. It left because of a dispute over the common fisheries policy. It's now back in the common fisheries agreement exporting almost its entire stock to the EU and has to abide by EU regulations.

We can guess where Brexit is heading

Leave a comment:

• meridian
    replied
    Originally posted by original PM View Post
    Ok lets start with

Trade deals can stay the same - I mean they worked before and everyone was happy i guess so why change them?

Fishing - here's a map of UK waters - Common Fisheries Policy | The Institute for Government - stay the hell out of them unless you want to negotiate an agreement.

S'not really difficult unless you make it so.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X